ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Fitness

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Fitness

Post by norris9 »

Feeling absolutely cream crackered this evening. If this feeling of tiredness continues I am not sure I'd want to carry on in the job.

It's great finishing in the early afternoon, but for me the rest of the day is written off, I sit on my butt and eat, I could easily fall asleep from anytime after 4pm.

What am I going to be like if I end up doing full time hours....


I'll try to book a week off and see if that helps. I thought that the Sunday and bank holiday Monday would be good for rest, but yesterday (Tuesday) I felt shattered, legs were gone, they felt the worst they have been so far and I had 2 days rest!
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Smith1212 »

It's a hard job mate I'd say it gets easier when your body adapts to it but when it rains and it's cold that will break most postie's lol I myself love the job and nearly 1 year employed now,managers can be bullies but stand your ground work your hours and job is ideal for me anyway. Goodluck
itinerant
Posts: 156
Joined: 16 Sep 2017, 17:54
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by itinerant »

norris9 wrote:Feeling absolutely cream crackered this evening. If this feeling of tiredness continues I am not sure I'd want to carry on in the job.

It's great finishing in the early afternoon, but for me the rest of the day is written off, I sit on my butt and eat, I could easily fall asleep from anytime after 4pm.

What am I going to be like if I end up doing full time hours....


I'll try to book a week off and see if that helps. I thought that the Sunday and bank holiday Monday would be good for rest, but yesterday (Tuesday) I felt shattered, legs were gone, they felt the worst they have been so far and I had 2 days rest!
It takes a while mate. I have been in the job 18 months now and really enjoy it but the first couple of months were really hard and I used to snooze every evening (despite being fit and having run marathons - I had worked in an office for 25 years and was not used to being on my feet all day and working that physically hard). Every new starter at our office has been through the same experience but your body does adjust. Keep the faith :Very Happy
sf25
Posts: 43
Joined: 22 Apr 2012, 13:57
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by sf25 »

Personally it all depends on which route I am on and if its a heavy or "not too bad" week. I think everyone outside of the job completely underestimates the amount of walking we actually do on a daily basis though and think our shifts are quick and easy.
Wicket2017
Posts: 37
Joined: 04 Jul 2018, 19:08
Gender: Female

Fitness

Post by Wicket2017 »

I’m 4 months into this job and I’m still crippled in the evenings, my muscles, feet and joints ache. I’m on an hct duty in town with a fair few hills, some days my hct is so heavy I can barely push it, I’ve been on the same duty since I started but wish they’d move me around a bit like the other reserves. On the plus side I don’t fall asleep at 8pm anymore like I did when I started
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Fitness

Post by norris9 »

Wicket2017 wrote:I’m 4 months into this job and I’m still crippled in the evenings, my muscles, feet and joints ache. I’m on an hct duty in town with a fair few hills, some days my hct is so heavy I can barely push it, I’ve been on the same duty since I started but wish they’d move me around a bit like the other reserves. On the plus side I don’t fall asleep at 8pm anymore like I did when I started

Although not right.... I am glad it's normal and it's not just me. I wake up in the morning and I am sore, my feet feel like I am walking on raw bone, feels like the boney parts of the bottom of my feet are all bruised up, Calf muscles tight too.

It's weird - when I am out on the round I seem to feel the pain and tightness a lot less.... it's when I am not working..in the evenings and in the mornings that I really notice it.

Went to bed around 8.20pm last night, annoyed I could not stay up to watch the Spurs game as I was completely knackered..... wake up and I've missed another awesome game of football.

Hopefully a 4 day break or more from work and these new RM trainers will improve things for me.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by woody38 »

Not sure Norris 9 if u use a HCT or u do park and loop, the one thing I have found is to split the loops into smaller loops, it does help me I feel less tired at night, if u work with a partner it may not be so easy but ask, try it it helps me
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Energy drinks.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I bring along a couple of those Emerge Stimulation Drinks in the skinny 250 milliliter cans. They contain the usual taurine, inositol (used in explosives as inosotil nitrate), caffeine, and the B vitamin group. The Emerge brand is cheaper than Red Bull or Monster. The little 250ml cans cost about 30p, but occasionally I'll treat myself to a Red Bull at £1.29 for the same size can. Tesco also has their own brand for about 40p per 250ml cans.

Maybe it's psychological boost, but I do feel a rush of adrenaline coursing through my veins. And the caffeine, too. :nervous Anyway, I take a swig of the stuff before I start my first loop, and then another can on my break. No more after that because I don't want the energy boost keeping me awake at night.

Some of the folks I'm partnered with are energy drink enthusiasts like me, while others don't bother and a couple are diabetics who can't touch the stuff.
Emerge Dual Energy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by DrSatan »

Maybe one of the main reasons we are paid much better than most unskilled jobs is because of the physical side. Don't get nearly 12 an hour paid working in a shop or supermarket.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3730
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by yellowbelly »

norris9 wrote:....... I sit on my butt and eat, I could easily fall asleep from anytime after 4pm.
I've realised a while ago that when I got home and actually thought I was hungry I was more likely dehydrated. So as soon as I get home
I have a drink of water and if I still think I'm hungry I have a banana instead of hitting the dark choccy digestives......
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Fitness

Post by norris9 »

PostmanBitesDog wrote:Energy drinks.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I bring along a couple of those Emerge Stimulation Drinks in the skinny 250 milliliter cans.

Energy drinks are lethal.

You can tell by how bad they are by the smell of peoples' breath. A guy in an office I worked at used to drink them and the whole office would stink of energy drink dog breath. The sugar content, the acidity - it really makes the bacteria in people's mouths come alive.

I do drink Energy Drinks once in a while, but on a daily basis..... you will destroy your teeth.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Fitness

Post by norris9 »

yellowbelly wrote:
norris9 wrote:....... I sit on my butt and eat, I could easily fall asleep from anytime after 4pm.
I've realised a while ago that when I got home and actually thought I was hungry I was more likely dehydrated. So as soon as I get home
I have a drink of water and if I still think I'm hungry I have a banana instead of hitting the dark choccy digestives......

Could be the case. Will try to down a couple of pints of water when I get home in future.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Fitness

Post by norris9 »

DrSatan wrote:Maybe one of the main reasons we are paid much better than most unskilled jobs is because of the physical side. Don't get nearly 12 an hour paid working in a shop or supermarket.
- More physical.
- Sometimes got to work in the pissing rain, freezing cold or blazing heat.
- No time for a break as you are given too many deliveries to do.
- Pressured to go fast due to being given too many deliveries + Postie you are partnered with also pressuring you.
- I'd say there is probably more responsibility. You need to drive a RM vehicle, keep post safe etc.
- Can be attacked by dogs.


I can't imagine that retail would be quite as stressful as being a Postie.


If I was given a fair round, of which I could do alone at my own speed, with no fellow Postie whinging or pressurising me, then the job would be a hell of a lot nicer....
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Celgar »

norris9 wrote:
PostmanBitesDog wrote:Energy drinks.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I bring along a couple of those Emerge Stimulation Drinks in the skinny 250 milliliter cans.

Energy drinks are lethal.

You can tell by how bad they are by the smell of peoples' breath. A guy in an office I worked at used to drink them and the whole office would stink of energy drink dog breath. The sugar content, the acidity - it really makes the bacteria in people's mouths come alive.

I do drink Energy Drinks once in a while, but on a daily basis..... you will destroy your teeth.
No idea about the breath problem but energy drinks such as Red Bull are just sugar. Better to have a cup of coffee if you like the effect of caffeine.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Celgar »

norris9 wrote:
DrSatan wrote:Maybe one of the main reasons we are paid much better than most unskilled jobs is because of the physical side. Don't get nearly 12 an hour paid working in a shop or supermarket.
- More physical.
- Sometimes got to work in the pissing rain, freezing cold or blazing heat.
- No time for a break as you are given too many deliveries to do.
- Pressured to go fast due to being given too many deliveries + Postie you are partnered with also pressuring you.
- I'd say there is probably more responsibility. You need to drive a RM vehicle, keep post safe etc.
- Can be attacked by dogs.


I can't imagine that retail would be quite as stressful as being a Postie.


If I was given a fair round, of which I could do alone at my own speed, with no fellow Postie whinging or pressurising me, then the job would be a hell of a lot nicer....
If you talk to staff in supermarkets, and in particular the checkout staff, you will find it isn't very good working for these companies. They are being watched constantly by cameras on the ceiling and under a lot of pressure. When staff there leave they generally aren't replaced and existing staff are expected to cover the shortfall.
It does sound like RM are about to try and steamroll changes through at the end of this month so odds on we are heading for strike action nationally.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.