ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Nickvilla20
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
Gender: Male

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by Nickvilla20 »

They wouldn’t be a bad idea on a few of the HCT rounds they might be able to carry there own bulk then.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by rambo1 »

Nick b wrote:Might work in York as it's the only city thats: a. Flat. b. Is cycle friendly. Anywhere else forget it for many many reasons that previous contributers have mentioned.
It wouldn't even fit up the Shambles lol.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by LaggyBand »

I’d take one of these right now.

I get on with my park and loop partner really well, friends outside of work, and we both say if they cut our job in half and gave us one of these each we’d take the deal no question.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by Seymour Buts »

I'd love this. Every walk I've ever done would work better as a single duty. Everybody back on there own again, it'd work. Obviously you'd still need the vans for rurals, firm and collection jobs but I think for most those would be great.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by 2pints »

I would love to use them.Alot of negativity on here >?
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

2pints wrote:I would love to use them.Alot of negativity on here >?
You say allot negativity. I say allot of valid points that no one seems to be addressing.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q504.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like it's a possibility that a car or motor bike license would be required to use them, which would effectively make a having a valid car license mandatory for all DO staff
Biker Mouse
Posts: 543
Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 18:37
Gender: Male

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by Biker Mouse »

SpacePhoenix wrote:https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q504.htm

Looks like it's a possibility that a car or motor bike license would be required to use them, which would effectively make a having a valid car license mandatory for all DO staff
There is no engine as such therefore license not needed.
Marshamp11
Posts: 437
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
Gender: Male

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by Marshamp11 »

Good to see they come with mirrors. Given the amount of traffic in my delivery area I will at least get vast amounts of pleasure from seeing the 2 mile tailback behind me as I pedal along. Happy days.
Gold Fox
Posts: 313
Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
Gender: Female

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by Gold Fox »

Much better than pushing the heavy cart for couple of miles every day. Postal staff in the third world countries do not push HCT .... bring it on .... thank you Royal Mail .
Mr Blonde
Posts: 337
Joined: 23 May 2007, 20:44

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by Mr Blonde »

Jahpostie wrote:Seen something similar in the Netherlands. Bring it on. :Very Happy
The Netherlands is renowned for being flat!

They'd be wonderful for a centralised DO but our office is a unit on a trading estate 20 mins walk from the nearest house and the majority of deliveries are beyond that, it'll be a long ride out to the first delivery point and it's not like the old days where you could put a bike in the back of a van and get dropped off.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by Jahpostie »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Jahpostie wrote:Seen something similar in the Netherlands. Bring it on. :Very Happy
The Netherlands is renowned for being flat!

They'd be wonderful for a centralised DO but our office is a unit on a trading estate 20 mins walk from the nearest house and the majority of deliveries are beyond that, it'll be a long ride out to the first delivery point and it's not like the old days where you could put a bike in the back of a van and get dropped off.
I thought they were electric - so you'll peddle but assisted by the battery so no resistance up the hills.
Danelectro
Posts: 1058
Joined: 13 Apr 2008, 01:02

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by Danelectro »

It's a fact that no matter which direction of travel and no matter where in the world wind,rain,sleet and snow only approaches a postie head on.

Thats why In 1956 Granton -on - Spey delivery office were deployed by the US Military to divert a hurricane heading for New York City by staring out of a dinghy on Loch Muick.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Biker Mouse wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q504.htm

Looks like it's a possibility that a car or motor bike license would be required to use them, which would effectively make a having a valid car license mandatory for all DO staff
There is no engine as such therefore license not needed.
Depends on the motor wattage by the looks of it:

https://www.raleigh.co.uk/electric-bike-laws/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EAPC is an acronym for ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ – another way of saying electric bike. To be classed as an EAPC, a bike must meet certain requirements. It must have pedals that can be used to propel it. On the bike itself it must show either the power output or the manufacturer of the motor. Plus it must show either the batteries voltage or the maximum speed of the bike.

The electric motor on the bike must have a maximum continuous power output of no more than 250 watts and should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph.

If any bike doesn’t meet these regulations, then it is classed as a motorcycle, moped or speed pedelec, it will then need to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence and a crash helmet for these.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

E-Trikes: Will this work?

Post by Brandy »

Dont get me wrong I loved it when we had bikes,but I thought one of the reasons RM got rid of them was for health and safety reasons,ok I know these are trikes,but I can see them being a lot more dangerous than an ordinary 2 wheeled bike,for instance they could tip up so easily,I suppose you would have to take all your mail out with you,just imagine the weight,ok I know it will be electric but it will still be hard work and not like the good old bikes where you could nip along these could cause really bad traffic queues.
I can understand a lot of the posties wanting to go back working on their own,really they should never have got rid of the bikes in the first place,oh the good old days,infact I was really quite sad when I had to stop using mine.