ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Leaflets

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Leaflets

Post by norris9 »

I find it inevitable that I or my fellow postie accidently pick leaflets out of the frame for an address that has no letters that day, it happens a lot. Sometimes it's obvious where the leaflet(s) should go if they are sandwiched between addresses with post, but sometimes they are not and I just put these random leaflets through one of the upcoming houses. I think it's the safest thing to do....rather than put them in a bin which could get you into the shiz, or putting them back in your bag and leaving them there. So some people probably end up getting the same leaflet twice

I do find it pretty rude to put leaflets through 'no junk mail' letterboxes. Like with many things in this job - you can't win.

You're damned if you do or damned if you don't....

If you post or don't post leaflets through 'no junk mail' letterboxes.

If you knock too loudly or you knock too softly.

If you get attacked by a dog your damned if you kick the dog to get it off you and your damned if you don't...as you will be eaten alive.

If you are told to do something by a manager and then told not to do that thing by your fellow grumpy Postie....you are moaned at either way, whatever you do.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Leaflets

Post by greengiant »

scoobydo79 wrote:
gimba wrote:Leaflets count as first class mail
Unless the reciever official Opts-out

And if they do opt out you'll have a card amongst your redirections you do in the morning before bagging up

Others that say don't deliver or whatever, is wrong
Company's pay big money for this service
It'll be like you sending letters out and the postman going "naahhh don't want to" , you've paid money for the service, and it should be provided
Might be wrong but if the note on the door says no leaflets then it’s no leaflets. Can’t be doing with aggressive customers asking Me if I can read.
Except the customer is actually the company who paid Royal Mail to get their item of D2D delivered, not the recipient...
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Leaflets

Post by scoobydo79 »

I take Your point (and the others) but I know what I will be doing.Royal Mail also have an obligation to ensure posties safety and I will not antagonise a customer who I feel is aggressive.If a customer says if You put that sh1te through My door once more Il knock Your head off I will not be doing it.
twoloops
Posts: 2041
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Leaflets

Post by twoloops »

scoobydo79 wrote:You put that sh1te through My door once more Il knock Your head off
I would not be letting anyone getaway with talking to me like that, he'd be collecting his mail from the office.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Leaflets

Post by Celgar »

The D2D opt out doesn't cover government mailings such as refuse collection info, national information leaflets such as flu epidemics, AIDs/ health type leaflets or the election mailings.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3730
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Leaflets

Post by yellowbelly »

Celgar wrote:The D2D opt out doesn't cover government mailings such as refuse collection info, national information leaflets such as flu epidemics, AIDs/ health type leaflets or the election mailings.
It might if they're sent as D2D, depends how 'important' they are I suppose, our local county council seasonal booklet
comes as D2D, nothing mentioned about it MUST go to every address therefore ignoring opt out:
Opting out from Royal Mail Door to Door stops all unaddressed items from being delivered by us (although we do work with Government to get a message to every UK address in exceptional circumstances where delivery of the message is deemed to be in the national interest).

Things you need to know before choosing to 'opt out':

It is not possible for us to separate material you don't want from those you do want. For example: advertising offers or leaflets from material from Central and Local Government and other public bodies.
I confirm that I have read and fully understood your letter advising me of the implications of “opting out” of receiving deliveries by Royal Mail
of unaddressed Door to Door mail items to my address.
I understand that I may miss important information from local or national government or other publications that are sent using this service.
gmf_uk
Posts: 12
Joined: 04 Apr 2018, 12:47
Gender: Male

Leaflets

Post by gmf_uk »

i often find d2d's posted back into letterboxes when I am on collections!!!
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Leaflets

Post by Navalron »

GT85 wrote:Yep, If challenged just politely agree that whilst it is annoying you are obliged to deliver them unless they have officially opted out. Advise them to go to royalmail .com and select opt out of d2d and within a couple of weeks a no d2d sticker should appear on their slot in the sorting frame and they will have one thing less to moan about in their miserable lives.

Hahaha. MOAN ABOUT IN THEIR MISERABLE LIVES. That quite just cracked me up when I read it. :nana :nana :nana :thumbup
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Leaflets

Post by Postie45 »

scoobydo79 wrote:I take Your point (and the others) but I know what I will be doing.Royal Mail also have an obligation to ensure posties safety and I will not antagonise a customer who I feel is aggressive.If a customer says if You put that sh1te through My door once more Il knock Your head off I will not be doing it.
actually you should report this to both your manager and the police. Thats outrageous to be threatened with physical assault for doing your job. The manager should cease delivery to his property immediately.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Leaflets

Post by Postie45 »

norris9 wrote:
If you get attacked by a dog your damned if you kick the dog to get it off you and your damned if you don't...as you will be eaten alive..
you would be allowed to use any means of reasonable force to end the attack. That involves kicking, punching, slapping, you dont have to stand there and take it while a dog bites you. Obviously best course of action is keep away from a dog or find an escape. I have a zero tolerance policy, if i dont know the walk im on and theres an open door and no sign of owners = no delivery and not approaching the door theres too many dogs about to risk it, if theres a dog free in the front garden = no delivery. In the end, it really is just mail, its not worth being injured over, theyll likely get it the next day.