ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do I have an arguement?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

Do I have an arguement?

Post by themailman »

joewyan wrote:
themailman wrote:Take your contracted daily hours.
Take the break off.
Take the allocated duty time off (4 - 4.5 hours)

That will leave you with the time you are supposed to spend doing indoor/prep.

Generally speaking, as a PT member of staff, your walk should be fully prepped for you coming in, you do re-directions, tie down and van/hct load.

That’s far too general a reply in terms of your walk should be fully prepped. We have part timers on 35hrs, 30hrs, 28hrs, 25hrs and 20hrs. All have completely different elements of indoor work expected.
The OP states that they have been told others are too busy to do it. The fact that it IS fully prepped some days shows that it should be getting done EVERY day, as you will know that no-one would be sorting it out of kindness.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Do I have an arguement?

Post by postslippete »

Firstly, you say that you are a reserve so doing different frames and duties every week you're not generally going to be as quick as the regular duty holder are you. The irony of Royal Mail is that they want their staff to do the job properly i.e. start on time, take their breaks, use the trolley etc etc but in reality they seem to have a big problem when you do this and find that you are also claiming overtime for it.

Refuse to do overtime for a few days and suggest that you will possibly need to cut off. It seems to be a managers job these days to try and bully staff into working faster but if they haven't got the staff to do the work then they have no other option but to give you the overtime.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Do I have an arguement?

Post by Celgar »

Ask the DOM to time you doing the job from start to finish and have them go out with you on delivery. If it can't be done within duty time then the walk will have to be amended. After my walk was timed I was taken off the IPS but my walk is still twenty minutes too long most days. I realise you are not doing the IPS but identifying the problem should get them off your back.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
max49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 31 Dec 2010, 20:58
Gender: Female

Do I have an arguement?

Post by max49 »

Good for you, starting on time and taking your break, I would photograph each day what you have to prep, then ask your manager what he/she would like you to do, would they prefer for you to leave prepping the remainder of the mail in order to finish on time,or cut on delivery. Remember if you take short cuts in order to try to get done and something goes wrong the management will not support you . You could ask to have the the walk tested, but if that happens I bet the walk will be prepped ready for you on that day! I have had my walk tested the last 3 years and each time there is no problem with my delivery rate. Stay strong
paulwolves
Posts: 13
Joined: 01 Nov 2015, 20:04
Gender: Male

Do I have an arguement?

Post by paulwolves »

do what I did when I started.....
just take whats in the frame and leave.
point out your contract as a bag carrier not anything else.
problem is full timers are paid to prep your job but most concentrate on their own job and 1st through the door.
told line manager more time in here means less on the walk.
guarantee you your line manager will make sure its done next time
Sbutts8182
Posts: 136
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 20:12
Gender: Male

Do I have an arguement?

Post by Sbutts8182 »

I take it there is someone allocated to prep your walk until your start time? I also take it that this persons round is already tied up and they are ready to go before you start? If both things are the case then I’d bring that up next time your pulled to one side and spoken to.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Do I have an arguement?

Post by Postie45 »

paulwolves wrote:do what I did when I started.....
just take whats in the frame and leave.
point out your contract as a bag carrier not anything else.
youre treading on dodgy ground doing this off your own back, could be seen as wilful delay.
phillpk1
Posts: 12
Joined: 13 Nov 2013, 01:27
Gender: Male

Do I have an arguement?

Post by phillpk1 »

if its as you say document and photograph so you have evidence -also count items as you prep and bring it to the attention of a manager any mail you have to prep
there is a standard prep rate and if you fall short then they will question and walk all over you -if you are at standard or above you will walk all over them and if they continue will have a legit bullying /harassment case
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Do I have an arguement?

Post by Rapidryan88 »

The annoying thing for me is no doubt most days you’ll go over meanwhile many are back in the office and going home 30-40 minutes before finish time like my depo.

Manager: take your break
*you take break and have to cut off*
Manager: why aren’t you completing!?
Lol can never win
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Do I have an arguement?

Post by NewPostieUK »

Here's what I did:

Go in a couple of minutes early and have a look at my frame. See a tray or whatever.
Go and get the manager. Ask him who is supposed to be prepping my frame, what does he want me to do?
Should I come back later? Would you like me to do some overtime? If I do this then clearly I won't have time to take any lapsing.

Repeat every day.

My manager soon got sick and started to make sure it was prepped before I went in.