ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA actuals

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
Pidleypoo
Posts: 705
Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
Gender: Male

PDA actuals

Post by Pidleypoo »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Pidleypoo wrote:So are you telling me that if I come in on time and use all correct delivery methods that I will be conducted because the next person works for free and doesn’t use the correct delivery methods because it’s quicker ?
I think that is what some people want to scare you into believing.
If that was the case every delivery office would end up with only one worker......

Though Whistl operated a policy where you were constantly measured against the fastest worker. (Best boy policy?)
I remember one of their posties moaning that people were losing their jobs because they couldn't keep to the standards set.
I’ll be coming in on time , using the correct delivery methods as always and if I’m taken into the managers office for doing the job the way I’ve been trained to then so be it , I will not put my health and safety at risk for this company and I’ve no idea why anyone would for any company.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

PDA actuals

Post by worktotime »

Pidleypoo wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Pidleypoo wrote:So are you telling me that if I come in on time and use all correct delivery methods that I will be conducted because the next person works for free and doesn’t use the correct delivery methods because it’s quicker ?
I think that is what some people want to scare you into believing.
If that was the case every delivery office would end up with only one worker......

Though Whistl operated a policy where you were constantly measured against the fastest worker. (Best boy policy?)
I remember one of their posties moaning that people were losing their jobs because they couldn't keep to the standards set.
I’ll be coming in on time , using the correct delivery methods as always and if I’m taken into the managers office for doing the job the way I’ve been trained to then so be it , I will not put my health and safety at risk for this company and I’ve no idea why anyone would for any company.
snap , :thumbup :Applause ,
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

PDA actuals

Post by postslippete »

Martin Walsh wrote: Don’t believe that as long as you start on time and work to your time your some how immune to this strategy. You might walk at one mile an hour and work your time but the reserve does it at 3 miles per hour and finishes it early , than that information will be used by managers to increase the work performance of the individual who was waking at one mile per hour.

And how do they propose they do that - by giving the guy who walks at one mile an hour a rocket up the ar$e?? The only thing they can do is get slower posties starting their deliveries earlier so that they complete is key. I've noticed that D2Ds are often prepped and sorted, our 2nd wave of mech comes in earlier and there are more walk sorters getting paid on early IPS, particularly if we have lapsing to complete. The irony that they still need to pay overtime for the early preppers and sorters only makes sense for Royal Mail. Thats why I really cant understand guys who come in early UNPAID and forfeit their breaks as they are just not going to get any help at all!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

PDA actuals

Post by Woody Guthrie »

I think what frightens Martin about PDAs is their potential use to resource delivery offices.
If I were in Martin's shoes I would be frightened too and I would be doing my best to convince members that the PDA was forged in hell's furnace by the devil himself.

Will RM try to use the PDA data to monitor individual performance?
It's possible but there's 130+ posties in my office with 130+ different levels of performance and 130+ reasons for different performance levels.
My management "team" can't even make up a rota two weeks in advance.

This is about resourcing and some areas have more to worry about than others but make no mistake, the PDA data is no good thing for us, it never was.
Only dead fish follow the current
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

PDA actuals

Post by rambo1 »

citypostie wrote:
worktotime wrote:
citypostie wrote:So there it is in black and white from someone who knows, the pda data isn't going to be the driving force for a an equal workload for those who go over it will be used to make them move faster so they don't go over, what a suprise I really thought like lots on here that they would be used for the benefit of hard done to postie's in every office. Bet their will be a few who have been begging for PDA actuals to be used who are back tracking now
why back tracking ? you can only go as fast as you can due to age , injurys , and I have one speed and its trolley speed and if that's not quick enough its tough s**t and I wont be changing the way I work , and it will still be used so people aren't finishing 2 hours early everyday .
So if someone finishes an hour early and they check their data and it turns out they've done loops faster than what the data says it should take what will they do? Encourage them to go slower ? Give them more work( off someone working below the standard?) Or nothing?

It would make for a very interesting question for managers to answer
Why don't people get it? They want us to be productive for every minute they pay us (and why wouldn't they). If you're running around working faster than you have to, then yes, you should have more work to do, whether that's more indoor prep or more outdoor work. No, you shouldn't pick up the slack for someone working bellow standard. They should be took to task as to why they can't maintain minimum standard. Truth is, some walks are much too big to be completed in time working well above minimum standard, while some stroll round and finish 30 mins or more early. This can't and shouldn't continue. It makes no sense for the company. Ghost overtime is the most nonsensical, why pay someone 1hr overtime to come in early, then let them go home an hr early. It does happen. It shouldn't happen.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

PDA actuals

Post by k979aaa »

rambo1 wrote:
citypostie wrote:
worktotime wrote:
citypostie wrote:So there it is in black and white from someone who knows, the pda data isn't going to be the driving force for a an equal workload for those who go over it will be used to make them move faster so they don't go over, what a suprise I really thought like lots on here that they would be used for the benefit of hard done to postie's in every office. Bet their will be a few who have been begging for PDA actuals to be used who are back tracking now
why back tracking ? you can only go as fast as you can due to age , injurys , and I have one speed and its trolley speed and if that's not quick enough its tough s**t and I wont be changing the way I work , and it will still be used so people aren't finishing 2 hours early everyday .
So if someone finishes an hour early and they check their data and it turns out they've done loops faster than what the data says it should take what will they do? Encourage them to go slower ? Give them more work( off someone working below the standard?) Or nothing?

It would make for a very interesting question for managers to answer
Why don't people get it? They want us to be productive for every minute they pay us (and why wouldn't they). If you're running around working faster than you have to, then yes, you should have more work to do, whether that's more indoor prep or more outdoor work. No, you shouldn't pick up the slack for someone working bellow standard. They should be took to task as to why they can't maintain minimum standard. Truth is, some walks are much too big to be completed in time working well above minimum standard, while some stroll round and finish 30 mins or more early. This can't and shouldn't continue. It makes no sense for the company. Ghost overtime is the most nonsensical, why pay someone 1hr overtime to come in early, then let them go home an hr early. It does happen. It shouldn't happen.
Look when you have a management structure ie top down and you can only get a job done by Ghost OT you will do it as for standards the managers should be willing and able to show us how the jobs is done in the time allowed they are unwilling resentful recalcitrant or just to lazy or incompetent to do so I would fire half of them on the spot on the delivery remind me of black adders captain Darling unwilling recalcitrant self serving bastards!
Martin Walsh
Posts: 4276
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 20:12
Location: neverland

PDA actuals

Post by Martin Walsh »

Rambo it is important to understand where Royal Mail’s direction of travel really is.

As part of my role I sit on the Joint working group which is titled National Resourcing and Revisions working group.

We look at things such as PDA actuals, Final Mile optimisation , AHDC , Resource Scheduler , outdoor workload model as well as a new productivity measure.

The fact is whilst some offices have adjusted shorter Tuesdays and potentially other days to traffic, Royal Mail wants to adjust weekly attendances due to the different traffic periods of the year such as summer , autumn pressure and Christmas as they know it is very difficult to get individuals to work all hours their paid for as all you need for this to fail is if their a failure in the mail centre and the work arrived late in the office. Hence why they want the 30 minute flex to be available to be used daily.

PDA’s are not a productivity measure or indeed an accurate recording of an individual’s performance, remember you only get yesterday’s PDA’s today.

Royal Mail in some offices this summer have tried to introduce summer lasting based on an unagreed measure called Trogan Horse where the manager counts up all the early finishing times from the PDA and than saying that is the hourage we are lapsing next week. Clearly this is unacceptable and it does not deal properly with resourcing and the fact the early finishes could just 3 walks in an office out of 30.

Additionally it is insulting that management keep on telling us to work all the hours paid. They don’t tell a manager who is doing OPG work that. We work in an industry where Royal Mail constantly fail to predict actually the traffic for next week and therefore that will always have an impact on whether some works every minute of a day.

Additionally they also know that some work all their hours but have adjusted to doing this by going slower than someone who thinks they can make time out of the job. This is why they want to have access to the 13 months of trend data to drill down on who else has done that walk in that time and how long did they take.

The true test of productivity is by agreeing a productivity measure. It is not by use PDA’s or any other real time recording.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

PDA actuals

Post by Navalron »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Pidleypoo wrote:So are you telling me that if I come in on time and use all correct delivery methods that I will be conducted because the next person works for free and doesn’t use the correct delivery methods because it’s quicker ?
I think that is what some people want to scare you into believing.
If that was the case every delivery office would end up with only one worker......

Though Whistl operated a policy where you were constantly measured against the fastest worker. (Best boy policy?)
I remember one of their posties moaning that people were losing their jobs because they couldn't keep to the standards set.
And that's EXACTLY where RM are heading. Any postie caught in their house, going really slow needs their balls/fuds kicked. It's basic. You've a start time and finish time and your meal relief inbetween. If you want to cut off go through the procedure and if you want docket go through the other procedure. Do the job the way RM say they want you to do it and everything is fine. It's all these runners, non break takers and early unpaid starters who need a good SLAP. Their the people who are and always have gave RM the excuse to lose posties up with more and more mail/parcels. But with today's technologies there isn't no hiding place anymore. FFS, DON'T MAKE IT ANY EASIER FOR THEM TO F..K YOU MORE THAN THEY ARE ALREADY,AND YOU'VE SEEN NOTHING GET FOR WHAT THEIR COMING FOR. :pray :pray :pray
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

PDA actuals

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Do the job the way RM say they want you to do it and everything is fine.
RM can't decide from one day to the next what they want you to do. This has been the problem for a long time and everything is far from fine.

Doing the job properly paints a target on your back, only a fool would deny that.

Some members can handle constantly being one mistake away from the conduct code and some can't.

Some members have a decent manager who won't make it their personal mission to find fault with everything you do and some don't.

Some members have a decent union structure in their office to protect them from rogue management and some dont.

For some members doing the job properly without support can cause so much stress it makes them seriously ill but it's okay to call them idiots and morons on here and blame them for everything that's wrong in this business.

....and everything is fine.
Only dead fish follow the current
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

PDA actuals

Post by world class male »

rambo1 wrote:
citypostie wrote:
worktotime wrote:
citypostie wrote:why pay someone 1hr overtime to come in early, then let them go home an hr early. It does happen. It shouldn't happen.
I regularly do 30mins -1hour early IPS in which nothing is touched on my own frame, i don't benefit any more or any less than any other postie, i still have exactly the same time to do my own duty as anyone else,
by your way if i get finished 30mins early you say i shouldn't get paid the early o/t?
nobody would come in early sorting at all and it would lead to quite a lot of others would be cutting off or booking outdoor o/t then with no head start we give the sorters, so everyone get on their frames earlier,
and if a manager says i'm knocking off your 30mins o/t due to getting done the same time as someone else who started on the regular time it would be the last time too,
it would be a disaster in our d/o if indoor o/t was cut or people refused it completely
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

PDA actuals

Post by rambo1 »

world class male wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
citypostie wrote:
worktotime wrote:
citypostie wrote:why pay someone 1hr overtime to come in early, then let them go home an hr early. It does happen. It shouldn't happen.
I regularly do 30mins -1hour early IPS in which nothing is touched on my own frame, i don't benefit any more or any less than any other postie, i still have exactly the same time to do my own duty as anyone else,
by your way if i get finished 30mins early you say i shouldn't get paid the early o/t?
nobody would come in early sorting at all and it would lead to quite a lot of others would be cutting off or booking outdoor o/t then with no head start we give the sorters, so everyone get on their frames earlier,
and if a manager says i'm knocking off your 30mins o/t due to getting done the same time as someone else who started on the regular time it would be the last time too,
it would be a disaster in our d/o if indoor o/t was cut or people refused it completely
I understand that. However, what your Dom should be saying to you is, I've noticed you finish 30 mins early most days, therefore you don't need to be out as early, I'll pay you for 30 mins extra and you'll now start prepping your own walk 30 later so you finish on time thus getting the same work done and saving the company 30 mins overtime.
But we both know that won't happen and that's why the company is in the poo.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA actuals

Post by Celgar »

Pidleypoo wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Pidleypoo wrote:So are you telling me that if I come in on time and use all correct delivery methods that I will be conducted because the next person works for free and doesn’t use the correct delivery methods because it’s quicker ?
I think that is what some people want to scare you into believing.
If that was the case every delivery office would end up with only one worker......

Though Whistl operated a policy where you were constantly measured against the fastest worker. (Best boy policy?)
I remember one of their posties moaning that people were losing their jobs because they couldn't keep to the standards set.
I’ll be coming in on time , using the correct delivery methods as always and if I’m taken into the managers office for doing the job the way I’ve been trained to then so be it , I will not put my health and safety at risk for this company and I’ve no idea why anyone would for any company.
The best although maybe only good thing about Whistl was that they had a policy of no unpaid work. Once their staff were near the end of their duty time they would be phoned up and told to return to the depot. The remaining mail would be delivered the next day that location received a delivery.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Harv12
Posts: 158
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 18:25
Gender: Male

PDA actuals

Post by Harv12 »

The Postman wrote:
Jeppol wrote:Because I'm a very quick & efficient worker and I'm not going back to the office early to be sent back out to cover work that other lazy, multiple fag break Posties haven't done.
There’s where the conduct lies. ‘Wilful Delay’, as your sat in the van knowing there’s still mail to be delivered. Your paid from when you start to when you finish, not by the Duty. Slowing down would be wiser, however pda actuals cannot be used for conduct, so get your rep involved.

They are useing pda actual for conduct and have been for a while now. if your stationary for more than 5 mins at our office your called in and questions are asked.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

PDA actuals

Post by Chelseablue »

If ppl didnt come in early for ips otime etc and finish early then more full time jobs might be created . And wed have no lapsing .
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

PDA actuals

Post by number one »

Chelseablue wrote:If ppl didnt come in early for ips otime etc and finish early then more full time jobs might be created . And wed have no lapsing .
How do you work that out?