ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by Brandy »

Mick100 wrote:I've heard they are going to issue us with a motorbike and side car that has wings
Then they could call it Pegasus! Like they called the tool for measuring walks and making them all fair :crazy: What happened to that,the same as Consignia :crazy: Then costs the company a wasted fortune. No doubt those that thought these names up got promotion :shock:
Grinder64
Posts: 245
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 17:54
Gender: Male

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by Grinder64 »

https://www.thelocal.de/20190802/post-i ... =de-latest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do the work, they get the loot. The men with the smiles and the 3 piece suits.
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by sirchewey »

A 5 day service makes sense, but not sure those figures apply to the UK. Mondays are usually quite busy for a short day (certainly not 2% of weekly volume) but Tuesday and Saturday is normally dead in comparison. I suppose we'll have to wait and see when they review it all next year (I think). I expect even if they manage to cut mail to M-F, they will extend parcel deliveries to 7 days if those volumes are increasing just to compete in the market. If this happens then we'll all still be working on a rotate but only delivering parcels on some days.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by SpacePhoenix »

sirchewey wrote:
A 5 day service makes sense, but not sure those figures apply to the UK. Mondays are usually quite busy for a short day (certainly not 2% of weekly volume) but Tuesday and Saturday is normally dead in comparison. I suppose we'll have to wait and see when they review it all next year (I think). I expect even if they manage to cut mail to M-F, they will extend parcel deliveries to 7 days if those volumes are increasing just to compete in the market. If this happens then we'll all still be working on a rotate but only delivering parcels on some days.
I wouldn't be surprised if letters and flats get made a 3 or even 4 day turn-around then RM would possibly concentrate all their sequencing in MCs. I wonder if RM would then look at possibly getting new machines which can sequence flats and letters together and maybe d2d as well. Would i be viable for RM to have dedicated d2d staff who could cover a much wider area each day?
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by sirchewey »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
sirchewey wrote:
A 5 day service makes sense, but not sure those figures apply to the UK. Mondays are usually quite busy for a short day (certainly not 2% of weekly volume) but Tuesday and Saturday is normally dead in comparison. I suppose we'll have to wait and see when they review it all next year (I think). I expect even if they manage to cut mail to M-F, they will extend parcel deliveries to 7 days if those volumes are increasing just to compete in the market. If this happens then we'll all still be working on a rotate but only delivering parcels on some days.
I wouldn't be surprised if letters and flats get made a 3 or even 4 day turn-around then RM would possibly concentrate all their sequencing in MCs. I wonder if RM would then look at possibly getting new machines which can sequence flats and letters together and maybe d2d as well. Would i be viable for RM to have dedicated d2d staff who could cover a much wider area each day?
Certainly the sequencing of letters, flats and d2d items has been looked at quite seriously from talking in length to our A+ guy after a meeting he had the other week.
The idea of dedicated d2d workforce I doubt would fly as there's a 6 day window for delivery on d2d items so wouldn't be viable to pay 2 people to walk up the same driveway. Any items not delivered during the week always get delivered on the Saturday, they just get marked up with the address by the postie and delivered on their Saturday workload. Other posties prep and deliver a 6th each day regardless of the volume of mail in the frame. Personally, I deliver where I'm going and mop up on the Friday or Saturday depending on workload.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by citypostie »

sirchewey wrote:
A 5 day service makes sense, but not sure those figures apply to the UK. Mondays are usually quite busy for a short day (certainly not 2% of weekly volume) but Tuesday and Saturday is normally dead in comparison. I suppose we'll have to wait and see when they review it all next year (I think). I expect even if they manage to cut mail to M-F, they will extend parcel deliveries to 7 days if those volumes are increasing just to compete in the market. If this happens then we'll all still be working on a rotate but only delivering parcels on some days.
The top bloke with regards to parcels said in the courier the other month that sunday delivery of parcels are hard to make profitable and the parcel industry standard is Monday to Saturday so they wouldn't be looking at Sunday delivery of parcels. So I reckon if they do Sunday parcel deliveries they will be a premium service and will cost accordingly
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by masterblaster »

centenaryman wrote:weve had 1 of the "big knobs" come to ours...couple of weeks ago.

nothing new really...plenty of I don't know or its to early to .....

yes parcel sorting machines....yep no big parcels in our office in the next 5 years....ye walks increasing in size cos were not deliviering that many parcels
bla bla
I don't know where RM are going to get an increase big parcels traffic, it's way more expensive to use RM opposed to a courier, for anything over small parcel size.
elteleltel
Posts: 120
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 17:27
Gender: Male
Location: Hertfordshire

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by elteleltel »

Parcels are the future, I see Letters becoming a 3 delivery week job after RM let the volumes slide. Go to Ofcom and say the USO is not viable now Letters are separate from Parcels, might be a few years away but we'll end up like the Milkman.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by Navalron »

hazzeem025 wrote:
Navalron wrote:
leolion855 wrote:
Navalron wrote:I have been informed by someone in middle/higher management that RM are considering selling off/franchising the WALKS that bring in more money, ie like firms and outsourcing collections. The USO will change to every other day and that basically means half the workforce going. Parcel force will be absorbed into RM and be RM parcels with every second day letters. Ist class and 2nd class letters will disappear and will become standard class, except for SD. There will be about 14 MCs left after 2023 and more MPUs. Get on to your areas and ask them what they know because if they get the go ahead then RM is finished as they cannot compete with most of the other cowboys paying £8.21 per hour and lucky if they get any shift allowances. The standard letter will be ment to arrive in the 3rd day from posting. Different postal zones were going to be introduced but that, FOR NOW, has been thought a step to far, so close after privatization. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :evil/mad :no no :so there
So they sell off the rounds that make the profit for a one off fee , keep all the loss making ones then let the business collapse. IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN SO STOP SCAREMONGERING.

Who's scaremongering? This has came from a family member, the details of their position I won't go into for obvious reasons.... wasn't that long ago that if you said posties would be doing a postman drivers job, a phg locker job, and no sat premium the same reaction would have been posted. It is happening. .
First of all you say someone from "middle/higher management" then it's a family member who is obviously this person who is "middle/higher management". Oh and then you can't name them for obvious reasons!? Like why? They may lose their job for having a big mouth? They should keep their mouth shut then shouldn't they!

But why would someone from higher management be babbling on about Royal Mails future plans to you? Knowing full well that you're bound to talk about it with other people?

Why would that person spill the beans about Royal Mails future plans! Not because they give a s**t about the workforce is it!?

YES MY FAMILY MEMBER CARES ABOUT THE STAFF BECAUSE THEY STARTED ON THE WALKS. THEY KNOW I COME ONTO THIS SITE AND THIS IS WHAT'S BEING DISCUSSED AT SENIOR LEVEL. MAYBEE YOU WON'T BE SO QUICK TO JUDGE WHEN IT STARTS HAPPENING. NEVER CALL ME A LIER EITHER YA, YOUR NOT WORTH GETING BANNED FOR. AWAY AND GET YOUR LAPSING DONE..... :cuppa
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by clashcityrocker »

Somewhere on your keyboard resides the ability to turn your caps off.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by Navalron »

clashcityrocker wrote:Somewhere on your keyboard resides the ability to turn your caps off.
Yes clash, BUT I WILL DO AS I PLEASE. I made a point that's being discussed at a high level, due to a family member being privy to these ( thoughts on the way ahead programme) but got a lot of piss taking. That's fine but when even your union don't even know then that tells you everything you need to know. I promise that what I said is being discussed. It will come out in the next several months or so but I'm willing to put my money on it. I will donate £1000 to any charity that TBT and POSTMAN decide on, if, nothing like I've said, comes about or is tried. Anybody else up for the challenge. I wish it wasn't like this but it's going to happen. Just the same as the new parcel hubs will be manned by agency ( not anguard) staff. Look at the state of the MCs that are left. Mostly casual and part time staff.. It's not good enough and that all I was trying to say. Maybe a lot of you will say, well he is out of the job, what's it got to do with him? But I hate to see ANYBODY'S wages and conditions go to f**k. Talk about YELLOW dots on the PDAs. There is more and more being added, DAILY, to these slavesoftware. I will not post anything that I find out because it seems to much grief. I thought a heads up would maybe get the union, at least at local level to start asking questions but it seems that a lot of offices don't even have reps anymore. What a shambles. Yes I've a family member in a senior position but what the hell has that got to do with anything. I hope yous beat them in the upcoming battles because the next few years are going to be the worst ever. MY MONEY STILL STANDS. :neutral:
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by leolion855 »

Navalron wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:Somewhere on your keyboard resides the ability to turn your caps off.
Yes clash, BUT I WILL DO AS I PLEASE. I made a point that's being discussed at a high level, due to a family member being privy to these ( thoughts on the way ahead programme) but got a lot of piss taking. That's fine but when even your union don't even know then that tells you everything you need to know. I promise that what I said is being discussed. It will come out in the next several months or so but I'm willing to put my money on it. I will donate £1000 to any charity that TBT and POSTMAN decide on, if, nothing like I've said, comes about or is tried. Anybody else up for the challenge. I wish it wasn't like this but it's going to happen. Just the same as the new parcel hubs will be manned by agency ( not anguard) staff. Look at the state of the MCs that are left. Mostly casual and part time staff.. It's not good enough and that all I was trying to say. Maybe a lot of you will say, well he is out of the job, what's it got to do with him? But I hate to see ANYBODY'S wages and conditions go to f**k. Talk about YELLOW dots on the PDAs. There is more and more being added, DAILY, to these slavesoftware. I will not post anything that I find out because it seems to much grief. I thought a heads up would maybe get the union, at least at local level to start asking questions but it seems that a lot of offices don't even have reps anymore. What a shambles. Yes I've a family member in a senior position but what the hell has that got to do with anything. I hope yous beat them in the upcoming battles because the next few years are going to be the worst ever. MY MONEY STILL STANDS. :neutral:
can you explain how it would be remotely workable having 20 different companies delivering the mail for streets next to each other?
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by daveyeff »

it won't happen as long as we have the union.
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by DGH »

daveyeff wrote:it won't happen as long as we have the union.
I bet Parcelforce thought the same.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

THE FRANCHISING OF WALKS.

Post by number one »

DGH wrote:
daveyeff wrote:it won't happen as long as we have the union.
I bet Parcelforce thought the same.
But it’s not the same though is it. This rubbish has been going round for years and incidentally I showed this post to a regional Director and guess what, it’s a load of rubbish