ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dreading next week

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by greengiant »

scoobydo79 wrote:
Sledge4211 wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:Time to grow a pair.Were all in it together things will only get worse if We all shut our eyes and hope for a quiet life.
People like you shouldn’t even be in Royal Mail - you have no understanding with people with mental health issues, DISGRACE
You don’t know Me and You and I have never Met.You have no right to say that.Perhaps it’s You who should not be in Royal Mail?
What right do you have to tell someone to "grow a pair"?

It's comments like "man up", "grow a pair" which can eventually lead to someone taking their own life...
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by greengiant »

grandypants wrote:I suffer with anxiety and depression and anything out of the ordinary really really disturbs me, I know next week things are going to be implemented by our manager and probably there will either be a sit in or a walk out, I cannot cope with this sort of situation I cannot cope with my routine being broken , Im sure most will not understand why I wont sit in the canteen or stand on the gate I just want to stay away and go home people see it as a lack of support but that is not the case its just the way I am, this weekend has been spent worrying about Monday morning and what it brings.
How did it go today?
beanmuncha
Posts: 305
Joined: 21 Aug 2007, 23:11

Dreading next week

Post by beanmuncha »

scoobydo79 wrote:Time to grow a pair.Were all in it together things will only get worse if We all shut our eyes and hope for a quiet life.
I really hope you or someone close to you never suffer from this, i know a few people that have, people you would never think would be depressed or anxious.
It is a horrible thing to go thru and it does not help with silly comments, people are different and we deal with things differently. So a little understanding would
go along way, an apology to him would not go a miss.
You said we are all in it together, yes we are and WE should look after each other not put our colleagues down because we think they are weak, we should help
them and support them.
Jen1
Posts: 231
Joined: 31 Oct 2018, 12:00
Gender: Female

Dreading next week

Post by Jen1 »

I think u r all bullying Scooby and should all be ashamed :so there

He's just saying sometimes you've just got to get on with it, bite the bullet when you look back you'll realise there was nothing to worry about. After all how does worrying help a situation?

I do understand what comfort routine can provide. Sometimes we have to come out of our comfort zone just for a short time to make things better.

If you are really not feeling strong enough at the moment then you need to take the day off sick but if you refuse to tackle every obstacle that stands in your way how will you ever become stronger?

Motivational music helps me to overcome my demons don't know if that's helpful guess everyone has there own coping stratergies
richietns
Posts: 1102
Joined: 17 Oct 2011, 18:09
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by richietns »

Jen1 wrote:I think u r all bullying Scooby and should all be ashamed :so there

He's just saying sometimes you've just got to get on with it, bite the bullet when you look back you'll realise there was nothing to worry about. After all how does worrying help a situation?

I do understand what comfort routine can provide. Sometimes we have to come out of our comfort zone just for a short time to make things better.

If you are really not feeling strong enough at the moment then you need to take the day off sick but if you refuse to tackle every obstacle that stands in your way how will you ever become stronger?

Motivational music helps me to overcome my demons don't know if that's helpful guess everyone has there own coping stratergies
Grandypants isn't in a comfort zone quite the opposite positive comments help anxiety.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by scoobydo79 »

Thank You Jen .You get Me,TrueBlueTerrier and maybe some others. A couple of others didn’t.
I’m willing to bet the OP is an older Guy (60ish)with a lot of years service who just wants to do the job as He always has done then go home.Its gonna change big time in the next few years.Im from a pretty militant office and by the look of it some on here arnt.
Jen1
Posts: 231
Joined: 31 Oct 2018, 12:00
Gender: Female

Dreading next week

Post by Jen1 »

Rich I don't fully understand what u r saying? Grandypants said he can't cope with his routine being broken. So isn't his routine his comfort zone? But totally agree that positive and encouraging words and even reassuring words can help with anxiety.

I was more going for reassuring it wont be as bad as you think, you can do this type thing as I'm sure his co-workers would say and because I feel that's probably the truth.

And Scooby really!!!!! WTF!!!! :roll: Do u want to sound ageist now??? wonder how many people r going to shout u down for pidgin holing the nearing retirement age?? You just can't help some people :arrrghhh
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by scoobydo79 »

OMG !! What have I done now?Im not being ageist. What’s the problem with what I’ve just said.? Age comes to us all !! The older We get the more resisatnt We become with change.Ive said nothing wrong!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Judging from the ammount of Posties that do suffer from Depression & Anxiety I find it very Ironic when RM start going on about being concerned about their Employee's Mental Health. :hmmmm I agree that this Business is one of the most toxic work environments I've ever been in. :thumbdown I believe the Blame can be laid firmly at the feet of Low-Level Managers, who have zero people skills, and sod all sypathy, let alone any empathy. :no no Admitedly some Managers are better than others, but they're the Best of a Bad bunch.. :no no

Some of our Colleagues also have a lot to answer for, and really should be brought to book. Too much is allowed to slip and explained away as "Office Banter". :no no I consider myself a Self Confident person, and resistant to much of the usual Office Bullshit, but I have had words with several colleagues about their attitude to me, on occasions. Most try to laugh it off with the old , "Can't you take a joke mate"? which IMO is just another way of saying, "Bugger he's called me on this one, I'd better start back peddaling". If you mention that if their behaviour to you doesn't improve you'll be phoning the Harassment & Bullying Helpline you normally find them winding their necks in , pretty sharpess. If you can talk to your DOM that's obviously the first step but most of them seem unable to deal with these situations. :speak to the hand If you're feeling that ill your Doctor could simply sign you off work. It's in RMs interest to sort this kind of thing out early, before you need to go sick, as it can be a long term problem. My Wife was off work for over a year with Depression & Anxiety, so I know what a problem it can be. Good Luck. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
gunho
Posts: 59
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 20:15
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by gunho »

Scoobydo don’t worry about it as some people on here take everything the wrong way. Don’t get into an internet war with people as it will drag you down. You can’t say what you believe in anymore in this world
Caesar
Posts: 234
Joined: 22 Nov 2018, 12:23
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by Caesar »

grandypants wrote:I suffer with anxiety and depression and anything out of the ordinary really really disturbs me, I know next week things are going to be implemented by our manager and probably there will either be a sit in or a walk out, I cannot cope with this sort of situation I cannot cope with my routine being broken , Im sure most will not understand why I wont sit in the canteen or stand on the gate I just want to stay away and go home people see it as a lack of support but that is not the case its just the way I am, this weekend has been spent worrying about Monday morning and what it brings.
Joining the CWU 3 months ago is the first time I've ever been a union member. I thought about it long and hard but after reading about various issues with RM, I decided to join.
My biggest fear, being a union members is having walk out/sit in. Like the post above I like to have a routine but I'm more worried about the social part of sitting in the canteen or standing on the gate. Many would say that you can just be there without talking to anybody but just being there would cause a lot of anxiety and like the post above, I would prefer to either stay at home or get on with my job.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by scoobydo79 »

Right let’s have another try lol.Caesar You have made a good decision.Also as I said previously no one is on their own. Most people will have concerns.With You somewhere will be people with large mortgages.Car loans to pay off,probationers on trial periods children elderly relatives they support and all sorts of other worries including the same things You have mentioned.
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by grchpo »

Back to the original post, was today as bad as you thought?
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Dreading next week

Post by maisymoo04 »

grandypants gone quite ?????????? :so there :so there :so there :hmmmm :hmmmm
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Dreading next week

Post by Navalron »

Sledge4211 wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:Time to grow a pair.Were all in it together things will only get worse if We all shut our eyes and hope for a quiet life.
People like you shouldn’t even be in Royal Mail - you have no understanding with people with mental health issues, DISGRACE
So you need to be part medically qualified and an good all rounder to work for RM. It's staffed with the good, the bad and the ugly and a few nuckle draggers (usually on the platform). Everyone has different opinions and that's fine. It's when people who think that THEY are always correct and anybody who doesn't agree with their point of view, are the bad ones is when the problem starts. It's like those free speech activists in one of the universitys, who said that anybody could take the platform and speak for five minutes on free speech as long as it wasn't about faith, religion, ethnicity, sexuality, politics ect ect. WTF. That's what's wrong with far too many people these days and I include myself in this, is that we jump down people's throats before we listen or read the full argument. RM want a divided and subdued workforce. DON'T LET THEM TAKE YOUS DOWN ANY FURTHER. STAND TOGETHER AS ONE. :thumbup