They might be happy to take break at end of shift, but they are breaking the law!LittleEmm wrote:I do understand as we have some in my DO that come in hours before their start time! However I don’t think being on site 15mins ( in order to make sure you’re not late etc) is a bad thing, I’m sure you’d soon be frowned upon if you rushed in a couple of mins before you start time or rolled up at start time and not ready to start work. There the old quote - Being early meant being on time, being on time meant being late, but being late was unacceptable. As for breaks I can honestly say I know of no one in our DO that takes breaks during or prior to their duty, that not because it is not allowed or discouraged most people seem to be happy to take them at the end of their shift.hero22 wrote:LittleEmm wrote:I can’t understand why people seem to have such strong objections about others going in early and have such a major issue with other posties? Every other job I’ve ever had outside this industry has always expected workers to be on the premises at desks or stations etc prior to their start time so that they can be prepped and ready to start work at their allocated time. Now if the employee arrives early (such as wanting to avoid traffic or whatever other reason they choose too) I personally would feel pretty daft just hanging round twiddling my thumbs for 10/15mins when I could be getting on with something productive? Or do I take the view that seems to be very popular of pfft “I’m not helping anyone” or “that’s not my job” or “why should I work for free”? Everyone is employed by RM to do a job including absorption and personally I work till my round is finished if that includes OT or I finish early so be it, I do not take my breaks whilst out as I don’t find I need or want one but that is my choice but I do claim this as part of OT if I’ve worked over my time.
Everyone is employed by Royal Mail to do a job properly. That means starting at your start time, taking your meal relief which is part of royal mails working policies as well as health and safety policies and finishing on your time or requesting overtime if required. By coming in early and doing 15 minutes instead of twiddling your thumbs and not taking your breaks you are not only making your colleagues potentially look bad but you are also failing to follow royal mail procedures. It seems to be new starters in my office that don't understand why there are strong objections but maybe once they have been in long enough they will realise the repercussions of working for free. Saying that there are plenty of long serving posties just as bad.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Thoughts after 10 weeks
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Thoughts after 10 weeks
-
LittleEmm
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 23 Jan 2019, 16:40
- Gender: Female
Thoughts after 10 weeks
I do understand fully where you are coming from and don’t think you impolite at all. I’m in the position where I’ve been placed on a full time round which no one wants but only work part time hours so I am kinda caught between a rock and a hard place. I have also been always taught the work ethic that I need to be on site and ready for work prior to my start time or in previous employment I would have been reprimanded for this.steve1873 wrote:I will try be as polite as can be, but...LittleEmm wrote:I can’t understand why people seem to have such strong objections about others going in early and have such a major issue with other posties? Every other job I’ve ever had outside this industry has always expected workers to be on the premises at desks or stations etc prior to their start time so that they can be prepped and ready to start work at their allocated time. Now if the employee arrives early (such as wanting to avoid traffic or whatever other reason they choose too) I personally would feel pretty daft just hanging round twiddling my thumbs for 10/15mins when I could be getting on with something productive? Or do I take the view that seems to be very popular of pfft “I’m not helping anyone” or “that’s not my job” or “why should I work for free”? Everyone is employed by RM to do a job including absorption and personally I work till my round is finished if that includes OT or I finish early so be it, I do not take my breaks whilst out as I don’t find I need or want one but that is my choice but I do claim this as part of OT if I’ve worked over my time.
You fail to understand why people, reps especially want yo ensure that all measured workload is contained within people's actual working hours, at a time when Royal Mail is insistent in cutting the job to the absolute bone and reducing the workforce? Look 10/15 minutes maybe doesn't seem a lot on an individual basis. But it isn't individuals we are attempting to change the attitude of, it is the collective.
But until such time as individuals take some responsibility for their actions and acknowledge the consequences, then it is unfortunately a case of bashing ones head against a wall.
-
hero22
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Thoughts after 10 weeks
LittleEmm wrote:I do understand as we have some in my DO that come in hours before their start time! However I don’t think being on site 15mins ( in order to make sure you’re not late etc) is a bad thing, I’m sure you’d soon be frowned upon if you rushed in a couple of mins before you start time or rolled up at start time and not ready to start work. There the old quote - Being early meant being on time, being on time meant being late, but being late was unacceptable. As for breaks I can honestly say I know of no one in our DO that takes breaks during or prior to their duty, that not because it is not allowed or discouraged most people seem to be happy to take them at the end of their shift.hero22 wrote:LittleEmm wrote:I can’t understand why people seem to have such strong objections about others going in early and have such a major issue with other posties? Every other job I’ve ever had outside this industry has always expected workers to be on the premises at desks or stations etc prior to their start time so that they can be prepped and ready to start work at their allocated time. Now if the employee arrives early (such as wanting to avoid traffic or whatever other reason they choose too) I personally would feel pretty daft just hanging round twiddling my thumbs for 10/15mins when I could be getting on with something productive? Or do I take the view that seems to be very popular of pfft “I’m not helping anyone” or “that’s not my job” or “why should I work for free”? Everyone is employed by RM to do a job including absorption and personally I work till my round is finished if that includes OT or I finish early so be it, I do not take my breaks whilst out as I don’t find I need or want one but that is my choice but I do claim this as part of OT if I’ve worked over my time.
Everyone is employed by Royal Mail to do a job properly. That means starting at your start time, taking your meal relief which is part of royal mails working policies as well as health and safety policies and finishing on your time or requesting overtime if required. By coming in early and doing 15 minutes instead of twiddling your thumbs and not taking your breaks you are not only making your colleagues potentially look bad but you are also failing to follow royal mail procedures. It seems to be new starters in my office that don't understand why there are strong objections but maybe once they have been in long enough they will realise the repercussions of working for free. Saying that there are plenty of long serving posties just as bad.
No issues with being early to the office, I do it in the morning myself if I haven't slept in lol but I sit in the canteen and the union in my office have started to enforce this more. Its those 15 mins early that being used to prep a frame etc that is causing the damage. If someone requires 15 minutes extra it should be overtime at end of shift and not free time in the morning. All this does is give management a false picture on how long that duty requires to be completed. That then leads to them harassing someone else who does start on their time on the same duty and requests those 15 minutes of overtime. If they can do it on time why cant u ? etc. We all need done sometimes that wee bit early so come in and work for free but if its happening on a daily basis its only harming the staff. As for the breaks thing it happens in my office too but I just don't understand why no one does ? why would anyone work through their break time ?
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Thoughts after 10 weeks
Because long before you came into the job a lot of posties lost a lot of money by going on strike to protect and get the terms and conditions like paid dinner breaks which most of your don't seem to bother. Maybee RM should take it off you and make it unpaid. They probably will because your will STILL work for NOTHING. ............steve1873 wrote:It isn't for your own benefit at all. Stop lying to yourself would be the first step.Zoemaz123 wrote:I can’t understand why people moan if you go in early off your own back, I’m contracted to 25 hours a week and I start around 20 minutes earlier for my own benefit, 9 times out of 10 my frame hasn’t been touched so I go in early to start so I can get out for a reasonable time.
It is for the management's benefit.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16711
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Thoughts after 10 weeks
And neither do a lot of the posties who went on strike to protect the terms and conditions.Navalron wrote:
Because long before you came into the job a lot of posties lost a lot of money by going on strike to protect and get the terms and conditions like paid dinner breaks which most of your don't seem to bother.
Most new starts simply follow the prevailing culture in the office.
The blame doesn't lie on their shoulders.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.