ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Meal Relief

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
work
Posts: 231
Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Meal Relief

Post by work »

yellowbelly wrote:
Celgar wrote:
Burghboy wrote:We are made to take our break 13 minutes after we start time. 10 minutes after the full timers go on theirs so we both finish break at same time.
Personally I think this is the best option. You are entitled to breaks and if you don't take them RM just to push to give us more work. If breaks are not enforced most posties don't take them at all.
That's ridiculous - it might fit RM's plan and the FT'ers work schedule but it means you're going to be more fatigued later when you've
been working 5-6 hours without a break!!!!
Been put on leave cover for two weeks...worked out that the ft takes lapsing and when we get there, i take my break and he can do 'his' lapsing...i never get asked if i'm 'taking it', plus i don't agree with the extra absorption of 'someone else's work'. he really hates me taking my break but ditto - i really hate the ft effectively trying to push more work onto me the passenger, who has enough walking (thank you) to warrant the full 30 mins meal 'relief'. :thumbup
work
Posts: 231
Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Meal Relief

Post by work »

Woody Guthrie wrote:As Clash points out we are a unionised business bound by collective bargaining which means it is not up to the individual when they take their break and neither is it up to the individual manager.

Breaks should be scheduled as part of the revision process subject to the relevant agreement which is still the way forward agreement and compliant with relevant legislation.

The revision process is subject to a vote by the members of that particular unit. Once agreed members should take their breaks in line with that agreed revision process.

Each unit will have a different revision so arguments about what happens in one unit or another are pointless.
arguments about whether we accept lapsing daily seems to be the ft's decision so THEY CAN DO BOTH LOOPS...whilst i take my break...unless told otherwise then seems fair/ultimate karma for the pt fraternity...Been put on leave cover for two weeks...worked out that the ft' decision to take lapsing and when we get there, i take my break and he can do 'his' lapsing...i never get asked if i'm 'taking it', plus i don't agree with the extra absorption of 'someone else's work'. he really hates me taking my break but ditto - i really hate the ft effectively trying to push more work onto me the passenger, who has enough walking (thank you) to warrant the full 30 mins meal 'relief'. :thumbup
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Meal Relief

Post by robbertwhitton »

God what a minefield this is?as ever the bosses aren’t pro active in this area to make sure you have your breaks and show it how it is,and roll there eyes and huff and puff if you have your breaks and don’t complete,they seem to think it’s all light days now and preach the traffic forecast figures,it does take some willpower to have your breaks etc whilst others are finished and long gone,as selfish as it seems that’s a fact,boss threatens to implement it but hasn’t and won’t!of course we shouldn’t work for free,finish early one day finish late the next he says it evens itself out?i think not,I guess with a workforce that’s been in post for several years they are reluctant to alter their ways and finish time,but boy don’t they winged on when it’s a heavy day,and still finish way short of there time,busy maybe but not enough to finish late and claim or god forbid cut off?
nuisance
Posts: 215
Joined: 06 Oct 2016, 12:57
Gender: Female

Meal Relief

Post by nuisance »

As a part timer who frequently does extra loop overtime, my working hours are, generally, starting between 7.45 and 9.00, and finishing between 14.00 and 17.00. What good is a break at 9.30ish in the morning? None whatsoever. I don't need a rest yet, I daren't have a drink as it will leave me needing the loo more as soon as I get out and I've only just had breakfast before going to work. Ridiculous policy and our ex-rep wasn't interested when I moaned about it. I just miss my break now and hope if I do finish early I'll be allowed to carry on into doing my overtime loops early and not be given extra work. I refuse to take a break when it is of no benefit to me whatsoever and this needs addressing because I would actually quite like a proper lunch break at lunch time when I'll be delivering past 16.00.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Meal Relief

Post by leolion855 »

nuisance wrote:As a part timer who frequently does extra loop overtime, my working hours are, generally, starting between 7.45 and 9.00, and finishing between 14.00 and 17.00. What good is a break at 9.30ish in the morning? None whatsoever. I don't need a rest yet, I daren't have a drink as it will leave me needing the loo more as soon as I get out and I've only just had breakfast before going to work. Ridiculous policy and our ex-rep wasn't interested when I moaned about it. I just miss my break now and hope if I do finish early I'll be allowed to carry on into doing my overtime loops early and not be given extra work. I refuse to take a break when it is of no benefit to me whatsoever and this needs addressing because I would actually quite like a proper lunch break at lunch time when I'll be delivering past 16.00.

give this to your dom.

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taking breaks
Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time as long as:

the break is taken in one go somewhere in the middle of the day (not at the beginning or end)
workers are allowed to spend it away from their desk or workstation (ie away from where they actually work)
It doesn’t count as a rest break if an employer says an employee should go back to work before their break is finished.