ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by norris9 »

yellowbelly wrote:
norris9 wrote:If they are looking at PDA actuals to decide if our walks are fair or not, then surely that is a good thing...

I think on average I finish on time....but have no time for a break. So based on PDA actuals they should cut a loop out so I can fit in a break.
But there's the possibility they won't look at the PDA actuals in detail enough to see if you took a break, they might just look for an
out the door time and an in the door time or logoff time - and assume that you've taken your designated break. So as another
poster has said, if you're on time they'll be happy as larry and you'll be 'back on time' but without any breaks. Take your breaks......
Take a loop off my job and I'll take my break.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by norris9 »

As for PDA's.... I think a better warning about Special Deliveries needing to be delivered would help. At 12:00, 12:15, 12:30 and 12:45 the PDA's should belt out Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan's 'Especially for you', to remind you that you are oh so true....and should get those blo0dy specials delivered.

I wonder if a 'van share postie locator' would also be useful. Maybe you somehow link PDA's and you can find out where your fellow Postie is so you know if you need to go and pick him/her up or if you have time to deliver more parcels.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by rubberbond »

worktotime wrote:well that will be a first then a dim using pda data a nationally agreed work tool :left: this has been live for months and our dim hasn't used it so what will change , has any dim in any office used it ?
The question ,albeit a rhetorical one , is,does any Dim know how to?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3730
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by yellowbelly »

norris9 wrote:
yellowbelly wrote:
norris9 wrote:If they are looking at PDA actuals to decide if our walks are fair or not, then surely that is a good thing...

I think on average I finish on time....but have no time for a break. So based on PDA actuals they should cut a loop out so I can fit in a break.
But there's the possibility they won't look at the PDA actuals in detail enough to see if you took a break, they might just look for an
out the door time and an in the door time or logoff time - and assume that you've taken your designated break. So as another
poster has said, if you're on time they'll be happy as larry and you'll be 'back on time' but without any breaks. Take your breaks......
Take a loop off my job and I'll take my break.
Seriously, if we have a hot summer again, you'll soon start to suffer if you don't take a break and take time to rehydrate. You could get
heat exhaustion/heat stroke - RM will investigate whether you took a break. If not THEY WILL POINT THE FINGER AT YOU. The 'over running'
procedure is jointly agreed between CWU and RM. 'Take a loop off my job and I'll take my break' is an empty threat to RM.

As posters have said, these rights have been gained through the actions of previous generations of posties. There is an
over running procedure there for you to use.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by Postie45 »

Trail wrote:The only time our office managers used PDA data is if a parcel/packet went missing.

It happened to me once. I was as clean as a whistle. The parcel turned up.

Everyone in our office knew I was the quickest thing on two legs and would 95% of the time finish well ahead of time, they never needed to check my PDA for anything else other than parcels gone astray. There wasn't anyone in our office who was quicker than me, and I was bounced from duty to duty to duty so familiarity with the route wasn't an issue. I still beat the c*nt out of everyone in our office (Doncaster).

And I listen to people on here moaning about fatigue or fitness. Get out of those CAT or Magnum shoes, get a decent pair of Nike Revolution 3 trainers on you and just go for it. I wouldn't touch any Royal Mail shoes at all. Would you expect Usain Bolt to run around in CAT boots? No, you wouldn't, so why expect people doing a half-marathon every day to do the same? As soon as I realised this I was knocking shitloads of time off of every bag I delivered.
seems like trolling, regardless i find this post amusing
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by Interested-seeker »

Can they still see where you are going and collect data whilst the PDA is in sleep mode?

I have mine on sleep mode a lot whilst walking around.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by k979aaa »

Interested-seeker wrote:Can they still see where you are going and collect data whilst the PDA is in sleep mode?

I have mine on sleep mode a lot whilst walking around.
It is like a mobile phone it is never asleep till it is turned of or better still battery took out some have said tin foil works but I wrapped my phone in ten sheets of tin foil and it still rang others take to using postboxes to put phones in they still ring just as they do in the back of a van. I find inside a microwave on full power works but it has to be at least 650W for ten minuets but let it rest for 5 minuets before picking it up safety warning. Some say even if you take the battery out it still sends signals through the power of a 3 volt battery built into it but I have found a work around for that one put it in a safe place a SAFE.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by Celgar »

Interested-seeker wrote:Can they still see where you are going and collect data whilst the PDA is in sleep mode?

I have mine on sleep mode a lot whilst walking around.
I'm not sure. In our DO we all been invited to go up to the office and see our own PDA data but I haven't had chance to do so yet. I think that if you press the off button once and the screen goes black so it can't do things while in your pouch/pocket/wherever the movements of the PDA are still monitored.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by k979aaa »

Celgar wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:Can they still see where you are going and collect data whilst the PDA is in sleep mode?

I have mine on sleep mode a lot whilst walking around.
I'm not sure. In our DO we all been invited to go up to the office and see our own PDA data but I haven't had chance to do so yet. I think that if you press the off button once and the screen goes black so it can't do things while in your pouch/pocket/wherever the movements of the PDA are still monitored.
It is like a phone it connects even if the screen is off but it cannot send data when it has no power just like a mobile phone.