ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

stopping early finishes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by Postie45 »

norris9 wrote:
As long as I average my hours then that's ok with me, this job requires flexibility.....but if I work an average of more hours than I should....then I will say something.
thats fine as a personal stance on what you perceive to be fair and some give and take. Overall though, people are owed the scheduled hours to be paid and if there isnt enough work that day the onus is on the manager to fill that time with work.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3730
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by yellowbelly »

norris9 wrote:Worked more hours than I am contracted to, gifting RM 2.5 hours of my time for free.

I will be recording the hours I work from now on to see how it averages out over a month or 2, to see if I am getting screwed over or not.
And if doesn't what are you going to do about the pay and pension contributions (and future pension) you've lost? Also
tax and NIC's lost to society in general as the money has gone gone to DOM's bonus or to the mega shareholders instead.
Are you then going to use the overunning procedure? Why not do it now?
norris9 wrote:.... this job requires flexibility.
Flexibility: Lino 'Can you go over today?' Postie 'Yes, as long as I get paid for it'

Do you get WTLL every week? If not that's 30 minutes that management OWE YOU!!!
Marshamp11
Posts: 437
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by Marshamp11 »

Flexibility? Chance would be a fine thing, havent finished before my time in 7 months.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by worktotime »

postslippete wrote:They are using the PDAs as an excuse to bring on the summer lapsing methinks. Managers aren't stupid, they are quite aware that staff turn up early and forfeit breaks and turn a blind eye to it. It might not be important until someone has an accident and theres no manager or union safety rep in the workplace; thats when they might have to lock the gates and stop staff starting hours before their time.
they will try but remember we are doing less daily work hours now and come OCT the days will get even shorter :pray , so we wont have time to complete your own as it is now so never mind doing any extra :thumbup .
kingdazzler
Posts: 41
Joined: 18 Mar 2019, 13:29
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by kingdazzler »

my normal hours are 630-1130 25hr contract. i got told today to start at 8am on Monday. i think someone else will be sorting the mail and i'll be doing the packets and delivering. obviously management are trying to save hours as i currently do between 35-40 hours a week. i've only been on the job 4 months so i don't really know how it used to be in "the good old days" but it will be interesting how some of the old timers take it.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by rambo1 »

bardeh wrote:
norris9 wrote:
number one wrote:
norris9 wrote:Yeah, last week was a nice pleasant week with a fair workload, finishing on time or finishing early.....

.....but this week was hell.

Worked more hours than I am contracted to, gifting RM 2.5 hours of my time for free.

I will be recording the hours I work from now on to see how it averages out over a month or 2, to see if I am getting screwed over or not.

I am not sure why some managers want to ignore you/argue with you when you genuinely believe there is too much post to deliver in your time.....they argue so they don't have to pay someone a few quid on overtime to take a loop out.....what's the point, it wastes time arguing, it annoys the Posties....you managers who make it difficult just make the job more stressful and less enjoyable and potentially annoy posties enough that they will leave, then the few quid you are trying to save RM is irrelevant as now you have to train a new recruit, get them uniform, pay for their driver assessment etc etc....
Why oh why are you working for free?????
Why am I also sometimes going home early and getting paid for doing nothing?

I get it, that's how people want it....they want job and finish early and get paid for more hours than they work.

As long as I average my hours then that's ok with me, this job requires flexibility.....but if I work an average of more hours than I should....then I will say something.
I finish early some days, but you can bet that I'm booking every single minute of overtime on the days when I go over. Royal Mail is a multibillion pound corporation, don't give them your time for free.
So, you want your cake and eat it. Attitude like you show is partly to blame for this business failing. Eventually I can see it going bust, then 120000 people will lose their job, beacuse you want paying overtime and for going home early. Anyone getting back early should be doing something, prepping d2d , washing vans . It comes down to management though, fair management, not the bullying kind. It also means no flyers for managers either, they too have to walk the walk if they talk the talk.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by redneck »

norris9 wrote:Yeah, last week was a nice pleasant week with a fair workload, finishing on time or finishing early.....

.....but this week was hell.

Worked more hours than I am contracted to, gifting RM 2.5 hours of my time for free.

I will be recording the hours I work from now on to see how it averages out over a month or 2, to see if I am getting screwed over or not.

I am not sure why some managers want to ignore you/argue with you when you genuinely believe there is too much post to deliver in your time.....they argue so they don't have to pay someone a few quid on overtime to take a loop out.....what's the point, it wastes time arguing, it annoys the Posties....you managers who make it difficult just make the job more stressful and less enjoyable and potentially annoy posties enough that they will leave, then the few quid you are trying to save RM is irrelevant as now you have to train a new recruit, get them uniform, pay for their driver assessment etc etc....
This is a nonsense that tales place in every single office across the UK I'm sure, you come back early and you ask for more work until your finish time is how it goes, if there is no manager there or they have no work off you go. Managers want you to work this way,(flexibility) but there is no national agreement on it and it the suits clap their hands together as they disappear off up the road at 11.30/12.00 knowing that the slaves will monitor their own time and end up giving it back to a billion pound company that treats it workers like s**t
bardeh
Posts: 42
Joined: 01 Feb 2019, 23:04
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by bardeh »

rambo1 wrote: So, you want your cake and eat it. Attitude like you show is partly to blame for this business failing. Eventually I can see it going bust, then 120000 people will lose their job, beacuse you want paying overtime and for going home early. Anyone getting back early should be doing something, prepping d2d , washing vans . It comes down to management though, fair management, not the bullying kind. It also means no flyers for managers either, they too have to walk the walk if they talk the talk.
If the managers asked me to do more work to take me up to my time, I would do it. However, they tell me 'see you tomorrow bud, have a good one' and off I trot.
Pidleypoo
Posts: 705
Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by Pidleypoo »

In the offices I have worked in , the time given to Royal Mail by people coming in before their time , prepping d2d after their finish time , taking no breaks and not claiming any overtime and not using correct delivery methods massively outweighs any time the small percentage of people that actually finish earlier than their time.

Now with the actuals being used ( only for the outdoor part which wouldn’t account for most of the time rm staff gift the company ) why would anyone be cutting all those corners ? , remember this when they are adding more to your delivery, when the job cuts happen , because they are being given so much time and will take more delivery’s out , it will be you or someone you work with that loses their job , and for what ? Because A mutual billion pound company is being given millions of pound worth of work for nothing.

As long as I’ve worked for Royal Mail I’ve never understood why people do this.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by Celgar »

Pidleypoo wrote:In the offices I have worked in , the time given to Royal Mail by people coming in before their time , prepping d2d after their finish time , taking no breaks and not claiming any overtime and not using correct delivery methods massively outweighs any time the small percentage of people that actually finish earlier than their time.

Now with the actuals being used ( only for the outdoor part which wouldn’t account for most of the time rm staff gift the company ) why would anyone be cutting all those corners ? , remember this when they are adding more to your delivery, when the job cuts happen , because they are being given so much time and will take more delivery’s out , it will be you or someone you work with that loses their job , and for what ? Because A mutual billion pound company is being given millions of pound worth of work for nothing.

As long as I’ve worked for Royal Mail I’ve never understood why people do this.
I totally agree. Even if you examine how posties who appear to be finishing really early are actually working - coming in maybe 30 to 40 minutes early and not taking their 40 minute break - the time equation will show they are working all their duty time if not going over.
For example on Saturday looking 'on paper' on our signing in sheet I finished exactly on time. In actual fact though I arrived at work fifteen minutes early and didn't take my first twenty minute break so I did thirty-five minutes work in excess of duty time unpaid.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by tommyrep »

A few interesting views and comments on this topic!
How surprising! managers benefitting from the playground mentality of a few short sighted individuals.
Surprised woody n numberone have no input to add and solve these misconceptions everyone else seem to have.
It has no impact on hours lost in their book, so????
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

stopping early finishes

Post by arnold cheshire »

daveyeff wrote:they are trying this at our office. union had us downstairs this morning, they say management have said anyone finishing before their time either has to stay back until duty finish time, or can go home when they finish, but they must pay the time back. its down to senior management looking at the PDA actuals. they say in our office alone last week there was loads of hours could have been saved. ie Saturday there was 53 hours could have been saved due to the amount of people back early, Friday there was 47 hours, Thursday had 41 hours. their list goes on. they stopped the earlies with immediate effect. PDAs don't look at the fact that people come in early, don't take their breaks, run around like blue arsed flies. also its summer, and most of us have no D2Ds this week. Dom reckons its going national so it looks like they want confrontation. to be honest I couldn't give a toss but I suppose it will stop the runners. there was a dozen or so hanging around today when we got back just before our time. the good will is bound to stop.
Rubbish
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by Jpro747 »

It won’t last long! If they upset the runners they’ll just slow down and do the job properly! Which means less productivity, more jobs created and therefore less £££ for the shareholders...
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

stopping early finishes

Post by Navalron »

Jpro747 wrote:It won’t last long! If they upset the runners they’ll just slow down and do the job properly! Which means less productivity, more jobs created and therefore less £££ for the shareholders...
Then the office will still lose the hours and they will bring in casuals on zero your contracts to mop up any extra hours required. Just like their going to probably staff the 3 new parcel super hubs with casual staff. You'd aren't giving the union anything to fight with. By coming in early and not taking breaks, RM have the figures and the whip hand. Yous are leaving the union with nothing to fight against. What's the point. I see my posts on a Saturday sprinting up stairs, then waiting for about 15/20 mins for his driver to come give him more mail. Ah f**k it.... :arrrghhh
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by number one »

Navalron wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:It won’t last long! If they upset the runners they’ll just slow down and do the job properly! Which means less productivity, more jobs created and therefore less £££ for the shareholders...
Then the office will still lose the hours and they will bring in casuals on zero your contracts to mop up any extra hours required. Just like their going to probably staff the 3 new parcel super hubs with casual staff. You'd aren't giving the union anything to fight with. By coming in early and not taking breaks, RM have the figures and the whip hand. Yous are leaving the union with nothing to fight against. What's the point. I see my posts on a Saturday sprinting up stairs, then waiting for about 15/20 mins for his driver to come give him more mail. Ah f**k it.... :arrrghhh
No they won’t