ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Monday to Friday working

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
heapsy
Posts: 2976
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 23:40
Gender: Male
Location: Drinking with Gangsters

Monday to Friday working

Post by heapsy »

Don't think it will happen. Too many jobs lost, CWU wont have it. I have always said that the CWU, along with CMA / Unite, should have talked to RM when the 5 day week was coming in. They should have spoken to RM and then together, lobbied the Government to change the USO. Tbh I'm not sure of the wording of the USO. Does it stipulate that LETTERS have to be delivered, or that a service has to be provided? IF the latter, then parcels and specials could be done by skeleton crew. I don't think this is the case though.

Just found this, there is an obligation for Saturday https://www.royalmailgroup.com/en/about ... bligation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by heapsy on 06 Jun 2019, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Monday to Friday working

Post by Celgar »

heapsy wrote:Don't think it will happen. Too many jobs lost, CWU wont have it. I have always said that the CWU, along with CMA / Unite, should have talked to RM when the 5 day week was coming in. They should have spoken to RM and then together, lobbied the Government to change the USO. Tbh I'm not sure of the wording of the USO. Does it stipulate that LETTERS have to be delivered, or that a service has to be provided? IF the latter, then parcels and specials could be done by skeleton crew. I don't think this is the case though.
Sounds like maybe Mattjo's DOM may have been correct if you read the "Royal Mail bins union agreement" article in the news section. It says on there RM want to alter the USO to move letter delivery to Monday to Friday delivery only. I guess they would mean the small packets as well then move the Saturday delivery SDs to the LAT hubs and probably increase the price further on that line as a result. I think I read the USO renegotiations have been moved forward to 2020 so that's where the six months time comment derives from.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
heapsy
Posts: 2976
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 23:40
Gender: Male
Location: Drinking with Gangsters

Monday to Friday working

Post by heapsy »

Celgar wrote:
heapsy wrote:Don't think it will happen. Too many jobs lost, CWU wont have it. I have always said that the CWU, along with CMA / Unite, should have talked to RM when the 5 day week was coming in. They should have spoken to RM and then together, lobbied the Government to change the USO. Tbh I'm not sure of the wording of the USO. Does it stipulate that LETTERS have to be delivered, or that a service has to be provided? IF the latter, then parcels and specials could be done by skeleton crew. I don't think this is the case though.
Sounds like maybe Mattjo's DOM may have been correct if you read the "Royal Mail bins union agreement" article in the news section. It says on there RM want to alter the USO to move letter delivery to Monday to Friday delivery only. I guess they would mean the small packets as well then move the Saturday delivery SDs to the LAT hubs and probably increase the price further on that line as a result. I think I read the USO renegotiations have been moved forward to 2020 so that's where the six months time comment derives from.
Makes sense.
Martin Walsh
Posts: 4276
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 20:12
Location: neverland

Monday to Friday working

Post by Martin Walsh »

Of com have recently announced that they intend to bring forward the review into the USO from 2022 to 2020.

However any change under the postal services act needs the approval of the USO.

At the moment only approximately 42% of what is delivered each day is actually covered by the USO and Royal Mail could move the remaining 58% and this is why under the 4 pillars proposals they wanted heavy and light days which would have meant that on 3 days per week all the Mail was delivered and one the remaining 3 days only the 42% plus express and tracked were delivered. The CWU opposed this and stopped it.

However of com’s announcement will mean a review of the USO in September 2020 and the detail of this review which includes a review of efficiency within the company , however it does not state that the cut to the USO would be Saturday.

However that is the likely option if Of Com was going to reduce the USO.

At the moment Royal Mail within the talks are insisting that they want to maintain the 6 day service and have a parcel LAT service on sundays.
S
So it certainly happening within 6 months or any time soon
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Monday to Friday working

Post by leolion855 »

Martin Walsh wrote: At the moment Royal Mail within the talks are insisting that they want to maintain the 6 day service and have a parcel LAT service on sundays.
S
So it certainly happening within 6 months or any time soon
Whos going to man the sunday option, will it be voluntary on overtime or are they forcing us to change our contracts to work 5 out of 7 days?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Monday to Friday working

Post by Celgar »

leolion855 wrote:
Martin Walsh wrote: At the moment Royal Mail within the talks are insisting that they want to maintain the 6 day service and have a parcel LAT service on sundays.
S
So it certainly happening within 6 months or any time soon
Whos going to man the sunday option, will it be voluntary on overtime or are they forcing us to change our contracts to work 5 out of 7 days?
I read somewhere on the forum that RM pay an additional sum or per hour for working on Sundays but I'm not sure if that is true or not. A few years back at Xmas, maybe when there was a lot of snow, we all agreed to come in and work on one Sunday to clear the backlog but I don't recall getting paid a significant amount more for doing it. I certainly wouldn't work on a Sunday ever again for RM. I'm not religious or anything but I do think there should be one day a week when people can do what they want to.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Monday to Friday working

Post by citypostie »

leolion855 wrote:
Martin Walsh wrote: At the moment Royal Mail within the talks are insisting that they want to maintain the 6 day service and have a parcel LAT service on sundays.
S
So it certainly happening within 6 months or any time soon
Whos going to man the sunday option, will it be voluntary on overtime or are they forcing us to change our contracts to work 5 out of 7 days?
When people leave the new starters will be on contracts that include Sunday as a working day.
Martin Walsh
Posts: 4276
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 20:12
Location: neverland

Monday to Friday working

Post by Martin Walsh »

Royal Mail are on record that they do not think they can raise prices of parcels for customers on sundays so their proposal is to make Sunday’s a normal day for some workers.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Monday to Friday working

Post by number one »

Martin Walsh wrote:Royal Mail are on record that they do not think they can raise prices of parcels for customers on sundays so their proposal is to make Sunday’s a normal day for some workers.
That’s not how the business works, what if they only had 3 parcels for the Sunday? Would they pay the member of staff just the cost they charged for the parcels? No of course not. The wages are made from other sources, Sunday is about £14 an hour
Last edited by number one on 06 Jun 2019, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Walsh
Posts: 4276
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 20:12
Location: neverland

Monday to Friday working

Post by Martin Walsh »

However they have a profit margin for parcels and they are saying they won’t reduce it based on charging the customer more for a parcel to be delivered on a Sunday compared to a Thursday .

You might not accept that position but I can guarantee that is their current position