ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How to get faster
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
How to get faster
I'm afraid to say it but the 3 colleagues you've been working with are chancers and charlatans. Doorstepping and stashing parcels in hidey-holes is forbidden. Certain Tracked Parcels are exempt but even then if you feel members of the public could get access to the porch or garage safe-place. . . then it's not really a Safeplace at all... is it ?
No doubt your colleagues mean well, but they are not following correct procedure. It's a while since I did my basic training but I'm sure there were print-outs on how and how-not to do the job. Doorstepping was expressly forbidden !
No doubt your colleagues mean well, but they are not following correct procedure. It's a while since I did my basic training but I'm sure there were print-outs on how and how-not to do the job. Doorstepping was expressly forbidden !
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
How to get faster
Off topic see you later
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
How to get faster
Decky Boy wrote:I'm afraid to say it but the 3 colleagues you've been working with are chancers and charlatans. Doorstepping and stashing parcels in hidey-holes is forbidden. Certain Tracked Parcels are exempt but even then if you feel members of the public could get access to the porch or garage safe-place. . . then it's not really a Safeplace at all... is it ?
No doubt your colleagues mean well, but they are not following correct procedure. It's a while since I did my basic training but I'm sure there were print-outs on how and how-not to do the job. Doorstepping was expressly forbidden !
Yes, it all makes a lot of sense. Makes me feel like an idiot for leaving parcels in these 'safe places'. These 3 guys I have been put with have taught me wrong. They should have been telling me NOT to leave anything out in accessible places, unless stated on the package.
I definitely left 2 or 3 packages in stupid places the other day. 2 behind bins - which could still be seen if someone walked up to the door, and much worse than that, I placed a packet behind a pile of cardboard outside the front of a house....hopefully it doesn't end up being accidently recycled. I feel like an idiot for doing that. A mix of being encouraged to leave packets and being pressured to be quick - for sure fogged my mind.
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
How to get faster
My oh my, I meant for him to write down on the pda the name written on the parcel if it needs a signature.Decky Boy wrote:My oh my oh my. Why would you write names on parcels ? Or advise a new start to do so ? This is WRONG ... and not SOP.Janet Brum wrote:
Write down the name on the parcels, that saves time.
Whoever signs for it lives at that address, the pda scan is proof that you delivered, end of.
Don`t waste your time asking about names or even more time having to spell that name etc.
Never heard about that anyway, whoever is on the parcel, gets put in the pda.
And to suggest asking about names wastes time is also WRONG. Who coached or trained you ? Cut corners and you cut hours out of offices. Your advice is crazy
I thought that was clear for any postie?
I would never ask for a name from whoever opens the door, if they live in that house, they can have the parcel, it`s clearly not a stranger?
I don`t cut corners, I use my logic. And I definately don`t rush, ever.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
How to get faster
Don't get yourself stressed out about whether or not you are quick enough at doing the job. It will take time to learn the walks you deliver and eventually you will get more knowledge and experience and become faster.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
How to get faster
Why do they need to make it clear? Have they ever told you (the company not the posties) that you CAN leave a parcel somewhere?norris9 wrote:ok, maybe these ones I did the other day will come back to bite me. I will start fresh....only leaving parcels in a safe place if stated on the parcel.Decky Boy wrote:You must not leave other mail items under buckets or in porches UNLESS the customer provides a written and signed letter authorising irregular delivery methods. I always make a copy which I give to the gaffer and keep the original in my own file at home.
Maybe one of these countless forms or PDF's they give you when you start working for RM states the protocol for this.....but I do not remember reading about it. I am not sure I have been told anything official about this.
On my weeks worth of training I was told by my colleague/trainer that it was up to me if I wanted to leave a parcel in a safe place or not. He would put parcels in back gardens, under recycling crates etc... then the next guy I was put with told me to put parcels in a porch on one property and there is a pub with an unlocked side gate which leads up to a door and he told me to leave the parcels on the front door mat. Then the next guy I got put with said to me in a nicer residential area that I can "leave parcels out as it's safe".
So all 3 Postie's I have been put with so far freely place parcels in 'safe places' that they themselves determine as safe.
If you are not mean't to do this.....why don't Royal Mail make it crystal clear!!!! DO NOT DO IT! Then surely nobody would do it....
It seems to me that they are fine with you doing it, until it goes wrong.
If you want to keep your job then don’t risk it. A parcel is left safe if:
1. in the hands of someone in the house
2. With a neighbour and carded accordingly.
3. Back at the depot after leaving a P739.
Don’t worry about being faster, worry about doing the job properly to keep the mail safe and therefore your job safe.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
How to get faster
To be fair depending on how new the postie is to the job and the poor training given at times its possible hes never been told this. I can guarantee though i have been told it crystal clear at many work time learning sessions over the years to "DO NOT DO IT!" yet some people at my office still do it.joewyan wrote:Why do they need to make it clear? Have they ever told you (the company not the posties) that you CAN leave a parcel somewhere?norris9 wrote: If you are not mean't to do this.....why don't Royal Mail make it crystal clear!!!! DO NOT DO IT! Then surely nobody would do it....
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
How to get faster
joewyan wrote:Why do they need to make it clear? Have they ever told you (the company not the posties) that you CAN leave a parcel somewhere?
If you want to keep your job then don’t risk it. A parcel is left safe if:
1. in the hands of someone in the house
2. With a neighbour and carded accordingly.
3. Back at the depot after leaving a P739.
Don’t worry about being faster, worry about doing the job properly to keep the mail safe and therefore your job safe.
Ironically, I'm not sure your comments are clear.
"Why do they need to make it clear?" - what do you mean? of course they need to make it clear, why would you want it to be unclear?. The managers have said practically nothing to me since day 1, they just greet me and tell me which Postie I am with. They obviously expect their Postie's to train me properly and put trust in them to do so. Obviously the protocol for this isn't clear, or isn't being followed when 4 out of 4 Postie's I have been out on a round with are leaving parcels in 'safe places' as deemed by them.
"Have they ever told you (the company not the posties) that you CAN leave a parcel somewhere? If you want to keep your job then don’t risk it."
Maybe you haven't explained this clearly, but this is effing ridiculous if true. They tell you that you can leave a parcel somewhere - but you might lose your job if it goes wrong? WTF! How can a manager say it's ok to do something which they will happily sack you for.
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
How to get faster
It’s just common sense at the end of the day. I just think how I would feel if it was my parcel etc. For example when Yodel deliver to me and throw breakable items over the gate. Some posties would say it’s ok to do that but it doesn’t mean I would do it!
At the end of the day you do whatever you feel happy doing but be prepared to accept the consequences if you do.
Once you have your own round in years to come then you’ll get to know your customers and some may tell you “safe” places to leave things but unless you get it in writing then it’s still your word against theirs if they were to complain a parcel went missing.
At the end of the day you do whatever you feel happy doing but be prepared to accept the consequences if you do.
Once you have your own round in years to come then you’ll get to know your customers and some may tell you “safe” places to leave things but unless you get it in writing then it’s still your word against theirs if they were to complain a parcel went missing.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
How to get faster
Your spot on my friend!,clashcityrocker wrote:And if you get really fast you could ask them to decrease your contracted hours.
You won't be needing them.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
How to get faster
joewyan wrote:It’s just common sense at the end of the day. I just think how I would feel if it was my parcel etc. For example when Yodel deliver to me and throw breakable items over the gate. Some posties would say it’s ok to do that but it doesn’t mean I would do it!
At the end of the day you do whatever you feel happy doing but be prepared to accept the consequences if you do.
Once you have your own round in years to come then you’ll get to know your customers and some may tell you “safe” places to leave things but unless you get it in writing then it’s still your word against theirs if they were to complain a parcel went missing.
So your view towards it is - leave it in a sensible place, but deal with the consequences if the parcel goes missing.
How about - avoid the consequences altogether and docket it and bring it back to the depot. That seems like the common sense option.
I think Postie's probably prefer to take the risk of leaving a parcel because it's quicker and they can get back home to watch countdown.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16711
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
How to get faster
More often than not it is to provide a service to the people they see as their customers.norris9 wrote: I think Postie's probably prefer to take the risk of leaving a parcel because it's quicker and they can get back home to watch countdown.
The UK is a big space.
What might not be advisable on Kilburn High Road will be perfectly safe on a rural round in Gloucestershire.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
How to get faster
even a rural round in Gloucestershire I think youre taking a risk, albeit there may be less risk per packet left, but if you leave a parcel everywhere youre increasing the small risk with each parcel left unattended. You also still have the chance of someone who said they didnt get it but did.clashcityrocker wrote:More often than not it is to provide a service to the people they see as their customers.norris9 wrote: I think Postie's probably prefer to take the risk of leaving a parcel because it's quicker and they can get back home to watch countdown.
The UK is a big space.
What might not be advisable on Kilburn High Road will be perfectly safe on a rural round in Gloucestershire.
Lets face it the posties that continue to leave packages ARE the ones who have never had a complaint and fall into a false sense of security if they think it could NEVER happen, when the time eventually does come when a package goes missing, whats their excuse for leaving it unattended going to be ?
-
grchpo
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
- Gender: Male
How to get faster
Doesn't everyone leave parcels safe, l do if l know the customer & I have never been told not to leave them by colleagues or manager
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
How to get faster
I think an external store or electric/gas cupboard found outside the front of some homes is quite safe.... the parcel is hidden from view, it's safe from the weather. It's not guaranteed to be 100% safe, but I think it's more or less one of the best 'safe places' you can find.
Say the customer phones up and says it's not in the cupboard.... it's been stolen.
What happens... does it depend on the manager? or is there a set RM disciplinary procedure to follow?
1. Will the manager agree that the safe place you chose was acceptable and just advise not to leave any parcels in these cupboards in future.
2. Will it be seen by management as a total balls up by you and something you should not be doing at all and a black mark will go against your name.
3. Will you be sacked on the spot.
Say the customer phones up and says it's not in the cupboard.... it's been stolen.
What happens... does it depend on the manager? or is there a set RM disciplinary procedure to follow?
1. Will the manager agree that the safe place you chose was acceptable and just advise not to leave any parcels in these cupboards in future.
2. Will it be seen by management as a total balls up by you and something you should not be doing at all and a black mark will go against your name.
3. Will you be sacked on the spot.