ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2039
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
I never knock using my knuckles, I always use my PDA, I once cracked a window in an old Victorian house, good job they where not in 
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Yes I have lost count of the times this happened to me,apart from one person who complained,dont ask me why,everyone else was lovely and really grateful,its little things like this that I miss about being a postie.PostmanBitesDog wrote:I was complimented by a resident for knocking on their door at approximately 10:00am on a Saturday morning when they had a wicked hangover. And I had nothing to deliver to them at all.
The reason they were mighty pleased was because I informed them that they left their front door keys in the lock. I knocked, they answered with bleary, blood-shot eyes and a disheveled appearance, and I politely said that they forgot to remove the house keys from the door.
"Oh thank you, postie! How embarrassing. I got home late from a nightclub last night and I was so drunk that I must've forgot to take the keys from the lock after I let myself in."
I'm sure some of you have been kind enough to do this, too. It's a nice feeling to let residents know that their keys are visible from the street, waiting to be snatched by some deceitful character.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
"Why are you knocking the door, there's a bell?"
"You'd be surprised how many don't work, then people complain that I haven't knocked the door before putting a card though."
"You'd be surprised how many don't work, then people complain that I haven't knocked the door before putting a card though."
-
PostmanBitesDog
- Posts: 1428
- Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Yep, I know how you feel, Brandy.Brandy wrote:Yes I have lost count of the times this happened to me,apart from one person who complained, dont ask me why,everyone else was lovely and really grateful,its little things like this that I miss about being a postie.PostmanBitesDog wrote:I was complimented by a resident for knocking on their door at approximately 10:00am on a Saturday morning when they had a wicked hangover. And I had nothing to deliver to them at all.
The reason they were mighty pleased was because I informed them that they left their front door keys in the lock. I knocked, they answered with bleary, blood-shot eyes and a disheveled appearance, and I politely said that they forgot to remove the house keys from the door.
"Oh thank you, postie! How embarrassing. I got home late from a nightclub last night and I was so drunk that I must've forgot to take the keys from the lock after I let myself in."
I'm sure some of you have been kind enough to do this, too. It's a nice feeling to let residents know that their keys are visible from the street, waiting to be snatched by some deceitful character.
I'm so humbled when the customers respect us posties for taking care of them in their neighborhood, even if it's something like letting them know about their house keys left in the door. Or - as was the case a few months ago - letting a customer know one quiet Saturday morning that the back window of their car in their driveway was smashed. Most likely by some moron the night before, but the customer was so grateful I gave them a knock to let them know so that they could call the police.
-
PostmanBitesDog
- Posts: 1428
- Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
I've been using my PDA on occasions lately too, mattycash. Especially for the rock-solid doors, considering the fact that my knuckles are almost worn out by the end of the day with all those letters and D2Ds being shoved through the letter slots.mattycash wrote:I never knock using my knuckles, I always use my PDA, I once cracked a window in an old Victorian house, good job they where not in
There's also another way to get the customers to come to the door:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Deadly
- Posts: 703
- Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
That must be an old photo, the Combo isn't pink!
-
ArthurPewty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
One woman told me off for knocking her 'brushed aluminium' or whatever door once. There's no bell. So EVERY parcel she's had since goes straight back to the office with a 739 in the box. No problem, I write the card out at the DO and put it in with her mail. Sorted.postietom wrote:"Why are you knocking the door, there's a bell?"
"You'd be surprised how many don't work, then people complain that I haven't knocked the door before putting a card though."
-
Roccat4
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:39
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Young American lady waiting for her passport/visa or whatever (SD) chased mi barefoot on on rainy November day some years ago.
- Why didn't you use intercom?
- Main door was wide open, so went straight to your flat door.
- How was I supposed to know?
You don't even know what to say after that.
- Why didn't you use intercom?
- Main door was wide open, so went straight to your flat door.
- How was I supposed to know?
You don't even know what to say after that.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2039
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
I completely ignore these new "ONE" video doorbells, if you want to film me ask my permission.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
I gave up with that has everyone was ungratefulPostmanBitesDog wrote:I was complimented by a resident for knocking on their door at approximately 10:00am on a Saturday morning when they had a wicked hangover. And I had nothing to deliver to them at all.
The reason they were mighty pleased was because I informed them that they left their front door keys in the lock. I knocked, they answered with bleary, blood-shot eyes and a disheveled appearance, and I politely said that they forgot to remove the house keys from the door.
"Oh thank you, postie! How embarrassing. I got home late from a nightclub last night and I was so drunk that I must've forgot to take the keys from the lock after I let myself in."
I'm sure some of you have been kind enough to do this, too. It's a nice feeling to let residents know that their keys are visible from the street, waiting to be snatched by some deceitful character.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Yes, I hate them. I feel uncomfortable with the thought of being filmed by customers.mattycash wrote:I completely ignore these new "ONE" video doorbells, if you want to film me ask my permission.
-
superports
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Amazing how people don't hear a doorbell or the door being knocked but do hear a 739 landing on their doormat
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
And yet we are allowed to take photos on customers' properties without their permission.mattycash wrote:I completely ignore these new "ONE" video doorbells, if you want to film me ask my permission.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16710
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
I think the fact you have walked on to their property gives them implied permission.mattycash wrote:I completely ignore these new "ONE" video doorbells, if you want to film me ask my permission.
A bit like CCTV at train stations etc.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Sledge4211
- Posts: 68
- Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
The majority of the RING doorbells have senors on them anyway so when you a approach a door an automatic message will be sent to the occupier to let them know somebody is on there propertyclashcityrocker wrote:I think the fact you have walked on to their property gives them implied permission.mattycash wrote:I completely ignore these new "ONE" video doorbells, if you want to film me ask my permission.
A bit like CCTV at train stations etc.