ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How to get faster

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Postie45 »

norris9 wrote:I think an external store or electric/gas cupboard found outside the front of some homes is quite safe.... the parcel is hidden from view, it's safe from the weather. It's not guaranteed to be 100% safe, but I think it's more or less one of the best 'safe places' you can find.
its not safe, we`ve been told not to leave anything in unlocked cupboard.
1. Will the manager agree that the safe place you chose was acceptable and just advise not to leave any parcels in these cupboards in future.
no chance, theyd have to make a note that your decision was acceptable on a form, why would they accept responsibility for your actions ?
2. Will it be seen by management as a total balls up by you and something you should not be doing at all and a black mark will go against your name.
at the very least this
3. Will you be sacked on the spot.
theres no such thing as "sacked on the spot" in Royal Mail, if deemed serious enough you would be suspended while the case is investigated. Depending on how recently you have been warned to not leave items or if its happened before then sacking is a real possibility.
Marshamp11
Posts: 437
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Marshamp11 »

norris9 wrote:I think an external store or electric/gas cupboard found outside the front of some homes is quite safe.... the parcel is hidden from view, it's safe from the weather. It's not guaranteed to be 100% safe, but I think it's more or less one of the best 'safe places' you can find.

Say the customer phones up and says it's not in the cupboard.... it's been stolen.

What happens... does it depend on the manager? or is there a set RM disciplinary procedure to follow?

1. Will the manager agree that the safe place you chose was acceptable and just advise not to leave any parcels in these cupboards in future.

2. Will it be seen by management as a total balls up by you and something you should not be doing at all and a black mark will go against your name.

3. Will you be sacked on the spot.
Anywhere between 2 & 3. In my 30+ years experience in the job RM will always take the route of pinning any blame for any incident squarely on the posties shoulders.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

norris9 wrote:I think my walking pace is ok.... but I want to try to be quicker in other ways...
One colleague told me that as he has a designated round which he has done for years and knows his customers, he knows where to place packets and he doesn't bother to PDA them as 'left in safe place' which saves him time taking a photo and typing the location into the PDA. He just clicks delivered... is this typically what those that have been on a set round for a long time tend to do?
norris9, you've just reminded me that I wanted to have a chat with my line manager some time soon about the Safe Place photo option on our PDAs, particularly why none of the posties in our delivery office ever use it. I've been using the option for a while now, so long as the Safe Place option is not crossed out in red on the PDA screen and if the location at the customer's address is secure enough. I'm aware that the excuse the posties at our office use for not taking a photo comes down to time saving, but at the end of the day it's safeguarding a more honest and efficient delivery service.
Last edited by PostmanBitesDog on 19 Apr 2019, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by norris9 »

Postie45 wrote:Will the manager agree that the safe place you chose was acceptable and just advise not to leave any parcels in these cupboards in future.

no chance, theyd have to make a note that your decision was acceptable on a form, why would they accept responsibility for your actions ?
This is ridiculous if true....

Actually - yes - managers should take responsibility, why the hell are their Posties, 100% of them, all four of them I have been put with - all telling me it's fine to leave parcels in these places!!! ok, one of them told me it's up to me, I don't have to leave in a 'safe place', but while out with him he was putting things under recycling crates, in external cupboards, in back gardens.

Is it not the responsibility of the manager to make sure the person training any newbies is up to scratch and training them correctly?
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by norris9 »

PostmanBitesDog wrote:norris9, you've just reminded me that I wanted to have a chat with my line manager some time soon about the Safe Place photo option on our PDAs, particularly why none of the posties in our delivery office ever use it. I've been using the option for a while now, so long as the Safe Place option is not crossed out in red on the PDA screen and if the location at the customer's address is secure enough. I'm aware that the excuse the posties at our office use for not taking a photo comes down to time saving, but at the end of the day it's safeguarding a more secure and efficient delivery service.
It's all a mess in my eyes.

If all these Posties are running wild, not playing by the rules, training newbies wrong, setting a bad example.... and management are turning a blind eye to it, or unaware of it - then management can't be doing their job properly.

It doesn't take much to set out some strict guidelines...but maybe they don't because turning a blind eye to all the short-cutting is of benefit to them as postie's are quicker and more gets done.

It seems like a lose-lose situation. If you can't beat them - join them. ie. If you're 'slow' and getting agro from a fellow postie then you are pressured into joining them in taking all the dodgy shortcuts.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Postie45 »

norris9 wrote: This is ridiculous if true....

Actually - yes - managers should take responsibility, why the hell are their Posties, 100% of them, all four of them I have been put with - all telling me it's fine to leave parcels in these places!!! ok, one of them told me it's up to me, I don't have to leave in a 'safe place', but while out with him he was putting things under recycling crates, in external cupboards, in back gardens.
i bet all of those posties know the actual rules, but a lot of posties feel rules dont apply to them so long as they havent been caught theyll carry on so they can make time.
Is it not the responsibility of the manager to make sure the person training any newbies is up to scratch and training them correctly?
Ok, seeing as youre so interested in this, Im going to make this REAL easy for you, go ask your manager tomorrow morning if you should leave parcels unattended after being advised to do so by your training partners, and see what they say.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

norris9 wrote:
PostmanBitesDog wrote:norris9, you've just reminded me that I wanted to have a chat with my line manager some time soon about the Safe Place photo option on our PDAs, particularly why none of the posties in our delivery office ever use it. I've been using the option for a while now, so long as the Safe Place option is not crossed out in red on the PDA screen and if the location at the customer's address is secure enough. I'm aware that the excuse the posties at our office use for not taking a photo comes down to time saving, but at the end of the day it's safeguarding a more secure and efficient delivery service.
It's all a mess in my eyes.

If all these Posties are running wild, not playing by the rules, training newbies wrong, setting a bad example.... and management are turning a blind eye to it, or unaware of it - then management can't be doing their job properly.

It doesn't take much to set out some strict guidelines...but maybe they don't because turning a blind eye to all the short-cutting is of benefit to them as postie's are quicker and more gets done.

It seems like a lose-lose situation. If you can't beat them - join them. ie. If you're 'slow' and getting agro from a fellow postie then you are pressured into joining them in taking all the dodgy shortcuts.
Yep, like all newbies I experienced the same when I started. And I would often question how the veteran posties I was partnered with managed to walk casually down the street as if they're slower than molasses and still finish quickly. And then there's the posties who sit in the van playing with their phones while I'm still racing through the neighborhood breaking a sweat. Humiliating.

But after a few weeks the speed picks up and now I'm helping my partners deliver the mail by splitting their bundles and sharing the loop after I've finished ahead of them (and after I've already filled up my pouch in the van for my next loop). It's just a matter of time and experience on the job.

So ignore the bullies. I did. When it comes to Signed Fors or large parcels, don't wait more than twenty seconds for an answer at the door. And at the same time while waiting, start filling out a P739 card. That'll save time. If they do answer and you've already filled out the card, bin it responsibly. If they don't answer, then you've saved valuable seconds on the walk. And safe places are really down to your own discretion. Obviously if it's secure, such as a bin or box around the back of the property in a safe neighborhood, then you'll be fine. Check that "Safe Place" isn't crossed out on the PDA. With the P739 card, there's no need to fill out all the details when you're leaving a parcel in a safe place. Some posties would only write on the Safe Place location line something like: "In your shed." Nothing else. I like to add the customer's name, the date, and the first line of the address. That should be enough.

If you don't feel comfortable with leaving an item in a safe place, then bring it back. Slip the card with the full details of course. I've been told by a few posties I was with that bringing too many items back to the office is a burden. I'm not sure what exactly is burdensome about it other than the fact that the customers have to go out of their way to travel to the delivery office to pick up the item, or call in to arrange a re-delivery.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by norris9 »

PostmanBitesDog wrote:
norris9 wrote:
PostmanBitesDog wrote:norris9, you've just reminded me that I wanted to have a chat with my line manager some time soon about the Safe Place photo option on our PDAs, particularly why none of the posties in our delivery office ever use it. I've been using the option for a while now, so long as the Safe Place option is not crossed out in red on the PDA screen and if the location at the customer's address is secure enough. I'm aware that the excuse the posties at our office use for not taking a photo comes down to time saving, but at the end of the day it's safeguarding a more secure and efficient delivery service.
It's all a mess in my eyes.

If all these Posties are running wild, not playing by the rules, training newbies wrong, setting a bad example.... and management are turning a blind eye to it, or unaware of it - then management can't be doing their job properly.

It doesn't take much to set out some strict guidelines...but maybe they don't because turning a blind eye to all the short-cutting is of benefit to them as postie's are quicker and more gets done.

It seems like a lose-lose situation. If you can't beat them - join them. ie. If you're 'slow' and getting agro from a fellow postie then you are pressured into joining them in taking all the dodgy shortcuts.
Yep, like all newbies I experienced the same when I started. And I would often question how the veteran posties I was partnered with managed to walk casually down the street as if they're slower than molasses and still finish quickly. And then there's the posties who sit in the van playing with their phones while I'm still racing through the neighborhood breaking a sweat. Humiliating.

But after a few weeks the speed picks up and now I'm helping my partners deliver the mail by splitting their bundles and sharing the loop after I've finished ahead of them (and after I've already filled up my pouch in the van for my next loop). It's just a matter of time and experience on the job.

So ignore the bullies. I did. When it comes to Signed Fors or large parcels, don't wait more than twenty seconds for an answer at the door. And at the same time while waiting, start filling out a P739 card. That'll save time. If they do answer and you've already filled out the card, bin it responsibly. If they don't answer, then you've saved valuable seconds on the walk. And safe places are really down to your own discretion. Obviously if it's secure, such as a bin or box around the back of the property in a safe neighborhood, then you'll be fine. Check that "Safe Place" isn't crossed out on the PDA. With the P739 card, there's no need to fill out all the details when you're leaving a parcel in a safe place. Some posties would only write on the Safe Place location line something like: "In your shed." Nothing else. I like to add the customer's name, the date, and the first line of the address. That should be enough.

If you don't feel comfortable with leaving an item in a safe place, then bring it back. Slip the card with the full details of course. I've been told by a few posties I was with that bringing too many items back to the office is a burden. I'm not sure what exactly is burdensome about it other than the fact that the customers have to go out of their way to travel to the delivery office to pick up the item, or call in to arrange a re-delivery.
You give some great advice, thanks.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

norris9 wrote:
PostmanBitesDog wrote:
norris9 wrote:
PostmanBitesDog wrote:
You give some great advice, thanks.
Just a couple of other things, norris9, which maybe pretty obvious but worth a mention:

Save walking time by not having to go up and down driveways when there's a shortcut between properties. In other words, if properties are not separated by a fence or wall, just stroll between them. Obviously you don't want to be walking across a well-manicured lawn or tendered garden.

And you probably already do this, but there's no need to fill your pouch with any parcels where the address is close to the van. This is especially helpful when you don't need to sling a heavy pouch over your shoulder. Deliver your letters first, then return to the van and grab the parcel(s) out of it and head over to the address that's nearby. The partners I work with are happy when we agree on whoever returns to the vehicle first has the honor of grabbing the parcel(s) and walking to the nearby property. What this all means is that the weight of the pouch is lighter and helps speed the walking time.

And carrying only a bundle or two of letters (and maybe a small parcel if you're good at juggling) without the pouch feels so much faster. A lighter load helps speed the day up. But that's only the loops where there's not much to deliver.

Scan any QR or barcodes that need to be scanned as you walk to the address, no need to do the scanning when you have stopped at the door. Of course, don't tap the Submit button until you know what option to choose ("No Answer", "Delivered", etc.).

And try to never use small rubber bands wrapped around the bundles. They're a pain when you pull out the letters - they cut into them or just hold the bundles too tight. Larger rubber bands are better.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by joewyan »

norris9 wrote:
joewyan wrote:It’s just common sense at the end of the day. I just think how I would feel if it was my parcel etc. For example when Yodel deliver to me and throw breakable items over the gate. Some posties would say it’s ok to do that but it doesn’t mean I would do it!
At the end of the day you do whatever you feel happy doing but be prepared to accept the consequences if you do.
Once you have your own round in years to come then you’ll get to know your customers and some may tell you “safe” places to leave things but unless you get it in writing then it’s still your word against theirs if they were to complain a parcel went missing.

So your view towards it is - leave it in a sensible place, but deal with the consequences if the parcel goes missing.

How about - avoid the consequences altogether and docket it and bring it back to the depot. That seems like the common sense option.


I think Postie's probably prefer to take the risk of leaving a parcel because it's quicker and they can get back home to watch countdown.
I don’t think you read my replies at all, I have clearly said not to leave anything safe in a previous reply, in this one I said make “your” own judgement but accept what happens if you get reported. I said the 3 options are:
1. Give to person inside the address.
2. Leave with neighbour and card accordingly. (Not special or international signed)
3. Return to depot and leave P739.

Those are the rules, you can leave a tracked item with safe place instructions on the item BUT only do so if you are happy to leave there, if not then treat as any other parcel and leave with neighbour or return to depot.

Don’t worry about what other posties do, that’s their choice and it will backfire on them one day. Just do your job to the rules and you’ll be fine regardless of how long it takes.
Caesar
Posts: 234
Joined: 22 Nov 2018, 12:23
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Caesar »

norris9, as a fellow newbie I've found using a PDA holder helps, plus you've got somewhere to keep your pen.
I'm on the same walk for the next couple of weeks so I pre fill in my P739 cards with the year, the first part of the postcode, my initials and the duty number.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by norris9 »

joewyan wrote:
norris9 wrote:
joewyan wrote:It’s just common sense at the end of the day. I just think how I would feel if it was my parcel etc. For example when Yodel deliver to me and throw breakable items over the gate. Some posties would say it’s ok to do that but it doesn’t mean I would do it!
At the end of the day you do whatever you feel happy doing but be prepared to accept the consequences if you do.
Once you have your own round in years to come then you’ll get to know your customers and some may tell you “safe” places to leave things but unless you get it in writing then it’s still your word against theirs if they were to complain a parcel went missing.

So your view towards it is - leave it in a sensible place, but deal with the consequences if the parcel goes missing.

How about - avoid the consequences altogether and docket it and bring it back to the depot. That seems like the common sense option.


I think Postie's probably prefer to take the risk of leaving a parcel because it's quicker and they can get back home to watch countdown.
I don’t think you read my replies at all, I have clearly said not to leave anything safe in a previous reply, in this one I said make “your” own judgement but accept what happens if you get reported. I said the 3 options are:
1. Give to person inside the address.
2. Leave with neighbour and card accordingly. (Not special or international signed)
3. Return to depot and leave P739.

Those are the rules, you can leave a tracked item with safe place instructions on the item BUT only do so if you are happy to leave there, if not then treat as any other parcel and leave with neighbour or return to depot.

Don’t worry about what other posties do, that’s their choice and it will backfire on them one day. Just do your job to the rules and you’ll be fine regardless of how long it takes.

No worries, man. cheers.

I will try to avoid leaving anything.

I won't be surprised if one of the parcels I left the other day has received a complaint. Hopefully I have got away with it.

As long as I have got away with those and don't get dismissed, then I'll be going docket crazy from now on + likely telling a lot of Postie's who moan about me being slow to p!ss off.


It's unbelievable that I am getting the correct training from an unofficial forum and incorrect training from RM.
GlassDoor
Posts: 57
Joined: 01 Mar 2018, 07:52
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by GlassDoor »

one bit of advice is DONT SCAN as your walking to the property to save a few seconds, scan when you reach the door.

I was sent to another delivery office and one of the customers said that they didnt receive their parcel.

Manager check the pda data and it this showed that the parcel was scanned right at thier door.

when you scan a parcel it uploads the GPS coordinates of where you scanned it, if you scan this on the street, there will be no evidence that you were at the customers door.

Have your parcel ready, get to the door, knock and ring bell, then scan parcel, get P739 card, keep looking through door for movement and listen more someone moving about, start writing out card if nothing, by time the cad is written out property, post this along with any mail. Put parcel back in bag and carry on to next door.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by joewyan »

GlassDoor wrote:one bit of advice is DONT SCAN as your walking to the property to save a few seconds, scan when you reach the door.

I was sent to another delivery office and one of the customers said that they didnt receive their parcel.

Manager check the pda data and it this showed that the parcel was scanned right at thier door.

when you scan a parcel it uploads the GPS coordinates of where you scanned it, if you scan this on the street, there will be no evidence that you were at the customers door.

Have your parcel ready, get to the door, knock and ring bell, then scan parcel, get P739 card, keep looking through door for movement and listen more someone moving about, start writing out card if nothing, by time the cad is written out property, post this along with any mail. Put parcel back in bag and carry on to next door.
It’s fine to scan it before you get to the door BUT as the poster who suggested doing that said, don’t press submit until you are at the door as that is when the GPS data gets sent.
GlassDoor
Posts: 57
Joined: 01 Mar 2018, 07:52
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by GlassDoor »

joewyan wrote:
GlassDoor wrote:one bit of advice is DONT SCAN as your walking to the property to save a few seconds, scan when you reach the door.

I was sent to another delivery office and one of the customers said that they didnt receive their parcel.

Manager check the pda data and it this showed that the parcel was scanned right at thier door.

when you scan a parcel it uploads the GPS coordinates of where you scanned it, if you scan this on the street, there will be no evidence that you were at the customers door.

Have your parcel ready, get to the door, knock and ring bell, then scan parcel, get P739 card, keep looking through door for movement and listen more someone moving about, start writing out card if nothing, by time the cad is written out property, post this along with any mail. Put parcel back in bag and carry on to next door.
It’s fine to scan it before you get to the door BUT as the poster who suggested doing that said, don’t press submit until you are at the door as that is when the GPS data gets sent.
As soon as you scan the item thats when the GPS coordinates are captured, so when you submit them it uploads the coordinates of where you scanned the item, not where you hit the submit button. Unless im wrong on that point