ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

'It's been first class!' - Popular postman retires after 29 years!

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

'It's been first class!' - Popular postman retires after 29 years!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st ... ar-2830664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After just shy of three decades of pounding the streets popular postman Peter Webster has hung up his bag for the final time and delivered the news he's retiring.

The 65-year-old had unsurprisingly become a well-known figure in the Moorlands having been responsible for helping mail reach addresses in Leek, Cheddleton, Rudyard, and Ladderedge.


And the grandfather-of-two admits he will miss the role he's been involved in since 1990 - but the family will continue to be represented through son Nicholas Webster who works at Royal Mail's Festival Park base.

Peter, who lives in Leek said: "I've enjoyed every minute of the job and the best part for me has been meeting all the friendly people on my rounds.

"It's a brilliant job and I will definitely miss it."

Prior to becoming a postman Peter had spent 18 years working for Leek-based Adams Foods as a long-distance driver.

But he was relying on his own two feet when he became a postman and went on clock up dozens of miles every day. Peter, whose rounds covered the ST13 area, said: "I've always been a postman for the Royal Mail and stood as the health and safety rep for the past ten years.


"It was part of my job to ensure everyone had a safe environment to work in and I had to make sure everyone was wearing the correct uniform and their vans were in shape, to ensure their safety."

Peter headed in for his final shift at the end of last month at the Royal Mail's Leek depot on Strangman Street where his colleagues presented him with the funds from a farewell whip-round. He said: "I'll miss having fun with the boys. I've done it for the past 29 years and I don't feel like it's over yet.

"I've had no end of well wishers who saw me off and I was always very looked after."


But Peter has no plans to slow down in his retirement and is planning a holiday with wife of 38 years, Glenis, and the couple's grandsons Rian, aged nine, and eight-year-old Josh. He said: "We're taking the grandsons away to Turkey soon and we can't wait. They're gorgeous kids and we love spending time with them."


While sad to bid farewell to the job, Peter knew it was time to go - and kept up with his lifelong tradition of starting and ending chapters in his life at Easter.


Peter added: "It's my favourite time of the year. I left school at Easter, I started the job around Easter, I got married at Easter and now I've left at Easter.

"The job has just been brilliant, I can't fault it."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

'It's been first class!' - Popular postman retires after 29 years!

Post by Yamr1 »

Wishing you a long and healthy retirement
29 year's well done