ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Poll: Finish times
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Poll: Finish times
There wasn't a choice for finishing mostly 1 to 2 hrs late most days due to walk being too big.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Poll: Finish times
At my office, I have learnt about 10 rounds. Out of these, three have time for proper breaks after getting used to them. One has time for a proper break some days and other days not. But with these you still have to be working fast, fast and fast.
All of the others have no time whatsoever for any break!
One of them is a rural. This rural is supposed to be a 5 hour delivery. You are meant to leave the office at 9:20. I only manage to get back on time if I leave before 9am! There is no time for a break. I have done this round quite a few times now and can't think of any better way to do it. I would not class myself as slow. I am youngish, have a good memory, etc. I barely have enough time to have a sip of drink on this round. Ridiculous.
Morale in the office I work in is really low. Most people are peed off with each other, the job and the manager. It makes it an unpleasant and stressful place to work. I hate going in there. My old office was completely different in terms of the atmosphere.
All of the others have no time whatsoever for any break!
One of them is a rural. This rural is supposed to be a 5 hour delivery. You are meant to leave the office at 9:20. I only manage to get back on time if I leave before 9am! There is no time for a break. I have done this round quite a few times now and can't think of any better way to do it. I would not class myself as slow. I am youngish, have a good memory, etc. I barely have enough time to have a sip of drink on this round. Ridiculous.
Morale in the office I work in is really low. Most people are peed off with each other, the job and the manager. It makes it an unpleasant and stressful place to work. I hate going in there. My old office was completely different in terms of the atmosphere.
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 298
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
Poll: Finish times
where's the leave without a deal option? 
-
Caesar
- Posts: 234
- Joined: 22 Nov 2018, 12:23
- Gender: Male
Poll: Finish times
It would have been a waste of time including that option, nobody would take any noticemiles_peters wrote:where's the leave without a deal option?
-
kookoo32
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 10 Oct 2008, 20:34
- Gender: Male
- Location: scotland
Poll: Finish times
I'm obese and unfit and proud of it 
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16711
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Poll: Finish times
There is always time for a break. (Indeed there is a legal imperative to take the break)Interested-seeker wrote:
All of the others have no time whatsoever for any break!
There might not be time to complete the duty within the contracted hours.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3226
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Poll: Finish times
Yes the old do the job properly posts on here really do get feathers ruffled,I guess it depends on how near or far you are from your finishing time,some are just quick in everything they do,and can finish a good 2 hours before there time,as I get older I do slow down and pace myself and finishing nearly bang on time is getting to be the norm now and I love it,it’s a shame your always compared to others who are quicker and get back and go out again to complete a round and get over time and still finish early,this is where not having a boss to manage and send them out has it’s downfall,the whole system isn’t fit for purpose with apathy and bullying rife all over,people taking unpaid leave to stay away,etc ,an overhaul in all aspects of this job is long overdue,to address issues on bullying fairness workload etcnorris9 wrote:Interesting. After ~100 votes it seems that most people finish on or before their contracted finish time or shortly after, and those finishing late blame it mostly on being overworked, and not on slow partners, poor fitness, being new, etc.
So mostly happy posties on this front...getting back around the time they are supposed to.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Poll: Finish times
Where's the vote for I cut off at my finish time ?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Poll: Finish times
How did you get a photo of the op?Acca Dacca wrote:Norris?
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Poll: Finish times
I know, you are right! I completely agree. Believe it or not, I feel more intimidated by my coworkers than my boss. It's really toxic in there, a few of them are the type that won't support you and would in fact think I'm being lazy by cutting off. I never take lapsing though. But I have heard coworkers try and pressure others into taking lapsing. It is unbelievable. All the newbies, especially, get picked on...with comments like "aren't you out yet?", "that's an easy duty I thought you would be out by now". I have had it myself even though I don't think I'm slow by any means. Eight people have left the job since last May. Most who transfer in end up going back to their old office. Some say they have left because of being bullied. I have heard coworkers say that reserves who don't want to learn certain difficult rurals (e.g. ones that dutyholder doesn't get back from til 4) shouldn't have been employed! Disgusting behaviour.clashcityrocker wrote:There is always time for a break. (Indeed there is a legal imperative to take the break)Interested-seeker wrote:
All of the others have no time whatsoever for any break!
There might not be time to complete the duty within the contracted hours.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Poll: Finish times
Sadly, this is spot on. If you're holiday relief it can just be so much easier to go along with your partner who does it in day in day out without a break. Otherwise, if you insist on a break, they throw their toys out the pram and it's a long, toxic week.Interested-seeker wrote:I know, you are right! I completely agree. Believe it or not, I feel more intimidated by my coworkers than my boss. It's really toxic in there, a few of them are the type that won't support you and would in fact think I'm being lazy by cutting off. I never take lapsing though. But I have heard coworkers try and pressure others into taking lapsing. It is unbelievable. All the newbies, especially, get picked on...with comments like "aren't you out yet?", "that's an easy duty I thought you would be out by now". I have had it myself even though I don't think I'm slow by any means. Eight people have left the job since last May. Most who transfer in end up going back to their old office. Some say they have left because of being bullied. I have heard coworkers say that reserves who don't want to learn certain difficult rurals (e.g. ones that dutyholder doesn't get back from til 4) shouldn't have been employed! Disgusting behaviour.clashcityrocker wrote:There is always time for a break. (Indeed there is a legal imperative to take the break)Interested-seeker wrote:
All of the others have no time whatsoever for any break!
There might not be time to complete the duty within the contracted hours.
Totally agree, I prefer the DOM to some of my colleagues who want everything done their way, sulk if you didn't leave a tracked in 'Mrs Jones's bin, that's what we always do, she'll moan now', won't take a break, run around like stressed chickens and roll their eyes, sigh and pout if you wish to finish on time.
It really is all well and good saying you're entitled to a break and should take it, but the reality for some of us is very different. I even worked with a union rep the other month who didn't want to stop for a break and wanted to stay out and 'smash it, no matter what' ffs.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Poll: Finish times
An interesting and well constructed set of poll questions. I do agree they should have been formatted and combined with the query as to whether those posties are coming in early, not following procedures, and not taking any or all statutory breaks. If answered honestly I would expect the majority if not all those polled to state yes to at least two of these queries. This 'culture', to use RMs favourite terminology, is so strong in RM and likely in the whole of the UK that I feel it will likely never stop.
Regarding the comments about pressure that borders on bullying from workmates we get that to a small degree in our DO but it's largely in a jokey way although it is annoying or potentially upsetting depending on the person/s being targeted.
I have said it before numerous times but I will say it again. If we all did the job as RM & the union proscribes we would all be going over duty time every day, maybe even on Tuesdays, paid or unpaid or choosing to cut off which makes the job problematic. I was looking forward to the AHDC system being implemented as this would provide proof of how long the job actually takes to complete. It has been reported on this forum via the union that the AHDC does prove that the job cannot be completed in duty time so the RM will likely not implement it. In addition I heard from our DOM the other day that the detectors do not collect the data properly especially when walk frames are close to each other so the posties data gets mixed together. Therefore it cannot be implemented in smaller DOs like ours where the walk frames are next to each other.
Regarding the comments about pressure that borders on bullying from workmates we get that to a small degree in our DO but it's largely in a jokey way although it is annoying or potentially upsetting depending on the person/s being targeted.
I have said it before numerous times but I will say it again. If we all did the job as RM & the union proscribes we would all be going over duty time every day, maybe even on Tuesdays, paid or unpaid or choosing to cut off which makes the job problematic. I was looking forward to the AHDC system being implemented as this would provide proof of how long the job actually takes to complete. It has been reported on this forum via the union that the AHDC does prove that the job cannot be completed in duty time so the RM will likely not implement it. In addition I heard from our DOM the other day that the detectors do not collect the data properly especially when walk frames are close to each other so the posties data gets mixed together. Therefore it cannot be implemented in smaller DOs like ours where the walk frames are next to each other.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
