ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working your rest day

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Working your rest day

Post by Celgar »

mattycash wrote:When you work your rest day do you have your rota man booted off your walk? We get "I'll only come in if I can go on my own walk" :oops: Embarrassing
Less & less posties are willing to work their days off nowadays except if it's a Tuesday for obvious reasons.... Personally I'm willing to work my day off but for reasons of loyalty to my 'customers' and to help out our office rather than to help the entity that is RM. I wouldn't come in if I was going to be put on a walk other than my 'own' walk. I think most posties feel this way. My walk is one of the longer ones anyway so the cover guys are happy not to have to do my walk if possible.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Working your rest day

Post by robbertwhitton »

Yep back in the day was happy to come in if rung up or knew in advance,haven’t done that in many years,can’t be doing with the bartering as to what hours I was going to get,now I simply don’t bother,they can lapse and do what they like,probably cook the books and say the duty was covered anyway!as I get older I value my day off,but each to there own,plenty will do extra for this company,
yellowbelly
Posts: 3730
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Working your rest day

Post by yellowbelly »

Celgar wrote:
mattycash wrote:When you work your rest day do you have your rota man booted off your walk? We get "I'll only come in if I can go on my own walk" :oops: Embarrassing
Less & less posties are willing to work their days off nowadays except if it's a Tuesday for obvious reasons.... Personally I'm willing to work my day off but for reasons of loyalty to my 'customers' and to help out our office rather than to help the entity that is RM. I wouldn't come in if I was going to be put on a walk other than my 'own' walk. I think most posties feel this way. My walk is one of the longer ones anyway so the cover guys are happy not to have to do my walk if possible.
You don't have any customers.....they're recipients.....

And you're not helping your office, you're helping your DOM with his bonus.......

And sorry to point this out, but in many of your previous posts you claim that you and/or people in your office don't get paid overtime yet you're willing
to come in on your day off?
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Working your rest day

Post by norris9 »

u r a machine, walking ~10 miles a day, 6 days a week.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Working your rest day

Post by Celgar »

yellowbelly wrote:
Celgar wrote:
mattycash wrote:When you work your rest day do you have your rota man booted off your walk? We get "I'll only come in if I can go on my own walk" :oops: Embarrassing
Less & less posties are willing to work their days off nowadays except if it's a Tuesday for obvious reasons.... Personally I'm willing to work my day off but for reasons of loyalty to my 'customers' and to help out our office rather than to help the entity that is RM. I wouldn't come in if I was going to be put on a walk other than my 'own' walk. I think most posties feel this way. My walk is one of the longer ones anyway so the cover guys are happy not to have to do my walk if possible.
You don't have any customers.....they're recipients.....

And you're not helping your office, you're helping your DOM with his bonus.......

And sorry to point this out, but in many of your previous posts you claim that you and/or people in your office don't get paid overtime yet you're willing
to come in on your day off?
'Customers' vs 'Recipients'. I would suggest most posties regard the people they deliver to as their customers. We have no contact whatsoever with most companies that send items via RM nor any knowledge of their contracts etc. We only deal with our end of the business and look after 'our customers ' to the best of our abilities.
The smallest DOs operate in a different manner to larger offices in that we care a bit more and maybe go the extra mile. I would disagree and still think I am helping the office if we are short staffed, have staff on sickness, or another postie needs to swap a day off and I agree to work my day off. Our DOM is different to most managers featured on this forum many of which are unsuitable for managerial posts.
We obviously get paid for working our days off. Duty times not being long enough to complete the job is a long standing problem within RM as everyone knows. It's also at best not easy or pleasant and sometimes impossible to claim overtime when we go over duty time. It has got down to relatively small amounts of time over on my walk - usually about twenty minutes - so I tend to forget about it . Not an ideal situation but RM is by no means the only company in the UK to get work done unpaid.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3730
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Working your rest day

Post by yellowbelly »

Celgar wrote: It has got down to relatively small amounts of time over on my walk - usually about twenty minutes - so I tend to forget about it . Not an ideal situation but RM is by no means the only company in the UK to get work done unpaid.
Ok, let's say you work 20 mins extra unpaid on 3 days out of the six - that's an hour a week. Without knowing your exact pay rate or how much holiday you're entitled to a year, let's keep it simple and round it down to £10 an hour and the max six weeks holiday a year, so 46 weeks worked. That's £460 that you're not being paid per year and which RM are saving paying NI contributions and pension contribution payments on :d'oh!
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Working your rest day

Post by Navalron »

yellowbelly wrote:
Celgar wrote: It has got down to relatively small amounts of time over on my walk - usually about twenty minutes - so I tend to forget about it . Not an ideal situation but RM is by no means the only company in the UK to get work done unpaid.
Ok, let's say you work 20 mins extra unpaid on 3 days out of the six - that's an hour a week. Without knowing your exact pay rate or how much holiday you're entitled to a year, let's keep it simple and round it down to £10 an hour and the max six weeks holiday a year, so 46 weeks worked. That's £460 that you're not being paid per year and which RM are saving paying NI contributions and pension contribution payments on :d'oh!
EXACTLY. .....WHY? :thumbdown :so there :hmmmm