ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The official way to claim overtime.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Tasha27
Posts: 3
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 09:31
Gender: Female

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by Tasha27 »

Hi all,

I've only been a postie for a week, and (whilst I'm getting used to the job and picking my pace up), i've inevitably been working over time.

Unfortunately my manager is renowned for trying to cheat people out of their OT money.

So, what is the official way to claim it? I want to nip it in the bud now that I won't work OT without pay, and I want to claim it properly to avoid any arguments.

Thanks
dodgyinlaws
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 69
Joined: 28 Jan 2011, 21:19
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by dodgyinlaws »

To cover ourselves in our office we give an estimated forecast to the manager on how long we may be over our time before we leave the office. If i forecast 30 minutes and i actually work over 45 minutes the 45 minutes goes on the overtime sheet. I always give a forecast of 20 minutes even if i think i might be back on time, it only takes a few door knocks to slow you down once you are out there.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by Seymour Buts »

Tasha27 wrote:Hi all,

I've only been a postie for a week, and (whilst I'm getting used to the job and picking my pace up), i've inevitably been working over time.

Unfortunately my manager is renowned for trying to cheat people out of their OT money.

So, what is the official way to claim it? I want to nip it in the bud now that I won't work OT without pay, and I want to claim it properly to avoid any arguments.

Thanks
Every office is different (it would appear). Just ask a collegue how they look any overtime.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by DrSatan »

number one wrote:
daveyeff wrote:
number one wrote:They want a minimum walking speed to be introduced. It’s just like saying just because someone walks quicker why should they have to do more work? Works both ways
they wont get a minimum walking speed. there is too many variants/age difference/fitness levels/capabilities for that. a postie in their 50s/60s cannot be expected to perform like a 20/25 year old. some have back problems, hips, knees, feet, etc etc. it wont happen until we are all dead and they start a brand new superfit workforce at 18years starting age and brainwashed to think the management are effing great.
So what is the solution? If somebody takes a long time to do a round due to age/fitness/back problems etc and someone finishes their round quicker because they are more able bodied should they be expected to do more work?
From another view, is it fair for someone that has bad knees, hips etc so they are naturally slower, doesn't get any help with their job from someone quicker?

Yes they should be expected to do more work, if there is still something else to do while they are within their contracted hours. We are paid by the hour, not salary.

I would like to be able to do my duty and no other work and go home early, who wouldn't! But this is not what our employer wants from us. They want value for money for the wages that they pay us.

Unfortunately with most jobs in this world, the better you are at the job, the more work you tend to do.
kingdazzler
Posts: 41
Joined: 18 Mar 2019, 13:29
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by kingdazzler »

In my DO we have sheets that are filled in by management at the end of your round. just make sure that the sheet is signed by the manager and you. it's up to you to claim for every minute you do over your contracted hours. even if it's only 10 minutes claim it all adds up.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by robbertwhitton »

kingdazzler wrote:In my DO we have sheets that are filled in by management at the end of your round. just make sure that the sheet is signed by the manager and you. it's up to you to claim for every minute you do over your contracted hours. even if it's only 10 minutes claim it all adds up.
Oh the joy and Luxury having a manager at your own office to see exactly what goes on,and manage accordingly
Tasha27
Posts: 3
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 09:31
Gender: Female

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by Tasha27 »

dodgyinlaws wrote:To cover ourselves in our office we give an estimated forecast to the manager on how long we may be over our time before we leave the office. If i forecast 30 minutes and i actually work over 45 minutes the 45 minutes goes on the overtime sheet. I always give a forecast of 20 minutes even if i think i might be back on time, it only takes a few door knocks to slow you down once you are out there.

Thanks for that - totally makes sense. I'll do that in future :)
Tasha27
Posts: 3
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 09:31
Gender: Female

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by Tasha27 »

kingdazzler wrote:In my DO we have sheets that are filled in by management at the end of your round. just make sure that the sheet is signed by the manager and you. it's up to you to claim for every minute you do over your contracted hours. even if it's only 10 minutes claim it all adds up.
We have our fire evacuation sheet, but that's all. Not sure the manager even signs that, but I'm making sure that once filling it out, I keep note of the hours. I guess this is the best proof for me to go off!
exetererica
Posts: 152
Joined: 07 Nov 2010, 11:21
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by exetererica »

.
Last edited by exetererica on 20 Apr 2020, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by Jamesfr3man »

I've been working for RM about 2 months now and I've only recently found out about the OT sheets! :evil/mad I assumed all the times were worked out by the signing in sheet, boy was I wrong! My DOM failed to mention its existence :arrrghhh I've been doing OT here and there since I started and have noticed that my hours are lower than they should be. When I asked my DOM they said that because I'm only part time and that sometimes I finish early (maybe an hour and a half and a Tuesday) I can't put in for OT as it will be taken from my days I finish early, is this correct? Is OT based on hours in the week or hours in the day? Am I supposed to count my hours till the end of the week and work out if I'm over or under? :shock:
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Jamesfr3man wrote:I've been working for RM about 2 months now and I've only recently found out about the OT sheets! :evil/mad I assumed all the times were worked out by the signing in sheet, boy was I wrong! My DOM failed to mention its existence :arrrghhh I've been doing OT here and there since I started and have noticed that my hours are lower than they should be. When I asked my DOM they said that because I'm only part time and that sometimes I finish early (maybe an hour and a half and a Tuesday) I can't put in for OT as it will be taken from my days I finish early, is this correct? Is OT based on hours in the week or hours in the day? Am I supposed to count my hours till the end of the week and work out if I'm over or under? :shock:
Your manager is a lying thieving scum bag. If you finish early and there is no more work to do you got home. If you got over you book every minute worked. They can not take hours off you because you finished early on a Tuesday. If in the union get your rep on the case. Ps keep a note of all your hours worked.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by yellowbelly »

Jamesfr3man wrote:I've been working for RM about 2 months now and I've only recently found out about the OT sheets! :evil/mad I assumed all the times were worked out by the signing in sheet, boy was I wrong! My DOM failed to mention its existence :arrrghhh I've been doing OT here and there since I started and have noticed that my hours are lower than they should be. When I asked my DOM they said that because I'm only part time and that sometimes I finish early (maybe an hour and a half and a Tuesday) I can't put in for OT as it will be taken from my days I finish early, is this correct? Is OT based on hours in the week or hours in the day? Am I supposed to count my hours till the end of the week and work out if I'm over or under? :shock:
If you come under your contracted hours it is up to your manager to find you suitable work to do up to your finishing time (perhaps making up D2D's etc etc.).

If he/she can't find you any work then they could technically I suppose make you stay at work twiddling your thumbs until your
finishing time (but they would really have to be a jobsworth to do that).

OT is based on work above your daily contracted duty hours.

Your manager appears to be trying to (mis)use the flexing procedure which is detailed in the Pay and Modernisation Agreement
2007 and also the CWU Postal Delivery Members Handbook.
Where necessary, for example when traffic volumes are unexpectedly high or resourcing issues arise, individuals may be asked and may themselves request to vary their duty times by up to 30 minutes on a 'swings and roundabouts basis'. Individual circumstances will be taken into account and total weekly contractual hours will not change. This means that individuals may flex their duty times by up to 30 minutes on any given day and this will be balanced either way over the next 5 working days. However this period can be extended by local agreement. A local record will be kept. Any requirement to change times of attendance or flex will take into account individual's personal obligations and responsibilities.
Get your union rep onto it big style (and join the union if you haven't already done so)!!!! He/she is trying it on basically because you're new.....
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by Brandy »

Think it really all depends on how greedy your manager is,whether they pay the correct overtime that is due.
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by Jamesfr3man »

yellowbelly wrote:
Jamesfr3man wrote:I've been working for RM about 2 months now and I've only recently found out about the OT sheets! :evil/mad I assumed all the times were worked out by the signing in sheet, boy was I wrong! My DOM failed to mention its existence :arrrghhh I've been doing OT here and there since I started and have noticed that my hours are lower than they should be. When I asked my DOM they said that because I'm only part time and that sometimes I finish early (maybe an hour and a half and a Tuesday) I can't put in for OT as it will be taken from my days I finish early, is this correct? Is OT based on hours in the week or hours in the day? Am I supposed to count my hours till the end of the week and work out if I'm over or under? :shock:
If you come under your contracted hours it is up to your manager to find you suitable work to do up to your finishing time (perhaps making up D2D's etc etc.).

If he/she can't find you any work then they could technically I suppose make you stay at work twiddling your thumbs until your
finishing time (but they would really have to be a jobsworth to do that).

OT is based on work above your daily contracted duty hours.

Your manager appears to be trying to (mis)use the flexing procedure which is detailed in the Pay and Modernisation Agreement
2007 and also the CWU Postal Delivery Members Handbook.
Where necessary, for example when traffic volumes are unexpectedly high or resourcing issues arise, individuals may be asked and may themselves request to vary their duty times by up to 30 minutes on a 'swings and roundabouts basis'. Individual circumstances will be taken into account and total weekly contractual hours will not change. This means that individuals may flex their duty times by up to 30 minutes on any given day and this will be balanced either way over the next 5 working days. However this period can be extended by local agreement. A local record will be kept. Any requirement to change times of attendance or flex will take into account individual's personal obligations and responsibilities.
Get your union rep onto it big style (and join the union if you haven't already done so)!!!! He/she is trying it on basically because you're new.....
CPTNemoUK wrote:
Jamesfr3man wrote:I've been working for RM about 2 months now and I've only recently found out about the OT sheets! :evil/mad I assumed all the times were worked out by the signing in sheet, boy was I wrong! My DOM failed to mention its existence :arrrghhh I've been doing OT here and there since I started and have noticed that my hours are lower than they should be. When I asked my DOM they said that because I'm only part time and that sometimes I finish early (maybe an hour and a half and a Tuesday) I can't put in for OT as it will be taken from my days I finish early, is this correct? Is OT based on hours in the week or hours in the day? Am I supposed to count my hours till the end of the week and work out if I'm over or under? :shock:
Your manager is a lying thieving scum bag. If you finish early and there is no more work to do you got home. If you got over you book every minute worked. They can not take hours off you because you finished early on a Tuesday. If in the union get your rep on the case. Ps keep a note of all your hours worked.
Thanks for the info, sounds like my DOM is just trying it on as you've said :mad Unfortunately, we don't have a union rep at our office or at least one that I've ever seen or met, from my understanding everyone calls him "the ghost" as he's never in the DO. Would you bring this to a national or regional rep? I've just started in the job and don't want to piss everyone off as I'm just a part timer and have already butted heads with some of the other blue shirts about starting early for free etc. :nervous
eggraidonmojo
Posts: 120
Joined: 06 Nov 2012, 16:44
Gender: Male

The official way to claim overtime.

Post by eggraidonmojo »

Jamesfr3man wrote:
Thanks for the info, sounds like my DOM is just trying it on as you've said :mad Unfortunately, we don't have a union rep at our office or at least one that I've ever seen or met, from my understanding everyone calls him "the ghost" as he's never in the DO. Would you bring this to a national or regional rep? I've just started in the job and don't want to piss everyone off as I'm just a part timer and have already butted heads with some of the other blue shirts about starting early for free etc.
If there's no office rep, the next one up is your area rep. Best thing to do is to contact your branch and find out who the area rep is from there: https://www.cwu.org/contact-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But you could just tell your manager you're sure he's talking rubbish, get it confirmed from HR (number on back of payslip) if you like. If he still doesn't pay your ot, then go to the area rep.