ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCIES IN DELIVERY

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
zz666
Posts: 223
Joined: 22 Jul 2016, 20:08
Gender: Male

VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCIES IN DELIVERY

Post by zz666 »

RM will never achieve 3% hours savings a year through natural wastage alone. Redundancies are a sure bet.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCIES IN DELIVERY

Post by Navalron »

thewayforward wrote:Does anyone know now RM’s financial statement has been released today (22nd May 2019),whether it is possible to apply for voluntary redundancy in delivery If you are a 59 year old OPG walking 12 miles a day and want to avoid collapsing in this summers heat! :cool Does any application need to go via my line manager ? Sorry to sound selfish, I know I am lucky to have a job :neutral: but I have been doing this job for 38 years now and I am trying avoid jacking it in!
38 year man and your talking about jacking it in. NO WAY. there are other ways, like jumping on the sick with full pay(if not all used up) for six months and hopefully them coming to you with ill health retirement. Don't walk away with nothing but I expect you know the score. :thumbup
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCIES IN DELIVERY

Post by LouBarlow »

6 hour deliveries aren't the norm? We've been doing them for years.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCIES IN DELIVERY

Post by norris9 »

zz666 wrote:RM will never achieve 3% hours savings a year through natural wastage alone. Redundancies are a sure bet.
What is Natural Wastage?

Is this something to do with Postie's bodies wasting away from years and years of walking?


Most of the older Posties are slim and seem to have no muscles in their legs.....Is this what will come of me, wasting away, if I stay for 20 years+
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCIES IN DELIVERY

Post by Celgar »

norris9 wrote:
zz666 wrote:RM will never achieve 3% hours savings a year through natural wastage alone. Redundancies are a sure bet.
What is Natural Wastage?

Is this something to do with Postie's bodies wasting away from years and years of walking?


Most of the older Posties are slim and seem to have no muscles in their legs.....Is this what will come of me, wasting away, if I stay for 20 years+
The term 'natural wastage' refers to posties leaving the job of their own accord for their own reasons which leaves RM with no financial cost and achieves their plan of getting rid of 8000 posties.

I was under the impression the references to one hour & 3% savings were due to the unions SWW commitment to reduce hours?
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCIES IN DELIVERY

Post by Postie45 »

norris9 wrote:
zz666 wrote:RM will never achieve 3% hours savings a year through natural wastage alone. Redundancies are a sure bet.
What is Natural Wastage?
people leaving the business for any reason, retiring / sacked / to do another job

I think a fair chunk of the required hours will be saved through this, redundancy will be limited its very expensive for RM and I`m sure theyll be reluctant to give it out unless absolutely necessary.
With all the people who are employed on PT contracts from the past few years who get by currently on OT, with the proposed changes its likely that this OT will dry up and a lot will probably be forced elsewhere as they cant afford to live on just the 25 hrs.
Marshamp11
Posts: 437
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
Gender: Male

VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCIES IN DELIVERY

Post by Marshamp11 »

Edward Hunter wrote:
Celgar wrote:
wacko74 wrote:I reckon zero chance of VR in deliveries, even if this getting rid one 1 in 6 duties comes to fruition, the staff reductions could easily be achieved just through ''natural wastage''
Today's report from the RM has a few interesting bits of information in it aside from the bad news. The percentage of 'natural wastage' of staff in RM is less than third of the national average in the UK. So I have a feeling losing 8000 staff may not be that easy.
But i think RM also know they have a lot of older posties who are Full Time. In the next 10 years a lot will be retiring (or collapsing) which will negate the need for a lot of VRs and also weaken the union at the same time.
Ours is an ageing office with over half of us due to retire over the next 10 years.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCIES IN DELIVERY

Post by Celgar »

Two or three posties in our small DO will likely retire within the next four years. RM have all the figures so I guess they must have a good idea how many posties might retire over the next four years.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
zz666
Posts: 223
Joined: 22 Jul 2016, 20:08
Gender: Male

VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCIES IN DELIVERY

Post by zz666 »

3% savings per year equates to 20000 job losses.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCIES IN DELIVERY

Post by wacko74 »

Don't forget not renewing new starters temporary contracts when talking about ''natural wastage''

I still say there's virtually zero chance of VR in delivery (although I'd love to be proved wrong and offered it! :pray )
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCIES IN DELIVERY

Post by k979aaa »

Don't forget some one will have to to the LAT/Large PKT/ Re Delivery's/Collecting Returns/ job's while they cut the job's on deliveries or make the duties bigger or lapse more of them either way redundancy will only apply to management they don't like giving workers the pay off!