ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do you think we moan too much

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Do you think we moan too much

Post by clashcityrocker »

You need to stretch first thing, before you go out on delivery and when you finish.
If you don't look after your body, you can't expect it to look after you.

I know a lot of you think you walk a half marathon every day (I don't)
Do you think people who do half marathons just rock up on the day and give it a go?
Or do they put some thought into their training, their nutrition and their levels of hydration?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too much

Post by Celgar »

I have been a postie for over twenty years now and I still enjoy the job. Having said that the executives and people at the top are running the business really badly and pressuring if not bullying everyone below them therefore I think there is a justifiable and acceptable amount of 'moaning ' on this forum. I'm not actually sure what most posters write should be called 'moaning' but maybe more a case of constructive criticism.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
GT750rider
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 216
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too much

Post by GT750rider »

norris9 wrote:
sirchewey wrote:I don't envy RM management at all, barely earning that much more than a normal postie and difficult to earn bonuses which now may not ever materialise going forward.
Salary & Benefits: Starting at £34,109, potential 10% performance related bonus.




They earn a good wage.
They are paid a good wage
matt_1983
Posts: 39
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 08:39
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by matt_1983 »

norris9 wrote:
matt_1983 wrote:I know a lot of jobs leave people tired, but the nature of this job and the distances we walk, in all weathers and on all terrains . . . I just feel like, who gives a f*** f we might “gain time”, when in order to do that we’ve been non stop for 8+ hours and that gained time will be spent absolutely knackered anyway.

And on top of everything, the squeeze from above we are all feeling, just adds a huge stress to our working days and makes me hate the company i work for.
How long have you been doing the job?

I am not glad to hear you are feeling the aches and pains, but I'm glad to hear that it's not just me. Even after a week off I am still aching at the end of the week even when I have just rested up for the week.

I feel like my achilles is about to snap most days.

I am not sure these aches will go away. 5 months and they are still here each day. So I cannot imagine doing this job for life if this is how it is. Why would I want to ache 24/7 for life.
Ive been a postie for 12 years now, started in my early twenties. In some ways you could say my job has become easier as im now doing the same duty each day and have been for a couple of years, so dont have to deal with the s**t that reserves in my office suffer with most days.

But even since 2007, the delivery span has increased significantly- back then youd be doing between 2.5 hours on a light easy day, to 3.5 possibly 4 on a heavy day. Now, its easily an extra hour on that, and there are days when to complete the duty its 5-5.5 hours.

That extra hour or two is huge when you tally it up over the course of a week/month/year. Its madness to me that we’re essentially walking 50-60 miles a week and depending on duty you can be climbing hundreds of flights of stairs a week.

And despite this extra workload, the way we are treated and made to feel is often as if we’re not doing enough and theres a constant threat of more being added. Just yesterday we were asked to take yet more lapsing. You can argue all you want that yes we had the time to do that lapsing, but to me, there has to be some common sense coming into it where management actually acknowledge that we’re not athletes, and we’re already doing so much in a day . . . pushing us yet further is really not the way to be going.

I definitely cant imagine doing this in my fifties, certainly not my 60’s. My knees are already giving me trouble, and shoulder, neck and back aches are something i live with everyday. Not to mention the toll of waking up at 5am five days a week.

People say we’re well paid etc, but thats only in comparison to other jobs that are clearly underpaid and not providing a living wage. I certainly dont feel comfortable in terms of how much money i have and things are always very tight.

I constantly tell myself i should slow down and trolley every loop, stop taking lapsing etc and pace myself so i dont ever finish early. But its really not that simple, especially working in a partnership. And the stress of telling your manager you cant take lapsing leaves myself and many in a position where its just “easier” to take the extra and go at a pace where you’ll get it all done in time, and thus avoid the other stress of doing lapsing and having to go over your time.

I used to love this job but its honestly becoming unbearable, and things only look like theyre going to get worse.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by norris9 »

matt_1983 wrote:People say we’re well paid etc, but thats only in comparison to other jobs that are clearly underpaid and not providing a living wage. I certainly dont feel comfortable in terms of how much money i have and things are always very tight.

I constantly tell myself i should slow down and trolley every loop, stop taking lapsing etc and pace myself so i dont ever finish early. But its really not that simple, especially working in a partnership. And the stress of telling your manager you cant take lapsing leaves myself and many in a position where its just “easier” to take the extra and go at a pace where you’ll get it all done in time, and thus avoid the other stress of doing lapsing and having to go over your time.

I used to love this job but its honestly becoming unbearable, and things only look like theyre going to get worse.
At least you have your own walk.

Being part time, shifted around, put on walks blind, no advice, frame never complete or barely even started, sometimes put with whiney postmen on van share....all that in a large depot with probably at least 3 years of this before getting any sniff of my own duty. For all I know it could be 10 years before I get my own duty.

Having a nice duty of my own would be wonderful. I think I'd enjoy it a lot. But not sure I can go through 3+ years of being shifted about waiting for that moment.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by citypostie »

norris9 wrote:
matt_1983 wrote:People say we’re well paid etc, but thats only in comparison to other jobs that are clearly underpaid and not providing a living wage. I certainly dont feel comfortable in terms of how much money i have and things are always very tight.

I constantly tell myself i should slow down and trolley every loop, stop taking lapsing etc and pace myself so i dont ever finish early. But its really not that simple, especially working in a partnership. And the stress of telling your manager you cant take lapsing leaves myself and many in a position where its just “easier” to take the extra and go at a pace where you’ll get it all done in time, and thus avoid the other stress of doing lapsing and having to go over your time.

I used to love this job but its honestly becoming unbearable, and things only look like theyre going to get worse.
At least you have your own walk.

Being part time, shifted around, put on walks blind, no advice, frame never complete or barely even started, sometimes put with whiney postmen on van share....all that in a large depot with probably at least 3 years of this before getting any sniff of my own duty. For all I know it could be 10 years before I get my own duty.

Having a nice duty of my own would be wonderful. I think I'd enjoy it a lot. But not sure I can go through 3+ years of being shifted about waiting for that moment.[/quote

Get used to it if you're going to stay in the job because despite all the moaning lots of people stay at royal mail along time! People are reserves for years and years (longest service reserve in my office has 16 years in ). You might get lucky and get a duty some do but I've got nearly 25 years on the job now and there are still 20+ people above me on the seniority list in an office of about 60 people
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too much

Post by postslippete »

People get emotional in every job and its because industries are driven by profit greater than its ever been before. Before privatisation and the era of providing a public service, posties had few complaints. No arguments about finishing on time or managing the workload indoors and outdoors. Now its got to a stage whereby Royal Mail will want to know what you are doing every minute of the day so that they can utilise that and fill in that gap with more work for you. It initially started off as lapsing, then fewer deliveries, and then more lapsing.

We are becoming more like Amazon every year and as a result we are becoming more tired, fatigue and stressed. If that makes us moan then I guess its because we are human.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by DrSatan »

norris9 wrote:
matt_1983 wrote:People say we’re well paid etc, but thats only in comparison to other jobs that are clearly underpaid and not providing a living wage. I certainly dont feel comfortable in terms of how much money i have and things are always very tight.

I constantly tell myself i should slow down and trolley every loop, stop taking lapsing etc and pace myself so i dont ever finish early. But its really not that simple, especially working in a partnership. And the stress of telling your manager you cant take lapsing leaves myself and many in a position where its just “easier” to take the extra and go at a pace where you’ll get it all done in time, and thus avoid the other stress of doing lapsing and having to go over your time.

I used to love this job but its honestly becoming unbearable, and things only look like theyre going to get worse.
At least you have your own walk.

Being part time, shifted around, put on walks blind, no advice, frame never complete or barely even started, sometimes put with whiney postmen on van share....all that in a large depot with probably at least 3 years of this before getting any sniff of my own duty. For all I know it could be 10 years before I get my own duty.

Having a nice duty of my own would be wonderful. I think I'd enjoy it a lot. But not sure I can go through 3+ years of being shifted about waiting for that moment.
3 years to get your own duty? That's quick, the least senior to have their own duty in our DO has 12 years.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by norris9 »

DrSatan wrote:
norris9 wrote:
matt_1983 wrote:People say we’re well paid etc, but thats only in comparison to other jobs that are clearly underpaid and not providing a living wage. I certainly dont feel comfortable in terms of how much money i have and things are always very tight.

I constantly tell myself i should slow down and trolley every loop, stop taking lapsing etc and pace myself so i dont ever finish early. But its really not that simple, especially working in a partnership. And the stress of telling your manager you cant take lapsing leaves myself and many in a position where its just “easier” to take the extra and go at a pace where you’ll get it all done in time, and thus avoid the other stress of doing lapsing and having to go over your time.

I used to love this job but its honestly becoming unbearable, and things only look like theyre going to get worse.
At least you have your own walk.

Being part time, shifted around, put on walks blind, no advice, frame never complete or barely even started, sometimes put with whiney postmen on van share....all that in a large depot with probably at least 3 years of this before getting any sniff of my own duty. For all I know it could be 10 years before I get my own duty.

Having a nice duty of my own would be wonderful. I think I'd enjoy it a lot. But not sure I can go through 3+ years of being shifted about waiting for that moment.
3 years to get your own duty? That's quick, the least senior to have their own duty in our DO has 12 years.
ahh ok. lol.

Maybe it is a 10+ year wait then. I have heard people get their own walk within a year, but I think that must have just been a rare occurrence.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Do you think we moan too much

Post by DirtyHarry »

Moan too much?
Working for these bastards?
You’ve got to be joking.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by Trail »

norris9 wrote:
DrSatan wrote:
norris9 wrote:
matt_1983 wrote:People say we’re well paid etc, but thats only in comparison to other jobs that are clearly underpaid and not providing a living wage. I certainly dont feel comfortable in terms of how much money i have and things are always very tight.

I constantly tell myself i should slow down and trolley every loop, stop taking lapsing etc and pace myself so i dont ever finish early. But its really not that simple, especially working in a partnership. And the stress of telling your manager you cant take lapsing leaves myself and many in a position where its just “easier” to take the extra and go at a pace where you’ll get it all done in time, and thus avoid the other stress of doing lapsing and having to go over your time.

I used to love this job but its honestly becoming unbearable, and things only look like theyre going to get worse.
At least you have your own walk.

Being part time, shifted around, put on walks blind, no advice, frame never complete or barely even started, sometimes put with whiney postmen on van share....all that in a large depot with probably at least 3 years of this before getting any sniff of my own duty. For all I know it could be 10 years before I get my own duty.

Having a nice duty of my own would be wonderful. I think I'd enjoy it a lot. But not sure I can go through 3+ years of being shifted about waiting for that moment.
3 years to get your own duty? That's quick, the least senior to have their own duty in our DO has 12 years.
ahh ok. lol.

Maybe it is a 10+ year wait then. I have heard people get their own walk within a year, but I think that must have just been a rare occurrence.
My line manager employed her niece. Said niece worked at RM for 4 months and got her own full-time duty. Imagine my surprise.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by aiden01 »

Trail wrote:
norris9 wrote:
DrSatan wrote:
norris9 wrote:
matt_1983 wrote:People say we’re well paid etc, but thats only in comparison to other jobs that are clearly underpaid and not providing a living wage. I certainly dont feel comfortable in terms of how much money i have and things are always very tight.

I constantly tell myself i should slow down and trolley every loop, stop taking lapsing etc and pace myself so i dont ever finish early. But its really not that simple, especially working in a partnership. And the stress of telling your manager you cant take lapsing leaves myself and many in a position where its just “easier” to take the extra and go at a pace where you’ll get it all done in time, and thus avoid the other stress of doing lapsing and having to go over your time.

I used to love this job but its honestly becoming unbearable, and things only look like theyre going to get worse.
At least you have your own walk.

Being part time, shifted around, put on walks blind, no advice, frame never complete or barely even started, sometimes put with whiney postmen on van share....all that in a large depot with probably at least 3 years of this before getting any sniff of my own duty. For all I know it could be 10 years before I get my own duty.

Having a nice duty of my own would be wonderful. I think I'd enjoy it a lot. But not sure I can go through 3+ years of being shifted about waiting for that moment.
3 years to get your own duty? That's quick, the least senior to have their own duty in our DO has 12 years.
ahh ok. lol.

Maybe it is a 10+ year wait then. I have heard people get their own walk within a year, but I think that must have just been a rare occurrence.
My line manager employed her niece. Said niece worked at RM for 4 months and got her own full-time duty. Imagine my surprise.
How was this allowed to happen??
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by Trail »

aiden01 wrote:
Trail wrote:
norris9 wrote:
DrSatan wrote:
norris9 wrote:
matt_1983 wrote:People say we’re well paid etc, but thats only in comparison to other jobs that are clearly underpaid and not providing a living wage. I certainly dont feel comfortable in terms of how much money i have and things are always very tight.

I constantly tell myself i should slow down and trolley every loop, stop taking lapsing etc and pace myself so i dont ever finish early. But its really not that simple, especially working in a partnership. And the stress of telling your manager you cant take lapsing leaves myself and many in a position where its just “easier” to take the extra and go at a pace where you’ll get it all done in time, and thus avoid the other stress of doing lapsing and having to go over your time.

I used to love this job but its honestly becoming unbearable, and things only look like theyre going to get worse.
At least you have your own walk.

Being part time, shifted around, put on walks blind, no advice, frame never complete or barely even started, sometimes put with whiney postmen on van share....all that in a large depot with probably at least 3 years of this before getting any sniff of my own duty. For all I know it could be 10 years before I get my own duty.

Having a nice duty of my own would be wonderful. I think I'd enjoy it a lot. But not sure I can go through 3+ years of being shifted about waiting for that moment.
3 years to get your own duty? That's quick, the least senior to have their own duty in our DO has 12 years.
ahh ok. lol.

Maybe it is a 10+ year wait then. I have heard people get their own walk within a year, but I think that must have just been a rare occurrence.
My line manager employed her niece. Said niece worked at RM for 4 months and got her own full-time duty. Imagine my surprise.
How was this allowed to happen??
None of us knew about it until she was stood in front of a different frame one day...then the truth came out.

Management do what the f**k they like basically.
smok3y666
Posts: 754
Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too much

Post by smok3y666 »

chrisrct wrote:You’ve only got to work your contracted hours, I’ve done 30 years still on a walk
My f***ing hero