ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How to get faster

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by norris9 »

GlassDoor wrote:Have your parcel ready, get to the door, knock and ring bell, then scan parcel, get P739 card, keep looking through door for movement and listen more someone moving about, start writing out card if nothing, by time the cad is written out property, post this along with any mail. Put parcel back in bag and carry on to next door.
I think I probably could save a fair few seconds at the door. I tend to take time to get organised before ringing the bell by checking the letters, checking some parcels all over to see if there is anything to scan, checking incase there are other parcels in the bag that may be for this house....then I'll ring the doorbell. For signed-fors I have been asking for surnames. I think instead I can get away with typing in the surname that's on the parcel.

I also do a lot of OCD things like double check I have the right post and double check the number on the house.


For the most part - I think what slows me down most is not knowing the roads/houses. For those Postie's that have done a route for a few weeks or months and especially years - they know the numbers of each house on their routes without even looking. Whereas I have to check each house and if there is no number on a house then I have to go along to the next house, or maybe even the one after to work out the house number. As well as all this, it also pays to know where the front door is, where the gate latch is, where the letterbox is. All these things can lead to hesitation.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by joewyan »

GlassDoor wrote:As soon as you scan the item thats when the GPS coordinates are captured, so when you submit them it uploads the coordinates of where you scanned the item, not where you hit the submit button. Unless im wrong on that point
I think you are wrong but anyone can feel free to correct me.
Gasman11
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Gasman11 »

Going faster = increased likelihood of making more mistakes, exerting more stress upon your body and mind and as you finish earlier and earlier, opening yourself up to lapsing on a regular basis. More work for the same wage.

Doing the job in a composed, orderly fashion = more clarity of thought, providing a better service, more likely to engage with your customers meaning increased satisfaction levels, the likelihood that you will complete around your designated finishing time every day and put you in a stronger position to argue your case on the days when lapsing is proposed.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by rambo1 »

You don't say why you want to get quicker? Are you coming under pressure from manager or your working partner? If you feel your pace is ok, it's ok. Slower you are, more you get paid , obviously within reason, you gotta be minimum standards. Just chill. It's a long haul not a sprint. You will get no thanks for making mistakes.
GlassDoor
Posts: 57
Joined: 01 Mar 2018, 07:52
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by GlassDoor »

norris9 wrote:
GlassDoor wrote:Have your parcel ready, get to the door, knock and ring bell, then scan parcel, get P739 card, keep looking through door for movement and listen more someone moving about, start writing out card if nothing, by time the cad is written out property, post this along with any mail. Put parcel back in bag and carry on to next door.
I think I probably could save a fair few seconds at the door. I tend to take time to get organised before ringing the bell by checking the letters, checking some parcels all over to see if there is anything to scan, checking incase there are other parcels in the bag that may be for this house....then I'll ring the doorbell. For signed-fors I have been asking for surnames. I think instead I can get away with typing in the surname that's on the parcel.

I also do a lot of OCD things like double check I have the right post and double check the number on the house.


For the most part - I think what slows me down most is not knowing the roads/houses. For those Postie's that have done a route for a few weeks or months and especially years - they know the numbers of each house on their routes without even looking. Whereas I have to check each house and if there is no number on a house then I have to go along to the next house, or maybe even the one after to work out the house number. As well as all this, it also pays to know where the front door is, where the gate latch is, where the letterbox is. All these things can lead to hesitation.
Always ask the surname regardless of whether its signed for or not.

another example that i had of why to do this, twice i have had parcels for an address, ive asked their name and it didnt match. Turns out the parcels were wrongly addressed, the door number was wrong in both instances, but the person i was speaking to knew which door it was actually for.

So always check surname on parcel with person at the door.

Ice been in a year now, not had any major issue except posting a parcel through the wrong door once, and it was located through the GPS coordinates.

Im faster than some, not as fast as others, everyone is different.

Just take your time and do it right, you will speed up as time goes.

I was losing time putting mail through he actual letterbox, ive now gotten faster at that and it has made me more efficient overall.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3730
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by yellowbelly »

Norris - if you're concerned by some of the practices you've observed and feel pressurised to follow them,
just consider (and some people might say what a load of cobblers but it's your job that could be on the line) what RM Business Standards say
and for me the first bullet point normally makes my decision:

Questions to consider if you are faced with a dilemma or you’re not sure what to do, ask yourself these questions:
• Does it feel right?
• Is it legal?
• Is it in line with our business standards, values and company policies?
• Will it reflect negatively on me or Royal Mail Group?
• Would I be happy to defend my decision in public?
• Who else could be affected by this (for example,
colleagues or customers)?
• Would I be concerned if others knew I’d taken this course of action?
• Is there a better action I could take?
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by Brandy »

A pair of rollerskates,that should do the trick! :crazy:
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Celgar »

norris9 wrote:
GlassDoor wrote:Have your parcel ready, get to the door, knock and ring bell, then scan parcel, get P739 card, keep looking through door for movement and listen more someone moving about, start writing out card if nothing, by time the cad is written out property, post this along with any mail. Put parcel back in bag and carry on to next door.
I think I probably could save a fair few seconds at the door. I tend to take time to get organised before ringing the bell by checking the letters, checking some parcels all over to see if there is anything to scan, checking incase there are other parcels in the bag that may be for this house....then I'll ring the doorbell. For signed-fors I have been asking for surnames. I think instead I can get away with typing in the surname that's on the parcel.

I also do a lot of OCD things like double check I have the right post and double check the number on the house.


For the most part - I think what slows me down most is not knowing the roads/houses. For those Postie's that have done a route for a few weeks or months and especially years - they know the numbers of each house on their routes without even looking. Whereas I have to check each house and if there is no number on a house then I have to go along to the next house, or maybe even the one after to work out the house number. As well as all this, it also pays to know where the front door is, where the gate latch is, where the letterbox is. All these things can lead to hesitation.
You should have had two days training on any new walk you have to do so then is the best time to make notes of any really obscure delivery points, dangerous animals, route directions etc. Apparently there is a rule that new starters have to stay on the same walk for the first six months. I have seen this happen in our DO in the past but mostly it doesn't happen.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Celgar »

joewyan wrote:
GlassDoor wrote:As soon as you scan the item thats when the GPS coordinates are captured, so when you submit them it uploads the coordinates of where you scanned the item, not where you hit the submit button. Unless im wrong on that point
I think you are wrong but anyone can feel free to correct me.
It's on the submit button that the GPS coordinates are registered and not when you initially scan items.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Sledge4211 »

How to get faster? - simple “Lucozade Energy” ;-)
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Tinoblade »

Just seemed to come in time for me! You just learn how to handle the bundles better for example while retrieving a parcel from your bag. Then should little things like You know which gates open which way and where the latch is if your on the same walk for a while. It just clicks eventually
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by norris9 »

Celgar wrote:You should have had two days training on any new walk you have to do so then is the best time to make notes of any really obscure delivery points, dangerous animals, route directions etc. Apparently there is a rule that new starters have to stay on the same walk for the first six months. I have seen this happen in our DO in the past but mostly it doesn't happen.
Interesting.

I had no training on this walk. Was just thrown straight into it, had to navigate it myself. It wasn't too bad to navigate, but making sure I was going the right way and to the right houses slowed me down for sure.

And I definitely have not been on the same walk.... I have been on 3 different walks in 3 weeks. So much for being on same walk for first 6 months. (I believe I was told at interview I would be on the same walk for the first 6 weeks).....hmm ok.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

norris9 wrote:It's unbelievable that I am getting the correct training from an unofficial forum and incorrect training from RM.
There's barely any training on the job these days, at least in our office. It's very much Learning by Doing. The newbies in our office learn from the buddy they're paired with, if that buddy is a veteran of course.

And if hasn't been mentioned before, then there's this: Try not to do any "deadwalking." If you've got a missorted letter or parcel that's for a house just a couple of doors or less that you passed by earlier, then sure, just skip back and deliver it. But any missed letters/parcels that are more than a few properties back on the loop, then mark "M/S" on them and bring them back to the office for the next day's delivery. (The exception would be Specials, Tracked, etc., which need to be delivered.) Deadwalking costs valuable time, so keeping it to a minimum is helpful.

Deadwalking:
Deadwalking.jpg
As I mentioned before, scanning a coded item while walking saves time too - but don't hit Submit until you're at the door. You'll learn this from all the experienced posties. You can even hear their PDAs beeping in the distance as they walk their loops. :Very Happy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PostmanBitesDog on 20 Apr 2019, 15:21, edited 2 times in total.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

How to get faster

Post by clashcityrocker »

Celgar wrote: You should have had two days training on any new walk you have to do
Ha Ha Bonk.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by norris9 »

PostmanBitesDog wrote:But any missed letters/parcels that are more than a few properties back on the loop, then mark "M/S" on them and bring them back to the office for the next day's delivery.
Cheers. Haven't been told about putting M/S on things....

I sometimes bring back post as I am unsure which property it is/where it is.... These are most commonly houses/flats with A or B in them, ie. 54A, 54B. I was on a walk down a fairly posh area the other day and there were A and B properties with post and I couldn't see any. No idea where they were. So bought them back....

Am I supposed to write anything on the letters for homes I could not find?...