ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Joining the Union

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by crimson king »

Celgar wrote:Most posties join the union as an insurance policy if they make a mistake on the job. If RM turn on you the union can usually save you unless you have done something really daft. You don't have to pay the political donation part to the Labour Party if you don't want to. Sounds like RM are going to start using the PDA data against us soon so we may all need to call on the union for assistance soon.
It's actually quite shocking. To most members of the general public, Royal Mail is perceived as a friendly company (abetted in a large way by us smiling footsoldiers in shorts). Yet to anyone employed by company, RM can be the very epitome of a greedy, capitalist corporation out to grind all it can out of its staff to line the pockets of the shareholders.

And woe betide any unfortunate sod who might fail to please these masters. Which is why we have posties joining the Union for an insurance policy, as Celgar rightly describes it. Joining doesn't make you a militant Unionist or compromise any political beliefs. It just gives you access to someone who will fight your corner that time when managemant unexpectedly pull the rug from under your feet.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Joining the Union

Post by norris9 »

Celgar wrote:Most posties join the union as an insurance policy if they make a mistake on the job. If RM turn on you the union can usually save you unless you have done something really daft. You don't have to pay the political donation part to the Labour Party if you don't want to. Sounds like RM are going to start using the PDA data against us soon so we may all need to call on the union for assistance soon.
In what way will they use it against us?

PDA data should be a blessing for a lot of Posties.....it should prove we are overworked....unless I am wrong and most are underworked and finish early all the time.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by Celgar »

The implication of the words & phrases that RM is currently using in the courier suggest that if postman A is doing the job in say one hour but postman B is doing the job in two hours then postman B is doing the job incorrectly. In other words RM may break their agreement on how PDA actuals data is used.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by aiden01 »

Celgar wrote:The implication of the words & phrases that RM is currently using in the courier suggest that if postman A is doing the job in say one hour but postman B is doing the job in two hours then postman B is doing the job incorrectly. In other words RM may break their agreement on how PDA actuals data is used.
Just like any agreements rm have..
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by bmccoll »

postietom wrote:I've never joined, should've done to be quite honest but nobody has ever asked me to. I expected our rep to ask when I started, but he's useless to be quite honest. The only thing is I don't want a penny of mine going to the Labour party, am I right in thinking you have to opt in nowadays? And what's the best way to do it? Online? I always try and use the postal system if I can.
You have to approach the rep, he's not allowed to come to you about joining, it's been this way for many a year. I'd say join as soon as. Some on here say they are useless, but I'd prefer I had someone with me pissing out than pissing in.