ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Can’t stand them f***ing stupid letterboxes that everyone has now where the flap inside the house barely goes up so small packages have to be bent or just won’t go in and mail hits the flap and gets stuck.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by Postie45 »

bmccoll wrote:My pet gripe is when you rap the door and the punter is running around and can't find their keys. Who the hell doesn't know where their keys are!
these are the people who die in otherwise escapable house fires
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by 97gaz »

[q
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by Bahia Feliz »

bmccoll wrote:My pet gripe is when you rap the door and the punter is running around and can't find their keys. Who the hell doesn't know where their keys are! Today I rapped a door and two kids were talking through the letterbox: "we are looking for the keys" Rapped again. "dad's coming". Waited a few secs the I went off and delivered a few packets across the road. "Postie, do you have something for me". In a minute mate. I then delivered to the rest of the street. Then sorted my bag for my next loop and sorted out my no entries. All the time I glanced over and saw his fizzing face, what a sight, I nearly burst out laughning. Before going back to him I sat in the van and 'remembered' to fill out my log book before eventually giving him his packet. He was standing at his door for about 10 mins. He's one of the usuals who does this. Pr**k :Very Happy
I'd have said to the kids "tell your dad i've left your item on the doorstep"
twoloops
Posts: 2041
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by twoloops »

norris9 wrote:Why can't these people just leave you in peace to push the letters though.
I'll go for that, hate it when folk try & have a conversation with you, I like to get in & out, I usually have my earphones in so that stops any small talk with the customer, noticed the old folk are the worst offenders, they seem to know when your turning up, so I like to swop the walk around a bit, to confuse them.
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by sindba »

mattycash wrote:
norris9 wrote:Why can't these people just leave you in peace to push the letters though.
I'll go for that, hate it when folk try & have a conversation with you, I like to get in & out, I usually have my earphones in so that stops any small talk with the customer, noticed the old folk are the worst offenders, they seem to know when your turning up, so I like to swop the walk around a bit, to confuse them.
How big and clever of you.

Personally I will at least be pleasant to nice friendly customers, especially older ones. Because I'm a decent human being.

It costs me nothing and makes the world a nicer place in a small way.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by postslippete »

Only gripe I tend to have are arrogant, cocky foul-mouthed youths who have bugger all to do other than shout "Postman Pat" or "have I got owt pal??" when I'm halfway down the street.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by norris9 »

mattycash wrote:
norris9 wrote:Why can't these people just leave you in peace to push the letters though.
I'll go for that, hate it when folk try & have a conversation with you, I like to get in & out, I usually have my earphones in so that stops any small talk with the customer, noticed the old folk are the worst offenders, they seem to know when your turning up, so I like to swop the walk around a bit, to confuse them.

I get what you're saying...

People think being a postie is easy and that you have plenty of time on your hands. In reality you don't have any spare time and your feet and shoulders are killing you.

I don't mind people having a quick chat. I just hate it when they come up to you in the street and request their post or open the door when you are putting post through. Or even when they open the door when you haven't knocked, but you just happen to have been standing at their door for a short while either scanning a letter or to sort some post/parcels out. So they are awkwardly standing there and I am thinking 'I didn't knock - why are you opening your door' and I continue to sort out the post while they just stand there.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by robbertwhitton »

This has made me laugh,I was thinking have we not got enough stuff to moan about on here,but then totally agreed with it,and realise just how annoying it is,I had it done the other day with the customer saying “saves you stick them through “ as I ended up in there hallway being attached to the letters I still had in the letter box,thinking of this post and laughing my arse off,they must have wondered what I was on? But it does lighten the gloom on here
Last edited by robbertwhitton on 03 Jun 2019, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by crimson king »

Acca Dacca wrote:Customers who try and keep their dog at bay with their leg and the door halfway open then you need them to sign for a large parcel or try to pass it to them and it doesnt fit through the gap they have created and all you can think about is 'that dog is going to get me why couldnt you have put it in another room before opening the door'

Yeah that one
Had this happen loads of times and, eventually and according to the law of averages, got chased out the gate without, fortunately, getting bit. Now, when in that situation, I say something along the lines of 'I'm going to need you to put that dog away before we continue.'

If I get something back like 'oh, he's all right, honestly,' I reply with 'yeah, that's what the last one said' and start walking off. So far, fingers crossed, this has worked for me. As soon as they see that precious box full of tat that they've ordered from ebay retreating down the driveway, Fido is chucked into the lounge and Mr/Mrs Recipient are following me with their arms outstretched like something from a Romero film.

I've had comments along the lines of 'dunno what your problem is', 'never have this problem with our usual postie' and even a 'you've got a f***ing attitude problem you have.' I just smile, thank them and walk on down that road. Attitude problem, maybe, but what I don't have is their bastard dog hanging off my arse or leg.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by Acca Dacca »

crimson king wrote:
Acca Dacca wrote:Customers who try and keep their dog at bay with their leg and the door halfway open then you need them to sign for a large parcel or try to pass it to them and it doesnt fit through the gap they have created and all you can think about is 'that dog is going to get me why couldnt you have put it in another room before opening the door'

Yeah that one
Had this happen loads of times and, eventually and according to the law of averages, got chased out the gate without, fortunately, getting bit. Now, when in that situation, I say something along the lines of 'I'm going to need you to put that dog away before we continue.'

If I get something back like 'oh, he's all right, honestly,' I reply with 'yeah, that's what the last one said' and start walking off. So far, fingers crossed, this has worked for me. As soon as they see that precious box full of tat that they've ordered from ebay retreating down the driveway, Fido is chucked into the lounge and Mr/Mrs Recipient are following me with their arms outstretched like something from a Romero film.

I've had comments along the lines of 'dunno what your problem is', 'never have this problem with our usual postie' and even a 'you've got a f***ing attitude problem you have.' I just smile, thank them and walk on down that road. Attitude problem, maybe, but what I don't have is their bastard dog hanging off my arse or leg.
Yep - if I know there is a dog in the house I tend to chap the door and then walk straight behind the gate until they open it. Then I will ask if the dog has been put away before I come in to give them the parcel or ask that they come to the gate to collect it.

Ive never been bitten yet and dont intend to be.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by postmanzach »

The thing I hate most is when crazy angry dogs come out barking like f then the owner says “don’t worry he doesn’t bite”. Both times I been bit the owner has been there saying that.

Regarding letterboxes it is about time for a big shift to everyone having parcel boxes. Someone could make a lot of money this.
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by Sledge4211 »

You probably been already told this but if the owner says “don’t worry the dog won’t bite” BS - then don’t take there word for it! Animals especially dogs are unpredictable and can strike any given moment - even if it has never biten anybody before it COULD still go for you. Your life or should I say your wounds impacted by a dog bite are not worth it over some letters or a package. If the owner is being difficult towards you, just return the mail to your DO and report it to your Line Manager/DOM as soon as you return to the depot.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by aiden01 »

mattycash wrote:
norris9 wrote:Why can't these people just leave you in peace to push the letters though.
I'll go for that, hate it when folk try & have a conversation with you, I like to get in & out, I usually have my earphones in so that stops any small talk with the customer, noticed the old folk are the worst offenders, they seem to know when your turning up, so I like to swop the walk around a bit, to confuse them.
You seem to think your clever some day you will be old an prob only person you will see is the postie.. hope they totally ignore you.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Customers opening the door as you post. (Petty gripes)

Post by crimson king »

Acca Dacca wrote:
crimson king wrote:
Acca Dacca wrote:Customers who try and keep their dog at bay with their leg and the door halfway open then you need them to sign for a large parcel or try to pass it to them and it doesnt fit through the gap they have created and all you can think about is 'that dog is going to get me why couldnt you have put it in another room before opening the door'

Yeah that one
Had this happen loads of times and, eventually and according to the law of averages, got chased out the gate without, fortunately, getting bit. Now, when in that situation, I say something along the lines of 'I'm going to need you to put that dog away before we continue.'

If I get something back like 'oh, he's all right, honestly,' I reply with 'yeah, that's what the last one said' and start walking off. So far, fingers crossed, this has worked for me. As soon as they see that precious box full of tat that they've ordered from ebay retreating down the driveway, Fido is chucked into the lounge and Mr/Mrs Recipient are following me with their arms outstretched like something from a Romero film.

I've had comments along the lines of 'dunno what your problem is', 'never have this problem with our usual postie' and even a 'you've got a f***ing attitude problem you have.' I just smile, thank them and walk on down that road. Attitude problem, maybe, but what I don't have is their bastard dog hanging off my arse or leg.
Yep - if I know there is a dog in the house I tend to chap the door and then walk straight behind the gate until they open it. Then I will ask if the dog has been put away before I come in to give them the parcel or ask that they come to the gate to collect it.

Ive never been bitten yet and dont intend to be.
Amen to that, buddy :thumbup
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.