Are you trolling? I noticed that several of your posts criticise management. Criticise the company too, saying it's going to the shizzer.zombiepostman wrote:This will be my last post on this forum as i can't believe the crap that is written about old posties and how bad managers are
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Been given notice after 11weeks
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Been given notice after 11weeks
-
CharlesSpooner
- Posts: 383
- Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
- Gender: Male
Been given notice after 11weeks
Utter nonsense. I've been at RM longer than 20 years and when I started so long as you were wearing your uniform you were good to go. There may have been the odd bag check but there were plenty of 2nd deliveries coming back in the day after tucked inside coats and in one bloke's case under his hat!zombiepostman wrote:This will be my last post on this forum as i can't believe the crap that is written about old posties and how bad managers are
when i started twenty years ago you had to be smartly dressed ,on time and you were told if you didn't do a good job you know where the door is ,you had checks when you came back and if you had one letter in a bag you got sent out to deliver it (i see letters and packets brought back daily)half the posties look like tramps and as for the state of most vans its a joke
its a job you have a start time and a finish time if you don't like it find something else.
thank you and goodbye
People are bringing stuff back and not washing their vans because they don't have time anymore. The jobs way harder and finishing at your finish time is a dream to a lot of OPG's - they're took down the conduct code for wanting to finish on time rather than extending 2 hours everyday and lapsing. And there are more coming in hours early unpaid than there are coming in late.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Been given notice after 11weeks
regarding the OP I think we have to keep this thing in mind when advising people, unfortunately its 1 rule for the established full timers and another for those on probation, you know RM are going to get rid of anyone with any backbone if they can and end up with a workforce who they can treat like dogs.
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Been given notice after 11weeks
You are right, the probation period allows RM much more scope in who they employ long term.Postie45 wrote:regarding the OP I think we have to keep this thing in mind when advising people, unfortunately its 1 rule for the established full timers and another for those on probation, you know RM are going to get rid of anyone with any backbone if they can and end up with a workforce who they can treat like dogs.
The other problem it exposes is that new starts do not want to rock the boat. They accept the need to regularly work over duty time, go in early to complete on time etc, in general break any method rules that could allow a performance accusation by an unscrupulous manager who has the ultimate power in future employment.
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Been given notice after 11weeks
You are talking utter crap. Twenty years ago 1999 when the way forward agreement and all that entailed. Your talking bull. Bye bye.zombiepostman wrote:This will be my last post on this forum as i can't believe the crap that is written about old posties and how bad managers are
when i started twenty years ago you had to be smartly dressed ,on time and you were told if you didn't do a good job you know where the door is ,you had checks when you came back and if you had one letter in a bag you got sent out to deliver it (i see letters and packets brought back daily)half the posties look like tramps and as for the state of most vans its a joke
its a job you have a start time and a finish time if you don't like it find something else.
thank you and goodbye
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Been given notice after 11weeks
Another disappointing thread with many rules broken.
Is it any wonder we get called "Knuckle-dragging monkeys" when you have members calling people names for haveing a different opinion, and engaging in behaviour that could be called B&H and get you sacked in the real world. Of course, we have others who think 1 set of people always act the same and denigrate that set based on nothing except their own assumptions and dislike of that group (basically racism in all but name)
People have a word with yourselves, this is getting tiresome.
HERE ARE THE RULES https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/rules.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; please try to follow them.
Is it any wonder we get called "Knuckle-dragging monkeys" when you have members calling people names for haveing a different opinion, and engaging in behaviour that could be called B&H and get you sacked in the real world. Of course, we have others who think 1 set of people always act the same and denigrate that set based on nothing except their own assumptions and dislike of that group (basically racism in all but name)
People have a word with yourselves, this is getting tiresome.
HERE ARE THE RULES https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/rules.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; please try to follow them.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
Been given notice after 11weeks
[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 01:16, edited 2 times in total.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Been given notice after 11weeks
At the risk of taking abuse I think the guy has a point, this forum seems to be more about virtue signalling (look at me I do the job properly) and abusing anyone who doesn't or even anyone who tries to understand the many reasons why people choose to work in the way they do.
I think one of the posts in this thread even suggests that colleagues should "hang their heads in shame". For f**k sake get a grip.
I'm not sure why that's particularly targeted at more senior posties because in my experience there's as many new starts jumping fences as the old guys and that's always been the case. I've been around a long time in this job and the truth is it wasn't better or easier in the old days it was just different with different problems. When I first started I had to work 60 hours a week to make a decent living wage, nobody really talks about how s**t the basic pay was or how our basic terms and conditions ( pension aside) have improved over the years.
Duties are longer now and there are more part-time duties but that isn't the fault of runners or senior posties it's because there's only a fraction of the indoor work we used to have.
As someone who has been a rep at unit and branch level for many years I can tell you that starting early and finishing early doesn't cost jobs if an office has a decent rep, if you're losing hours it's because they're not there to protect in the first place.
Of course if everybody in an office wants 20 hrs of overtime you won't ever be fully staffed but you can't have your cake and eat it.
I think one of the posts in this thread even suggests that colleagues should "hang their heads in shame". For f**k sake get a grip.
I'm not sure why that's particularly targeted at more senior posties because in my experience there's as many new starts jumping fences as the old guys and that's always been the case. I've been around a long time in this job and the truth is it wasn't better or easier in the old days it was just different with different problems. When I first started I had to work 60 hours a week to make a decent living wage, nobody really talks about how s**t the basic pay was or how our basic terms and conditions ( pension aside) have improved over the years.
Duties are longer now and there are more part-time duties but that isn't the fault of runners or senior posties it's because there's only a fraction of the indoor work we used to have.
As someone who has been a rep at unit and branch level for many years I can tell you that starting early and finishing early doesn't cost jobs if an office has a decent rep, if you're losing hours it's because they're not there to protect in the first place.
Of course if everybody in an office wants 20 hrs of overtime you won't ever be fully staffed but you can't have your cake and eat it.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12196
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Been given notice after 11weeks
Higher up aren't going to care that someone has started before their time, all they'll see will people finishing before their official time. They'll just add them hours up and make the DOMs remove them hours out of the officeWoody Guthrie wrote:As someone who has been a rep at unit and branch level for many years I can tell you that starting early and finishing early doesn't cost jobs if an office has a decent rep, if you're losing hours it's because they're not there to protect in the first place.
-
themailman
- Posts: 399
- Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Been given notice after 11weeks
With regards to new entrants being on probation and being scared (understandably) to rock the boat, I think they can and should be helped more by long serving staff. I've seen countless new starts being let go and not having their contract renewed simply for asking for their duty to be FULLY prepped and ready to tie down for them (which is what is supposed to happen) when they arrive in for their 5hr-ish shift.
Back when I started it was unheard of to be let go for not completing a run, now new entrants get treated shockingly bad and intimidated into just putting up and shutting up.
Back when I started it was unheard of to be let go for not completing a run, now new entrants get treated shockingly bad and intimidated into just putting up and shutting up.
-
Jahpostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 318
- Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
- Gender: Male
Been given notice after 11weeks
I've only been with RM for a few months and there is normally a bundle of mail to put into the frame and then the packets to sort before tying down. When I come in on my time we are always last out and last back. It seems that most full timers are pretty much out the door when I arrive and the part timers who have duties are not far behind because they always come in earlier for free to get ahead. To my mind all frames should be prepped before full timers start tying down their own round. The expectation is that you will come in early for free to do the work full timers should have done. I claim the overtime but would rather finish on time. I suspect there will come a point where I'll be moaned at for claiming too much overtime for working to my time.themailman wrote:With regards to new entrants being on probation and being scared (understandably) to rock the boat, I think they can and should be helped more by long serving staff. I've seen countless new starts being let go and not having their contract renewed simply for asking for their duty to be FULLY prepped and ready to tie down for them (which is what is supposed to happen) when they arrive in for their 5hr-ish shift.
Back when I started it was unheard of to be let go for not completing a run, now new entrants get treated shockingly bad and intimidated into just putting up and shutting up.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12196
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Been given notice after 11weeks
Which means the DOM doesn't have to increase the hours of part times and/or make some of them up to full timeJahpostie wrote:and the part timers who have duties are not far behind because they always come in earlier for free to get ahead.
-
slinder123
- Posts: 261
- Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 14:44
- Gender: Female
Been given notice after 11weeks
got to be the worst top management team in the country. run the business from there desks losing so much money because they are allowed to sit on there arses and shout orders down the phone or send emails. threatening this and that usual garbage to make it look like they earn there over weight pay packets. this is were the blame lies not local managers not postmen and woman looking at the way things have gone so far I have come to a conclusion we will never get anywere till the ceo gets them to go and see how the units work and that will never happen so just do your best and back you unit reps as you will one day need there help cwu forever
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Been given notice after 11weeks
Our DO is known to be competent as a whole and doing a good job with few complaints. Posties coming in early on a regular basis was enabling posties to finish earlier than duty time officially finishes. The finance director spotted this and started to demand forty hours out of the office budget. The manager of our DOM, who had commended us on being a good office, defended us and got the demands of the finance director repealed. The manager visited our office in person to apologise for the actions of the finance director. Shortly afterwards, coincidentally or not, there was a changeover of management and the manager that defended us was moved from his post. We are waiting to see what the position of the new manager will be on our office budget.Woody Guthrie wrote:At the risk of taking abuse I think the guy has a point, this forum seems to be more about virtue signalling (look at me I do the job properly) and abusing anyone who doesn't or even anyone who tries to understand the many reasons why people choose to work in the way they do.
I think one of the posts in this thread even suggests that colleagues should "hang their heads in shame". For f**k sake get a grip.
I'm not sure why that's particularly targeted at more senior posties because in my experience there's as many new starts jumping fences as the old guys and that's always been the case. I've been around a long time in this job and the truth is it wasn't better or easier in the old days it was just different with different problems. When I first started I had to work 60 hours a week to make a decent living wage, nobody really talks about how s**t the basic pay was or how our basic terms and conditions ( pension aside) have improved over the years.
Duties are longer now and there are more part-time duties but that isn't the fault of runners or senior posties it's because there's only a fraction of the indoor work we used to have.
As someone who has been a rep at unit and branch level for many years I can tell you that starting early and finishing early doesn't cost jobs if an office has a decent rep, if you're losing hours it's because they're not there to protect in the first place.
Of course if everybody in an office wants 20 hrs of overtime you won't ever be fully staffed but you can't have your cake and eat it.
In short if Postie's do come in early on a regular basis and finish earlier on a regular basis then they could well still be working their paid duty hours but at different times. The problem is that the PDA actuals will only give evidence that posties are finishing before end of duty time. Your union rep should be able to inform you that 'job & finish' ,once acceptable by RM, is no longer possible to do within RM with consequences. Once someone higher up in RM spots this in your DO the local union rep will likely not be able to defend your office against any loss of hours from your office budget.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Jahpostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 318
- Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
- Gender: Male
Been given notice after 11weeks
As a part timer I have no idea what the full responsibilities of a full timer are. Should all frames be fully populated by full timers before a part timer starts? Also, should the packets also be up on the frame for the part timers before they start? Is this the supposed planned scenario? Or is it just meant to be the letters?