ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bluetooth in new vans

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Bluetooth in new vans

Post by Newbie001 »

I use the Bluetooth in my car to play my phone library. Radio sucks.
Don't have to be on the phone. But must've been useing for them to be sacked. Harsh, wouldn't put past them though.
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Bluetooth in new vans

Post by DGH »

Newbie001 wrote: Don't have to be on the phone. But must've been useing for them to be sacked. Harsh, wouldn't put past them though.
If they were using their phone while driving, it's not at all harsh that they were sacked. It's grossly irresponsible, everyone knows it's dangerous, there's no excuse.

Royal Mail are frequently overly harsh when sacking people. But a zero tolerance policy to phoning whilst driving is fair enough in my opinion.
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Bluetooth in new vans

Post by deltaforce »

What about eating, listening to the radio. These have been proved to be distracting whilst driving also and that bleep from that tracking device, that can distract you at times.
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Bluetooth in new vans

Post by DGH »

deltaforce wrote:What about eating, listening to the radio. These have been proved to be distracting whilst driving also and that bleep from that tracking device, that can distract you at times.
It's not illegal to eat while driving. However, if you get distracted while snacking behind the wheel, the police could prosecute you for careless driving if they consider you to not be in proper control of the vehicle, an offence which carries an on-the-spot fine of £100 and three penalty points.

However here's what the police have to say about mobile phone use, including hands free: https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q955.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Startingover
Posts: 48
Joined: 06 Jun 2018, 21:04
Gender: Male

Bluetooth in new vans

Post by Startingover »

At Xmas, the depot hired extra vehicles and the one I used allowed myself to use google maps (via blue tooth to my phone) - a lot safer than viewing the screen on the phone. Is that a sackable offence as well?
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Bluetooth in new vans

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Can't stand the mobile phone culture, why do all these people NEED to talk to each other every 5 minutes? :hmmmm .... So I wouldn't be interested in phoning someone (hands free or not) during my working day. I used to take my Dumb Phone to work just so my wife could contact me in an Emergency. But no more.

Does everyone realise that their PDA is a mobile phone? The office often phones with a question about an undelivered parcel or such like. Just get the number from the Office, and there's your Emergency contact. And no Bloody distracting Pings, and updates, going off every other minute :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Bluetooth in new vans

Post by Celgar »

I'm not of the 'mobile phone generation' but I'm not sure I see the difference between listening to the radio while you are delivering versus playing music from your mobile phone via the radio in the van. Or is that not what the OP was suggesting has happened?
Personally I would rather have a van with a CD player in it so I can play music I like rather than listen to what radio stations choose to play. I have one of the new less polluting vans with a DAB radio in it now so I no longer have the choice. Dependent on location you can't necessarily get DAB reception in the vans anyway.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Bluetooth in new vans

Post by DGH »

To be clear, if the phone's just being used to stream music, and the driver's not fiddling with the phone while at the wheel, then that's no different to listening to music via cd or the radio or whatever.

But if they were on the phone while driving then that's just flipping dangerous, unlawful and one of the few things that I think fairly warrants dismissal.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Bluetooth in new vans

Post by k979aaa »

Air Con why not it demists faster so I don't have to rev the bollocks of it to demist it and it will keep us cool in the summer?