ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivering to flats

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Delivering to flats

Post by arnold cheshire »

misstmac wrote:I am new to the role and have been told by different colleagues, who have all been doing the job for years, conflicting advice. I simply came here to ask what the correct, OFFICIAL procedure is.

My only experience of delivery to flats has been a small block on my round who only have a communal letterbox not individual ones to each property.

Not sure why you feel the need to try and belittle me arnold cheshire. Either way I will so as I stated in my previous post :roll:
Do what you want Im not belittling you
misstmac
Posts: 86
Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
Gender: Female

Delivering to flats

Post by misstmac »

Thanks Yellowbelly. My original thought process was if I post them through the communal door then chances are they’re just going to get trodden over by anyone walking through. But yes, that makes complete sense. So I shall stick to my original plan of each flat unless I’m told otherwise in an official capacity :thumbup
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Delivering to flats

Post by arnold cheshire »

misstmac wrote:Thanks Yellowbelly. My original thought process was if I post them through the communal door then chances are they’re just going to get trodden over by anyone walking through. But yes, that makes complete sense. So I shall stick to my original plan of each flat unless I’m told otherwise in an official capacity :thumbup
ignorance
misstmac
Posts: 86
Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
Gender: Female

Delivering to flats

Post by misstmac »

arnold cheshire wrote:
misstmac wrote:Thanks Yellowbelly. My original thought process was if I post them through the communal door then chances are they’re just going to get trodden over by anyone walking through. But yes, that makes complete sense. So I shall stick to my original plan of each flat unless I’m told otherwise in an official capacity :thumbup
ignorance
Please explain that comment arnold cheshire....I feel like I’m missing something here?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Delivering to flats

Post by arnold cheshire »

misstmac wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:
misstmac wrote:Thanks Yellowbelly. My original thought process was if I post them through the communal door then chances are they’re just going to get trodden over by anyone walking through. But yes, that makes complete sense. So I shall stick to my original plan of each flat unless I’m told otherwise in an official capacity :thumbup
ignorance
Please explain that comment arnold cheshire....I feel like I’m missing something here?
Why was I belittling you I was giving advice?
misstmac
Posts: 86
Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
Gender: Female

Delivering to flats

Post by misstmac »

It very much felt like a ‘how stupid can you be comment’ to me. Maybe the choice of language used..sounded like a headmasters telling off! However, if that wasn’t the intention then I apologise for the misunderstanding. Unfortunately written words are open to interpretation when it comes to tone without knowing how the person speaks in their day to day life.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Delivering to flats

Post by arnold cheshire »

misstmac wrote:It very much felt like a ‘how stupid can you be comment’ to me. Maybe the choice of language used..sounded like a headmasters telling off! However, if that wasn’t the intention then I apologise for the misunderstanding. Unfortunately written words are open to interpretation when it comes to tone without knowing how the person speaks in their day to day life.
ok apologies accepted . They either have multiple boxes in the lobby or a box on each door. Just because maybe the door in the lobby has a letter box on by mistake doesn't mean we use it
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Delivering to flats

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

misstmac wrote:I shall stick to my original plan of each flat unless I’m told otherwise in an official capacity :thumbup
That's what I would do too, misstmac. Go with delivering to the individual addresses. If anybody else says otherwise, it'll be because they want to go too fast and risk Royal Mail receiving complaints. I've delivered to a couple of apartment buildings on two separate walks where there is only one communal box at each location. But the mail there is taken care of by the building supervisors who each have an office right by the main door near the box.

But other deliveries have individual letter slots in their respective doors inside the buildings, and naturally it's just spending time walking up and down the hallways posting the letters. Or, better yet, some buildings have the individual customers' post boxes in the lobby as you described before. That saves the trepidation of shoving all the mail into one box and it also saves the exhausting trips up and down stairs and hallways.

And where there's the choice of two in the same building (a communal box and individual post boxes; a rarity by the way), then I always deliver to the individual boxes. It's more secure and efficient that way, rather than the communal box only. I tend to think of proper etiquette and professionalism when serving our customers, I don't think of serving some numpty Royal Mail manager or Walk partner who want to rush through the day and leave a trail of mistakes and complaints. :so there :wink:
misstmac
Posts: 86
Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
Gender: Female

Delivering to flats

Post by misstmac »

Cheers arnold. Makes the most sense to me doing it that way. I get that finding ways to save a bit of time and your legs having to go up a couple of flights of stairs X 10 or so blocks is something we’d all like...but I can see how it could cause all sorts of issues re customer complaints. I’ll just make sure I have my porridge next week :chuckle
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4116
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Delivering to flats

Post by ted_e_bear »

Ok, can't see what the issue is here with conflicting replies, each flat has its own letterbox so they're the ones to use in my opinion.
south London postie
Posts: 127
Joined: 14 Jan 2016, 10:54
Gender: Male

Delivering to flats

Post by south London postie »

I also had to check about this.

Funnily enough I need to do both methods of delivery at the same block - Mon/Fri, the 'concierge' is available and lets me in the main door,then I deliver to each letter box in the block. On Saturdays, he isn't around so I shove the post through the one letter box at the main entrance and the residents help themselves.
matt76
Posts: 25
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 13:36
Gender: Male

Delivering to flats

Post by matt76 »

Deliver to each flat. I live in one and if my mail was put through the main letterbox I’d be having a quiet word with my postie!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Delivering to flats

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

The official procedure is to deliver to self-contained flats that have their own delivery point. https://business.help.royalmail.com/app ... -addresses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Delivering mail to multi-occupied addresses

If you live in or occupy business premises in a location where our delivery staff only have access to a single point where they deliver mail for multiple residences or premises within that location, this is considered to be a multi-occupied address.

Where delivery arrangements already exist where a facility is provided such as a central point for the delivery of mail or the provision of external lockable letter boxes at a building/site, these will be deemed as the delivery point for the individual addresses. In such circumstances, Royal Mail will not perform deliveries to individual residences or business premises, if requested by individual customers, even if the delivery standard criteria below are met.

If you have an item that needs to be signed for this will be delivered to the door to obtain the signature rather than left at the central point.

Residential Locations
Where separate facilities are provided for each residence, we will only deliver mail directly to your residence or to a centrally located box corresponding to your residence, provided all of the following conditions are met:
1.Your residence is a self-contained property and is separately and individually rated by the local authority for council tax purposes.
2.Your residence can be clearly identified (with a number, letter or name) and has its own letterbox (or a secure lockable receptacle that clearly corresponds to the residence)
3.Our delivery staff can gain safe and easy access to perform delivery to your residence.
4.The residence is a permanent structure.

Should any of the conditions above not be met then we are not obliged to deliver mail directly to your residence. Instead, we will deliver your mail to a suitable central reception point or letterbox for your location, together with other mail for this location
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Delivering to flats

Post by Newbie001 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:The official procedure is to deliver to self-contained flats that have their own delivery point. https://business.help.royalmail.com/app ... -addresses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Delivering mail to multi-occupied addresses

If you live in or occupy business premises in a location where our delivery staff only have access to a single point where they deliver mail for multiple residences or premises within that location, this is considered to be a multi-occupied address.

Where delivery arrangements already exist where a facility is provided such as a central point for the delivery of mail or the provision of external lockable letter boxes at a building/site, these will be deemed as the delivery point for the individual addresses. In such circumstances, Royal Mail will not perform deliveries to individual residences or business premises, if requested by individual customers, even if the delivery standard criteria below are met.

If you have an item that needs to be signed for this will be delivered to the door to obtain the signature rather than left at the central point.

Residential Locations
Where separate facilities are provided for each residence, we will only deliver mail directly to your residence or to a centrally located box corresponding to your residence, provided all of the following conditions are met:
1.Your residence is a self-contained property and is separately and individually rated by the local authority for council tax purposes.
2.Your residence can be clearly identified (with a number, letter or name) and has its own letterbox (or a secure lockable receptacle that clearly corresponds to the residence)
3.Our delivery staff can gain safe and easy access to perform delivery to your residence.
4.The residence is a permanent structure.

Should any of the conditions above not be met then we are not obliged to deliver mail directly to your residence. Instead, we will deliver your mail to a suitable central reception point or letterbox for your location, together with other mail for this location
So if no-one buzzes you in, you're allowed to deliver to main letterbox. Someone should tell our manager, fed up putting no entry stickers on mail lol