ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What work have people gone into when leaving RM?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

What work have people gone into when leaving RM?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Postie45 wrote:
officernopants wrote:I left last year and now work at an airport in ground operations, the best decision ever! The way royal mail changed in the last 4 years and is only gonna get worst
yeah, the way it is now most of us our working our full hours, but whats going to happen is less and less indoor element and 6 hr deliveries being the norm, going to take its toll on most posties bodies, sickness will go through the roof im not sure RM are thinking through this aspect of future changes.
I was having a convo with my manager the other day about the impact the job is having on peoples health due to the ever increasing size of the duties. His point was that we are paid for our time and if they are seeing we are making time then its their prerogative to fill the gap. I see his point. But it also shows that the higher ups do not see the human element. We are all just units of time. The problem is, This unit gets tired, ill, sick, hungry, sore and needs the loo from time to time. They just do not care. Im 32 and by the end of the day F'd. Day in, day out. Seriously want to leave but feel trapped with nowhere to go. This company is making me miserable.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

What work have people gone into when leaving RM?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Postie45 wrote: but whats going to happen is less and less indoor element and 6 hr deliveries being the norm.
The 6 hour delivery would only be the norm if you are focused on maintaining full time employment.
The CWU has failed to do that over the last 10 years.
It is maybe time that it stops even pretending that it is an option and starts looking at protecting the integrity of the job that remains.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
dr maturin
Posts: 9
Joined: 16 Jun 2007, 16:47

What work have people gone into when leaving RM?

Post by dr maturin »

I left after almost 40 years. Done a variety of jobs....agency driver, class 1 hgv, class 2 hgv at an airport, currently potter about 2 days a week in a van, so semi retired if you like.

I can say categorically I have never missed leaving but what I can say with 100% confidence is Royal Mail as an employer is head and shoulders above any of the employers I have had the ‘fortune’ to work for since leaving. T’s & C’s, pay, overall general treatment has varied from place to place, some indifferent, some shockingly bad and a lot just unprofessional.

Trust me, in my experience you don’t know how lucky you are in RM.
Caesar
Posts: 234
Joined: 22 Nov 2018, 12:23
Gender: Male

What work have people gone into when leaving RM?

Post by Caesar »

dr maturin wrote:I left after almost 40 years. Done a variety of jobs....agency driver, class 1 hgv, class 2 hgv at an airport, currently potter about 2 days a week in a van, so semi retired if you like.

I can say categorically I have never missed leaving but what I can say with 100% confidence is Royal Mail as an employer is head and shoulders above any of the employers I have had the ‘fortune’ to work for since leaving. T’s & C’s, pay, overall general treatment has varied from place to place, some indifferent, some shockingly bad and a lot just unprofessional.

Trust me, in my experience you don’t know how lucky you are in RM.
Sometimes I wish this forum had a like button.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

What work have people gone into when leaving RM?

Post by norris9 »

Ren Hoëk wrote:The problem is, This unit gets tired, ill, sick, hungry, sore and needs the loo from time to time. They just do not care. Im 32 and by the end of the day F'd. Day in, day out. Seriously want to leave but feel trapped with nowhere to go. This company is making me miserable.
I am the same. I am F'd, day in, day out.... and I am Part-Time. Not sure how people do overtime or second jobs. Not even sure how people manage Full Time hours....I'd be dead if I also had to wake up at 6am. I'd probably be in bed at 7pm every evening if that was the case.

I can only hope my body evolves into the job and is less knackered as I get fitter.

No idea how anyone over the age of 50 does this job, let alone the guys over 70. Fair play to you.
Caesar
Posts: 234
Joined: 22 Nov 2018, 12:23
Gender: Male

What work have people gone into when leaving RM?

Post by Caesar »

norris9 wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:The problem is, This unit gets tired, ill, sick, hungry, sore and needs the loo from time to time. They just do not care. Im 32 and by the end of the day F'd. Day in, day out. Seriously want to leave but feel trapped with nowhere to go. This company is making me miserable.
I am the same. I am F'd, day in, day out.... and I am Part-Time. Not sure how people do overtime or second jobs. Not even sure how people manage Full Time hours....I'd be dead if I also had to wake up at 6am. I'd probably be in bed at 7pm every evening if that was the case.

I can only hope my body evolves into the job and is less knackered as I get fitter.

No idea how anyone over the age of 50 does this job, let alone the guys over 70. Fair play to you.
I think that your previous job makes a difference. I'm 55 next month and worked in construction for over 30 yrs before joining RM.
I'm part time but regularly work more than 40 hrs. I go to bed around 10 pm and wake around 5 am, my alarm is set for 5.45 but I always wake up before my alarm goes off.
I do get some aches and pains in my legs but up until now I've not had any serious pains. I also do have evenings where I'm totally nackared.
At my age I think that the job will eventually wear me down but so far so good.
sf25
Posts: 43
Joined: 22 Apr 2012, 13:57
Gender: Male

What work have people gone into when leaving RM?

Post by sf25 »

Ren Hoëk wrote:
Postie45 wrote:
officernopants wrote:I left last year and now work at an airport in ground operations, the best decision ever! The way royal mail changed in the last 4 years and is only gonna get worst
yeah, the way it is now most of us our working our full hours, but whats going to happen is less and less indoor element and 6 hr deliveries being the norm, going to take its toll on most posties bodies, sickness will go through the roof im not sure RM are thinking through this aspect of future changes.
I was having a convo with my manager the other day about the impact the job is having on peoples health due to the ever increasing size of the duties. His point was that we are paid for our time and if they are seeing we are making time then its their prerogative to fill the gap. I see his point. But it also shows that the higher ups do not see the human element. We are all just units of time. The problem is, This unit gets tired, ill, sick, hungry, sore and needs the loo from time to time. They just do not care. Im 32 and by the end of the day F'd. Day in, day out. Seriously want to leave but feel trapped with nowhere to go. This company is making me miserable.
That is it exactly. They only look at your job as numbers and money. Your route will be planned out for how long it should take travelling at a set pace, i highly doubt it takes into consideration that your legs will be tired and back will be sore after a period of time or by the end of the week working 5 days in a row you wont be going as fast as the first day.