ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why I think the Royal Mail's electric-trike trial is important

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Why I think the Royal Mail's electric-trike trial is important

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/art ... ike-53727/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Royal Mail, the UK’s primary postal-carrier, is set to trial eight e-assisted trikes in selected urban areas from March onwards in a bid to reduce emissions.

While the trikes themselves are interesting, I think the significance is a large company illustrating that practical, cycle-powered alternatives to urban transport exist.

The custom-built trikes are equipped with a 250w motor, and battery power is supplemented by two solar panels located on the roof of the trike’s cargo area.

The trikes also feature a large windscreen that covers the whole front of the bike, sheltering posties from the elements.

The six-month trial will start in Stratford, Cambridge and Sutton Coldfield

The large cargo area of the trikes is designed to primarily carry letters and small packages. Larger parcels will still be delivered by conventional means, which sadly means you’re not going to find your next bike delivered by bike.

Looking at the image above, the bikes also appear to be equipped with inbuilt lighting, wing mirrors and disc brakes. Further spec details, which I’m sure you’re all dying to know, are not yet available.

The six-month trial will start in Stratford, Cambridge and Sutton Coldfield. If the trial is deemed successful, Royal Mail may expand the program across the UK.

Why is this trial significant?

‘Urban mobility’ and ‘utility cycling’ are two of the hottest topics in the cycling world, as evidenced by the slew of e-assisted-everything we’ve become accustomed to seeing at every trade show we attend.

However, I would argue that the adoption of these cycle-powered-solutions in the UK has lagged far behind that of the continent. Indeed, the Royal Mail itself actually ditched its iconic Pashley Mailstar bikes back in 2014, to the disappointment of many cycling groups and environmental charities.

Pushing that misstep aside, I think Royal Mail’s trial is significant, because increasing awareness about the practical alternatives available, particularly by such an iconic and publically visible brand, can only be a good thing.

That it is e-assisted is also significant. Electric bikes have been proven time and again to lower the psychological barrier to getting people out of cars and as such, I wholeheartedly welcome this move. Pending the success of the trial, I hope other large companies are inspired to follow suit.

How about you? Do you welcome the move or are you suffering from a case of back-in-my-dayism when posties would haul loads on bikes unadulterated by assistance? Should we expect upcoming episodes of Postman Pat to include exciting trike action? As always, leave your thoughts in the comments.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Why I think the Royal Mail's electric-trike trial is important

Post by Celgar »

The impression given is that these trikes are not fully electric powered so a lot of the momentum will have to come from our bodies. It's one thing to ride a bike with 16kg of mail in the front basket or even be overweight and have maybe 25 kg in the front basket. It is an entirely different matter to maybe try and cycle your whole delivery at once on these trikes.
I realise diesal is on its way out as an option for the future but I would say these trikes appear to be a complete non-starter.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Why I think the Royal Mail's electric-trike trial is important

Post by redneck »

Power assist is a massive help for pedalling along, it gives support to the drive up to 15.6mph, uphill and against wind. These are not bikes, they are eco-friendly vehicles that will help save jobs and the planet, carrying a surprising amount of parcels and mail. This is what Royal Fail should have done when they got rid of the bikes, but when did they ever think ahead more than a few days?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12182
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Why I think the Royal Mail's electric-trike trial is important

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Celgar wrote:The impression given is that these trikes are not fully electric powered so a lot of the momentum will have to come from our bodies. It's one thing to ride a bike with 16kg of mail in the front basket or even be overweight and have maybe 25 kg in the front basket. It is an entirely different matter to maybe try and cycle your whole delivery at once on these trikes.
I realise diesal is on its way out as an option for the future but I would say these trikes appear to be a complete non-starter.
You can get Tracked items now up to 30kg. How do RM propose to deal with the charging of the batteries if a good few DOs don't have enough room for vans, where do they expect to find charging points?
El-Bandito
Posts: 313
Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 14:14
Gender: Male

Why I think the Royal Mail's electric-trike trial is important

Post by El-Bandito »

From the star trek transporter, duh.