Just call at 12pm tell them your going to be cutting off finish on timeyellowbelly wrote:That's pretty much what a break is - take a paper or book or audio book with you...norris9 wrote:......If taken during the round - I wouldn't be doing anything on my 30mins break,
Either make sure you claim for work carried out or follow the "Royal Mail Avoiding Delay Process" (commonly known as 'cutting off') to the letter.norris9 wrote:What's not ideal is RM giving you too much work to do that you are constantly working over your contracted hours and not getting paid for it.
Don't go down the route of working and not getting paid - once you go down that route it's very difficult to stop it and managers will realise they
can pile work on you, a bit of lapsing here and there, a few new builds on the round, yeah you can take those parcels, unexpected
mass mailings etc. and get away with not paying OT.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Lads?
-
Smith1212
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
- Gender: Male
Lads?
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3730
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Lads?
Wouldn't recommend this - there is an expectation that if you take mail out you are going to deliver it. There is a set procedure which is inSmith1212 wrote:Just call at 12pm tell them your going to be cutting off finish on timeyellowbelly wrote:That's pretty much what a break is - take a paper or book or audio book with you...norris9 wrote:......If taken during the round - I wouldn't be doing anything on my 30mins break,
Either make sure you claim for work carried out or follow the "Royal Mail Avoiding Delay Process" (commonly known as 'cutting off') to the letter.norris9 wrote:What's not ideal is RM giving you too much work to do that you are constantly working over your contracted hours and not getting paid for it.
Don't go down the route of working and not getting paid - once you go down that route it's very difficult to stop it and managers will realise they
can pile work on you, a bit of lapsing here and there, a few new builds on the round, yeah you can take those parcels, unexpected
mass mailings etc. and get away with not paying OT.
the Members Handbook which I've linked to you in another post that you should follow. In the first instance inform manager before you
go out that you don't think you'll be able to complete within your contracted hours. Then that gives the manager a chance to initially
have a whinge and moan but also they'll be able to make arrangements to deliver what you don't think you'll be able to deliver.
If you leave it till 12pm your manager is possibly almost out the door and will have a fit - that's even if you can get hold of them.
If you can't get hold of them and then bring stuff back you'll possibly be in a world of pain.
-
Smith1212
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
- Gender: Male
Lads?
Thats what were told to do at my depot we take mail out and tell them were struggling in the morning then call them at 12pm to tell them the same and they get someone to help or bring it back and someone who wants overtime takes it out !
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Lads?
If the mail's shagged, and the York's are lined up out the door who gives a toss. That's the managements problem. Let them at least earn some of their wages. And ffs take your breaks and never mind about your partner who might be in the job longer but is exactly the same grade as you. End off.norris9 wrote:Although not what a break is designed for, but what do you think about skipping breaks and instead leaving early. I think this is how many Posties play it (if they can), they effectively take their break at the end of the round by getting to go home early. I'd prefer to do the same, but the thing is - I am not having a break and I am not leaving early. I either leave on time or leave late with zero breaks.Ren Hoëk wrote:I absolutely understand what you are saying. But my god, I personally would 100% take my break and love to see their muggy little faces.
If your partner says anything that could be perceived as intimidation. Take it straight to your boss. It is them who has the problem. Not you. If it continues, escalate it. Keep an accurate diary the whole time. If it continues. Seek private legal advice. People (within the company and outside of it) have fought very hard for these rights, We should protect them.
I will see how things go. Out on the walk I'm more or less as fast as I can be. At the depot I am a fair bit slower at bagging up and especially sorting mail into slots. Some time can be made up here, maybe 10 minutes on a typical day, but when there is a tonne of sorting of mail and packages to do when I come in, that costs us a lot of time. But in time, once I get a bit quicker and have experienced a wider variety of walks then I will have a better idea of whether we are overworked or not, whether I can squeeze in a break or not, and then, if not, I can have that conversation with a manager. I think it's too early days to be having that conversation.
Another thing is...apparently Full Timers are entitled to a 20 minute break during the round....Part Timers are entitled to a 30 minute break. It doesn't make much sense.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Lads?
Yes.norris9 wrote:Can a line manager from another part of the depot give you more work to do if you come back early?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Lads?
I suppose in theory yes if they are following RM rules to the letter. Coming back early is a rare occurrence though nowadays. I used to get done a bit earlier every Tuesday but if you count all the break time then I went over by 15 minutes today.norris9 wrote:Can a line manager from another part of the depot give you more work to do if you come back early?
The rules are you are meant to say to the manager BEFORE you go out on delivery that you won't have time to complete and what do THEY want to do about it. Phoning up later can potentially land you in a heap of ****. Presuming you own a mobile phone which I don't.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Lads?
The other day I came back early and a manager got me to do more work at the depot.....yet other Posties were back at the depot early and signing out and he didn't stop them. I was singled out. WTF.Celgar wrote:I suppose in theory yes if they are following RM rules to the letter. Coming back early is a rare occurrence though nowadays. I used to get done a bit earlier every Tuesday but if you count all the break time then I went over by 15 minutes today.norris9 wrote:Can a line manager from another part of the depot give you more work to do if you come back early?
The rules are you are meant to say to the manager BEFORE you go out on delivery that you won't have time to complete and what do THEY want to do about it. Phoning up later can potentially land you in a heap of ****. Presuming you own a mobile phone which I don't.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Lads?
I'll have G for grievance please Bob.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.