All too often we hear the comment that 'the Union Rep is useless', 'Union rep does nothing', 'it's about time we stood up to this B&H' etc on these boards.
Now we have a rep and a witnessing colleague who are apparently willing to put their heads above the parapet for their members/colleagues and the
rep gets told to find something else to complain about...
If the manager thinks he/she is able to get away with this sort of comment to the rep, what does he/she get away with to shop floor staff?
Is this an isolated incident or is this the straw that has broken the camels back?
For the OP - If you're still reading this thread Sadlersbitch, thanks for representing your members!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Unacceptable or racism?
-
westy23
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 66
- Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 10:35
- Gender: Male
Unacceptable or racism?
What I said was.
(Find something WORTH complaining about for fxxks sake.)
Will say no more on the subject.
(Find something WORTH complaining about for fxxks sake.)
Will say no more on the subject.
-
sadlersbitch
- Posts: 173
- Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 17:50
- Location: on your wife!
Unacceptable or racism?
Thank you for all of your replies,
I don’t for one minute think it’s racism at best it’s clumsy, stupid,and shows a bias, which considering he is supposed to be fair and dispassionate is unacceptable. I have raised it with my DOM who will do nothing.
Incidentally since the meeting I have been asked if I like polish food, am I going on holiday with my new polish friend, will I be going around my new polish friends house for Sunday lunch. Whilst resourcing I was told you can’t put him on that duty because he’s special. All of which is childish and not helpful.
The manager is not being professional, the case still isn’t finished no decision as yet, looking at the managers comments I think I can guess it won’t be no case to answer
UNITY IS STRENGTH
I don’t for one minute think it’s racism at best it’s clumsy, stupid,and shows a bias, which considering he is supposed to be fair and dispassionate is unacceptable. I have raised it with my DOM who will do nothing.
Incidentally since the meeting I have been asked if I like polish food, am I going on holiday with my new polish friend, will I be going around my new polish friends house for Sunday lunch. Whilst resourcing I was told you can’t put him on that duty because he’s special. All of which is childish and not helpful.
The manager is not being professional, the case still isn’t finished no decision as yet, looking at the managers comments I think I can guess it won’t be no case to answer
UNITY IS STRENGTH
royal mail donkey
UNITY IS STRENGTH
UNITY IS STRENGTH
-
westy23
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 66
- Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 10:35
- Gender: Male
Unacceptable or racism?
Morningsadlersbitch wrote:Thank you for all of your replies,
I don’t for one minute think it’s racism at best it’s clumsy, stupid,and shows a bias, which considering he is supposed to be fair and dispassionate is unacceptable. I have raised it with my DOM who will do nothing.
Incidentally since the meeting I have been asked if I like polish food, am I going on holiday with my new polish friend, will I be going around my new polish friends house for Sunday lunch. Whilst resourcing I was told you can’t put him on that duty because he’s special. All of which is childish and not helpful.
The manager is not being professional, the case still isn’t finished no decision as yet, looking at the managers comments I think I can guess it won’t be no case to answer
UNITY IS STRENGTH
Were all the other comments made by the same manager?
Is so he is certainly unprofessional and a complete twat.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Unacceptable or racism?
Since the comment was blatantly designed to fuel prejudice and discrimination and was targeted at a particular nationality it's pretty hard to see a coherent argument why it isn't racist.
Racism and fascism aren't defined by a particular moment in time. You don't need to wear jackboots to be a fascist and you don't need to wear a hood to be a racist. Both of these movements evolve over time and take on different forms and disguises and it makes no sense to use historical templates to decide what is and isn't one or the other.
Racism and fascism are symbiotic partners, they seek to denigrate, denounce and destroy anything that is not of themselves so be careful of anyone trying to downplay casual racism, pretends it's "banter" or tries to put down anyone who calls it out for what it is. If you're not one of them you could be next and one of them is usually a very narrow subset of human garbage.
Racism and fascism aren't defined by a particular moment in time. You don't need to wear jackboots to be a fascist and you don't need to wear a hood to be a racist. Both of these movements evolve over time and take on different forms and disguises and it makes no sense to use historical templates to decide what is and isn't one or the other.
Racism and fascism are symbiotic partners, they seek to denigrate, denounce and destroy anything that is not of themselves so be careful of anyone trying to downplay casual racism, pretends it's "banter" or tries to put down anyone who calls it out for what it is. If you're not one of them you could be next and one of them is usually a very narrow subset of human garbage.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
sadlersbitch
- Posts: 173
- Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 17:50
- Location: on your wife!
Unacceptable or racism?
Yes all made by the same manager he is a twat and very unprofessional my DOM knows this and does nothing
At least the appeal and the following grievance procedure should be interesting
At least the appeal and the following grievance procedure should be interesting
royal mail donkey
UNITY IS STRENGTH
UNITY IS STRENGTH
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Unacceptable or racism?
Irrelevant.Tman wrote:UnhappyGremlin wrote:It is racist.
It's also very innappropriate and very unacceptable.
And had the roles been reversed, I'd expect the Rep to have been suspended and conduct coded.
Not that the Rep would say this.
The manager should now be dealt with in the same manner.
Anybody who doesn't think this is racist, needs to educate themselves, or continue to look ignorant and stupid.
The comment wasn't even said to the person who would have been most affected, namely the Polish person. As the post above shows...the Thought Police are coming...
By your approach, person A can call person B a racist/homophobic name or whatever, and its fine because its not to their face? The comment is racist, the fact it was said about someone but not to them is completely irrelevant. The fact you think this way says quite a lot about you.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.