I’ve tried contacting HMRC a couple of times now but keep getting told they’re too busy to answer calls and get cut off
Am off in the morning though so will try as soon as they open at 8am.
What has me baffled though is I understand why I was put on emergency tax initially as they’d have been waiting for my paperwork. Then it changed to what was the correct tax code (pre updated personal allowance as it was the last pay before the end of the tax year) but then why change it to the Welsh 20% flat rate (for second job) when it’s my only job. Makes no sense and can only assume there’s been a balls up at the start of the new financial year. Fingers crossed they get it sorted. Definitely due a couple of hundred my way. I got taxed £100 this week...
wacko74 wrote:I really don't understand tax codes, how come mine has changed on my last 2 payslips...
5/4/19 - C1254L/O
12/4/19 - 1189L/O
Do either of them sound right?
I am on the emergency tax code too, 0T/0, I have called the HMRC and they've said that they will contact the employer to get the right tax code, this week I was paid and it was the same code.
Anyway if you call the HMRC try and call in the morning or when most of the people are at work as you will get through in less than 20 minutes.
So you're saying one (or both) of them are emergency tax codes?
What tax code should I be on be on? On 30 hours, no other job, single, no dependants, no tax credits or other benefits
Most people will be 1250L. In other words first £12500 tax free. If you claim for uniform cleaning the first £12620 tax free. Tax code is then 1262L. Above link explains.
Most people will be 1250L. In other words first £12500 tax free. If you claim for uniform cleaning the first £12620 tax free. Tax code is then 1262L. Above link explains.
Thanks for that, so the numbers refer directly to the amount you can earn tax free.
I'm basically paying about £30 per week income tax on a flat 30 hour week, or about £50 tax per week when I do about 44 hours (14 hours overtime)
Do those figures sound right?
(It feels a lot to me, especially with another £44 N.I. on the higher figure!)
Just an update. Finally managed to get through to them this morning. They couldn’t explain what had happened but have now adjusted my tax code to the correct one including the laundry element.
For anyone in the same boat, they have informed me that for the excess tax I’ve paid for this tax year (from 6th April) I will receive my refund through my wages as soon as RM receive my new tax code. However for the excess I’ve paid between February when I started up to beginning of April I will have to wait for my P800 to arrive and then claim it back. She said they start processing them at the end of April but I know this can take months so will just have to wait it out.
I've had a similar issue, my tax code has changed to 108T/0, they've removed RM as an employer and my old employer is listed which is absurd as all the info was sent to them when I left that job.
What's more, they believe I'll be earning £36k this tax year and so estimate I'll be taxed just short of £5k. I was paying £35 ish a week tax, now gone up to £80 a week. Trying to get in touch with them.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
Sounds very similar to my scenario! Reckon someone’s made a balls up somewhere. They’re a pain in the backside to get in touch with unfortunately! If you can, try calling early, that’s when I finally managed to get hold of them.
misstmac wrote:Sounds very similar to my scenario! Reckon someone’s made a balls up somewhere. They’re a pain in the backside to get in touch with unfortunately! If you can, try calling early, that’s when I finally managed to get hold of them.
Thanks for that, ended up using the chat bot and getting through to an online advisor. That was at 4pm Saturday if it's any use to anyone else struggling to get through.
They changed my tax code to 1250L, had to ask twice then they eventually changed it to 1262L. Removed my old employer (why he was still on there when I submitted all the relevant documents when I quit I don't know) and told I should get a refund within a few weeks.
Happy days :-)
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
HTPostman wrote:They changed my tax code to 1250L, had to ask twice then they eventually changed it to 1262L. Removed my old employer (why he was still on there when I submitted all the relevant documents when I quit I don't know) and told I should get a refund within a few weeks.
Happy days :-)
I changed my tax code a week ago through their chat bot.... didn't get applied to this weeks pay....pffft!
I didn’t get mine in last pay either. I can only assume that due to the two bank hols the info didn’t get to RM payroll in time. Fingers crossed it’s sorted in this weeks pay.