ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The official way to claim overtime.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by Janet Brum »

Jamesfr3man wrote:I've been working for RM about 2 months now and I've only recently found out about the OT sheets! :evil/mad I assumed all the times were worked out by the signing in sheet, boy was I wrong! My DOM failed to mention its existence :arrrghhh I've been doing OT here and there since I started and have noticed that my hours are lower than they should be. When I asked my DOM they said that because I'm only part time and that sometimes I finish early (maybe an hour and a half and a Tuesday) I can't put in for OT as it will be taken from my days I finish early, is this correct? Is OT based on hours in the week or hours in the day? Am I supposed to count my hours till the end of the week and work out if I'm over or under? :shock:
That`s unacceptable, you have to be paid for the work you do.
Write down any overtime you do every day, at the end of the week go see your manager and tell him you are expecting to get xx hours OT paid.
Write down on the OT sheets all your OT worked, if you are for example on 25 hours contract over 5 days, everything worked over 5 hours is overtime.
Don`t forget to take your break or claim for it if not.

If your manager is still playing games and trying to deceive you, call HR, details on payslip.

RM can`t bank hours :arrrghhh
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by Jamesfr3man »

Janet Brum wrote:
Jamesfr3man wrote:I've been working for RM about 2 months now and I've only recently found out about the OT sheets! :evil/mad I assumed all the times were worked out by the signing in sheet, boy was I wrong! My DOM failed to mention its existence :arrrghhh I've been doing OT here and there since I started and have noticed that my hours are lower than they should be. When I asked my DOM they said that because I'm only part time and that sometimes I finish early (maybe an hour and a half and a Tuesday) I can't put in for OT as it will be taken from my days I finish early, is this correct? Is OT based on hours in the week or hours in the day? Am I supposed to count my hours till the end of the week and work out if I'm over or under? :shock:
That`s unacceptable, you have to be paid for the work you do.
Write down any overtime you do every day, at the end of the week go see your manager and tell him you are expecting to get xx hours OT paid.
Write down on the OT sheets all your OT worked, if you are for example on 25 hours contract over 5 days, everything worked over 5 hours is overtime.
Don`t forget to take your break or claim for it if not.

If your manager is still playing games and trying to deceive you, call HR, details on payslip.

RM can`t bank hours :arrrghhh
This is super helpful, no one at my DO has told me any of this. My DOM keeps the OT sheet in their office and locks it when they’re out :evil/mad I didn't even know I was allowed a break let alone be able to claim it back. Stuff like this should be explained to us newbies. So, based on what you’re saying I should work out all my OT during the week and bring it to my DOM at the end of the week including meal breaks I don't use (which is every day). You wouldn’t by chance know how long my break would be? I'm on a 25-hour contract 9.00 till 2.00 most days. I have asked my DOM if I get a break and they’ve just said "no" as I'm only part time doing 5 hour shifts and don’t merit one.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by Janet Brum »

You definately should call HR and tell them all what your manager said, that`s taking the piss.
And also the CWU area rep.

You are entitled to a meal relief and if you don`t take it, you can claim it all or 20 minutes at the end of your shift, depending how others are doing it in your office.

Don`t tell your manager that you are claiming for your break, just include 20 minutes or more in your OT, depending how many hours you worked in total in a day.

You have 20 minutes break if work between 3 and 4 hours 59 minutes in a day, 30 minutes meal relief if you work more than 5 hours up to 7, 40 minutes between 7 and 10 hours, one hour over 10 hour worked.

Read as much as you can off this forum, is a invaluable source of information.
And don`t be affraid to claim your rights, your manager is taking he piss.
I have asked my DOM if I get a break and they’ve just said "no" as I'm only part time doing 5 hour shifts and don’t merit one.
I am fuming, that manager shouldn`t manage anything.
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by picture123 »

If you have been booked to come in early on overtime or think you're going to be over your time on delivery say to your manager and get your overtime preauthorised. They should sign it off there and then that it's authorised. When you return write on the overtime docket what you're actually over.

You can't claim your full meal relief on overtime as it is against the working time directive to take full break at end of shift. You should be having half during shift and claiming other half if you don't have time to take it in your shift.

If you finish early a day go and speak to your manager about finding alternative work so your overtime is protected. It's against the code business standards to claim overtime for hours not worked. As in you can't claim for being an hour over on a Monday and head home two hours early on a Tuesday. You must actually have worked above your contracted hours to claim overtime.

If your manager disputes any of it just hand them back whatever you can't do within your time. Keep a diary of your start and finish time each day and it'll keep you on track.
par4mrl
Posts: 89
Joined: 21 Feb 2013, 22:34
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by par4mrl »

And don’t forget to claim o/t for starting early !!
world class male
Posts: 906
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by world class male »

picture123 wrote:As in you can't claim for being an hour over on a Monday and head home two hours early on a Tuesday. You must actually have worked above your contracted hours to claim overtime
this is "banking" and cannot be used (unless they have a deal) so if they did happen to miraculously end 2hrs early it's up to the mismanagement team to find you work,
any overtime claimed on other days should still be paid regardless.

as for the original Q about claiming, we usually need to estimate before we go out to avoid being scammed, always add 15-30 mins to the estimate and re-adjust the next day when signing for it.
1 funny situation with estimates is 1 pair can guess they'll probably be 1 hour over and they'll happily agree to pay it, but when a pair on next frame say they've got 30 mins worth to leave in with a similar or even more workload they say they are then under forecast and should be able to complete on time :left:
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by yellowbelly »

Jamesfr3Man

You might find the info in this CWU Delivery Members Handbook useful.....

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... ry+members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by norris9 »

How often do u guys claim overtime.... is it a daily thing? or is it just on the busier days (Wednesdays + Thursdays), or is it rare that you go over your time?

Also, when do you start claiming overtime. Surely people don't claim if they are 5mins over? I'd assume people likely only claim if they are 15mins over or more?
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I went in the office once to book 46 seconds :left: got told to start 46 seconds later the next day :Very Happy
KernowDeth
Posts: 33
Joined: 29 Nov 2021, 22:26
Gender: Male

Re: The official way to claim overtime.

Post by KernowDeth »

So when claiming overtime can you claim for odd minutes or just full hours

Reason I ask is I am new and this week for example had no official breaks but was told can claim 40mins on 8hr shift per day 5×40 is 3hrs 20mins , I claim this or just 3 hours
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: The official way to claim overtime.

Post by sindba »

KernowDeth wrote: ↑
06 Jan 2022, 22:38
So when claiming overtime can you claim for odd minutes or just full hours

Reason I ask is I am new and this week for example had no official breaks but was told can claim 40mins on 8hr shift per day 5×40 is 3hrs 20mins , I claim this or just 3 hours
Claim on a daily basis, not weekly. Try to make managers aware in advance that you might be claiming o/t

Make sure o/t claim gets written on the overtime sheet on the day worked, or first thing next morning if not.

Technically you can claim any time over as overtime, but personally I usually only claim if it's more than about 20 minutes. If it's 40 a day, definitely claim, 100%
KernowDeth
Posts: 33
Joined: 29 Nov 2021, 22:26
Gender: Male

Re: The official way to claim overtime.

Post by KernowDeth »

Thank you
My DOM asks for total at end of week , dont have any sheets to fill in
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: The official way to claim overtime.

Post by sindba »

KernowDeth wrote: ↑
06 Jan 2022, 23:20
Thank you
My DOM asks for total at end of week , dont have any sheets to fill in
Ok well in that case make sure you claim every single minute worked over.

And keep a note, make sure you are paid the correct amount. If you aren't, kick up a fuss immediately. Involve your rep if necessary.

And take your breaks, you need them!
denhamhoop
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 303
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: The official way to claim overtime.

Post by denhamhoop »

KernowDeth wrote: ↑
06 Jan 2022, 23:20
Thank you
My DOM asks for total at end of week , dont have any sheets to fill in
Ask the DOM for the 552 form on a daily basis and WHEN(Yep they will argue) they dispute how much time you went over say no problem I will be cutting off and bringing back what's left to deliver at my exact finishing time every day from here on in. Then let's see if their attitude changes
nobLe97
Posts: 14
Joined: 23 Nov 2021, 19:33
Gender: Male

Re: The official way to claim overtime.

Post by nobLe97 »

What I didn’t know when I started was that because I’m on a 24hr contract but work 5 days pw, so about 6 hours a day that I have to add the extra day as OT on top of the others. So basically every day I have to claim about 1.30hr OT to make sure I get paid for 5 days. So my payslip has my standard 24hrs then seperate OT of about 6 hrs