ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Big Announcement next week
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Big Announcement next week
Im just not interested in losing value of share price, how about something is done about DSA ? Once upper management do their jobs and actually earn their money and get this sorted with the regulator then we can talk.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Big Announcement next week
A small thing in relation to the whole business, but I do wonder how many letters/parcels get delivered each year with unmarked and therefore reusable stamps.
Although I don't get much stamped mail delivered to my house, I do often get unmarked stamps which is a bonus, buy something off ebay and get a free stamp....nice!
Now as a postman - I have realised there's probably on average £10 worth of stamp value that I have to cross out each week. If this is the average across the UK then x by how many postmen there are.....I wonder what that equates to and how many stamps aren't crossed out by Postie's. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the £millions.
Although I don't get much stamped mail delivered to my house, I do often get unmarked stamps which is a bonus, buy something off ebay and get a free stamp....nice!
Now as a postman - I have realised there's probably on average £10 worth of stamp value that I have to cross out each week. If this is the average across the UK then x by how many postmen there are.....I wonder what that equates to and how many stamps aren't crossed out by Postie's. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the £millions.
-
Tinoblade
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
- Gender: Male
Big Announcement next week
s**t, are we supposed to do that?norris9 wrote:A small thing in relation to the whole business, but I do wonder how many letters/parcels get delivered each year with unmarked and therefore reusable stamps.
Although I don't get much stamped mail delivered to my house, I do often get unmarked stamps which is a bonus, buy something off ebay and get a free stamp....nice!
Now as a postman - I have realised there's probably on average £10 worth of stamp value that I have to cross out each week. If this is the average across the UK then x by how many postmen there are.....I wonder what that equates to and how many stamps aren't crossed out by Postie's. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the £millions.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Big Announcement next week
People had jobs solely to do just that in RM once upon a time but to save money they tried to get us to do ten job's at the same time guess what it does not work and things don't get done!Tinoblade wrote:s**t, are we supposed to do that?norris9 wrote:A small thing in relation to the whole business, but I do wonder how many letters/parcels get delivered each year with unmarked and therefore reusable stamps.
Although I don't get much stamped mail delivered to my house, I do often get unmarked stamps which is a bonus, buy something off ebay and get a free stamp....nice!
Now as a postman - I have realised there's probably on average £10 worth of stamp value that I have to cross out each week. If this is the average across the UK then x by how many postmen there are.....I wonder what that equates to and how many stamps aren't crossed out by Postie's. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the £millions.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Big Announcement next week
The vast majority of uncrossed stamps will end up in the bin anyway, if you weigh it against the number of stamps bought (in packs of 6) that will lie in drawers and never be used I don't think the business has much to complain about..I wonder what that equates to and how many stamps aren't crossed out by Postie's. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the £millions.
What we have to understand is that what we're facing was always an inescapable consequence of privatisation. We're not losing money, we just aren't generating enough profit to keep the shareholders and their greed happy. What Royal Mail needs to decide is whether it tries to build a sustainable business model that can adapt to future needs which requires investment or whether it continues down this route of trying to keep the stock market sweet by cutting costs until there's nothing left to cut.
It needs someone with real vision to lead us out of this mess, I fear that's unlikely with the present board. I think a takeover is a definite possibility and the CWU will quite rightly be bricking it at the thought but they have to stay strong and force the business to think long-term not capitulate to Royal Mail's inevitable slash and burn solution to the problem.
If the CWU allow Royal Mail the scope to do to us what Amazon does to its workforce just to save us from takeover they won't have protected us from anything, they'll have just changed the face of the executioner.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Big Announcement next week
I think that figure is incorrect, RMG's pretax profit for 2018 was £212 million not the £565million the article reports. I think there would have to be another profit warning from the CEO if the figure deviated that much from the profit update it posted in January, which at that time said it was broadly on target.BRIBRI wrote:https://www.ig.com/nl/nieuws-en-trading ... lts-190516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;wacko74 wrote:Got a source for that?Spigot bearing wrote:Its pre tax profit is expected to be down £213 million on last year. Bad times ahead brothers and sisters.
I think the £500-530 million prediction from Rico Back was operating profit, so there would be other deductions to account for before arriving at the pretax figure, which could be what the £342million figure is alluding to. A little bit of a misleading article to conflate the pretax profit with the operating profit.
RMG historical fundamentals in link below
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... nd-reports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I stand corrected if I am wrong, don't think I am though :)
'Libraries gave us power'
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Big Announcement next week
Thanks for the link
So in fairness to the article there is no mention of this years expected operating profit only the pre-tax, the transformation costs were always going to be a big chunk of change so £342m might be accurate.
Lets see what weds brings.
So in fairness to the article there is no mention of this years expected operating profit only the pre-tax, the transformation costs were always going to be a big chunk of change so £342m might be accurate.
Lets see what weds brings.
'Libraries gave us power'
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Big Announcement next week
Probably Thursday.mickeymacca wrote:Thanks for the link
So in fairness to the article there is no mention of this years expected operating profit only the pre-tax, the transformation costs were always going to be a big chunk of change so £342m might be accurate.
Lets see what weds brings.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Big Announcement next week
Maybe it's been decided we all do our deliveries on one of those tuk-tuk bikes?
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Big Announcement next week
Maybe they will recruit Indian postmen too. In 1999 heard them say the dutch postmen will take all our job's never seen or heard a dutch postmen yet in 20 years!norris9 wrote:Maybe it's been decided we all do our deliveries on one of those tuk-tuk bikes?
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4116
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Big Announcement next week
[/quote]
never seen or heard a dutch postmen yet in 20 years![/quote]
You'll hear one before you see one especially wearing clogs. Mind you bet they're more comfortable than RM footwear !
never seen or heard a dutch postmen yet in 20 years![/quote]
You'll hear one before you see one especially wearing clogs. Mind you bet they're more comfortable than RM footwear !
-
itinerant
- Posts: 156
- Joined: 16 Sep 2017, 17:54
- Gender: Male
Big Announcement next week
That sums it up nicely. The great race to the bottom!!Woody Guthrie wrote: What we have to understand is that what we're facing was always an inescapable consequence of privatisation. We're not losing money, we just aren't generating enough profit to keep the shareholders and their greed happy. What Royal Mail needs to decide is whether it tries to build a sustainable business model that can adapt to future needs which requires investment or whether it continues down this route of trying to keep the stock market sweet by cutting costs until there's nothing left to cut.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Big Announcement next week
You have vastly underestimated how many pounds worth of stamps are not cancelled given the current cost of first class stamps and the large size stamp which is used more often nowadays. Quite often people put way too much postage on items to make sure they get delivered. I would go with a base figure of £10 per DAY per walk as an absolute minimum. I don't understand why the sorting machines cannot cancel more of the stamps. We are asked to draw a line through the uncanceled stamps by the DOMs but there isn't really any time to spare nowadays in the job.norris9 wrote:A small thing in relation to the whole business, but I do wonder how many letters/parcels get delivered each year with unmarked and therefore reusable stamps.
Although I don't get much stamped mail delivered to my house, I do often get unmarked stamps which is a bonus, buy something off ebay and get a free stamp....nice!
Now as a postman - I have realised there's probably on average £10 worth of stamp value that I have to cross out each week. If this is the average across the UK then x by how many postmen there are.....I wonder what that equates to and how many stamps aren't crossed out by Postie's. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the £millions.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Big Announcement next week
Just I said people had job's just cancelling stamps that is all they did all day or night! Some must have got off putting a line through the queens head.Celgar wrote:You have vastly underestimated how many pounds worth of stamps are not cancelled given the current cost of first class stamps and the large size stamp which is used more often nowadays. Quite often people put way too much postage on items to make sure they get delivered. I would go with a base figure of £10 per DAY per walk as an absolute minimum. I don't understand why the sorting machines cannot cancel more of the stamps. We are asked to draw a line through the uncanceled stamps by the DOMs but there isn't really any time to spare nowadays in the job.norris9 wrote:A small thing in relation to the whole business, but I do wonder how many letters/parcels get delivered each year with unmarked and therefore reusable stamps.
Although I don't get much stamped mail delivered to my house, I do often get unmarked stamps which is a bonus, buy something off ebay and get a free stamp....nice!
Now as a postman - I have realised there's probably on average £10 worth of stamp value that I have to cross out each week. If this is the average across the UK then x by how many postmen there are.....I wonder what that equates to and how many stamps aren't crossed out by Postie's. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the £millions.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Big Announcement next week
I guess they make up for it by the amount of stamped post that is lost and needs to be resent by the customer.Celgar wrote:You have vastly underestimated how many pounds worth of stamps are not cancelled given the current cost of first class stamps and the large size stamp which is used more often nowadays. Quite often people put way too much postage on items to make sure they get delivered. I would go with a base figure of £10 per DAY per walk as an absolute minimum. I don't understand why the sorting machines cannot cancel more of the stamps. We are asked to draw a line through the uncanceled stamps by the DOMs but there isn't really any time to spare nowadays in the job.norris9 wrote:A small thing in relation to the whole business, but I do wonder how many letters/parcels get delivered each year with unmarked and therefore reusable stamps.
Although I don't get much stamped mail delivered to my house, I do often get unmarked stamps which is a bonus, buy something off ebay and get a free stamp....nice!
Now as a postman - I have realised there's probably on average £10 worth of stamp value that I have to cross out each week. If this is the average across the UK then x by how many postmen there are.....I wonder what that equates to and how many stamps aren't crossed out by Postie's. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the £millions.