ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by jd9442 »

Never seen any internal transfers to a MC available on success factors
But go do some overtime in one to test it out
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by SpacePhoenix »

jd9442 wrote:Never seen any internal transfers to a MC available on success factors
But go do some overtime in one to test it out
Probably got more chance by moving over to Angard. We get a few days now where it seems like were outnumbered by casuals, and a few more where were outnumbered by casuals and those on docket combined
rainbowwarrior72
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 431
Joined: 07 Nov 2009, 11:14
Gender: Male

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by rainbowwarrior72 »

Pancake123 wrote:Hey everyone ,
I started working as a postperson couple months ago,I quite like the job but Iam thinking about transferring to MC.Personally I think that the job would be easier /less stress/breaks always on time/No dogs/No snow ,rain/more overtimes...
What do you think guys,whats the better option and why ? Did anyone move from DO to MC ?
Thank you for help :)
Coventry is no longer a MC as far as I am aware it downgraded to a MPU/Collection Hub years ago when South Midlands MC took its work. The only thing in Coventry is the Parcelforce Parcel Superhub and you would lose money as Parcelforce staff are on different payrates I would doublecheck first. Besides as far as I am aware MCs are not taking more staff its the other way with casuals making up the shortfall
cobrakai
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 320
Joined: 13 Dec 2007, 17:17

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by cobrakai »

Never worked in a DO but I can tell you from experience that Mail centres are like battery farms almost. Bullying is rampant, depression/stress/addictions seem prevalent. The management is so corrupt it literally reads like a John Grisham book. The people of different backgrounds don’t seem to mix, the casuals seem to be their own little gang.... Added to the mix the almost daily realisation that you are stuck there without any career progression unless you become a manager or go to a lesser paid job.

Good luck to you but definitely test the water first. You might like it.
rainbowwarrior72
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 431
Joined: 07 Nov 2009, 11:14
Gender: Male

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by rainbowwarrior72 »

Pancake123 wrote:Hey everyone ,
I started working as a postperson couple months ago,I quite like the job but Iam thinking about transferring to MC.Personally I think that the job would be easier /less stress/breaks always on time/No dogs/No snow ,rain/more overtimes...
What do you think guys,whats the better option and why ? Did anyone move from DO to MC ?
Thank you for help :)
I think for a transfer you have to do a qualifying period and it may be a year at least
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by Interested-seeker »

I work in a delivery office. The best part of my day is being outdoors delivering. I hate being stuck in the office in the mornings. I like being by myself and only dealing with people for a few seconds at a time.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by daveyeff »

aiden01 wrote:
daveyeff wrote:ive worked overtime in mail centres over the years, as I needed money at the time, they are a horrible place to work in my opinion. gaffers watching your every move, boring, clock watching, piss poor morale, no one talks to each other or seems to want to talk to you. give me D.Os ANYDAY.
Is that all you found wrong :nana
:Very Happy :thumbup
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by NWpostie »

Interested-seeker wrote:I work in a delivery office. The best part of my day is being outdoors delivering. I hate being stuck in the office in the mornings. I like being by myself and only dealing with people for a few seconds at a time.
That sums me up too, I rather not be stuck inside working with people I don't like and unable to have your own time to yourself.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Pancake123
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 Nov 2018, 06:58
Gender: Female

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by Pancake123 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
jd9442 wrote:Never seen any internal transfers to a MC available on success factors
But go do some overtime in one to test it out
I have seen vacancies as a Mail Sorter/Proccesor,couldnt apply because I just started job in DO,now I passed 26 weeks probation period and it looks like I will be waiting next few years for another vacancies lol :crazy: thanks anyway for all your answers guys :Applause
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by maisymoo04 »

good luck finding a mail centre vacancy . only vacancys is for a cleaner operative, DO anytime can you see yourself finishing before your time (some people )in a mail centre and walking out ??? I don't think so :whistle :whistle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
jmcg
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 15:50
Gender: Male

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by jmcg »

Some mail centres are better than others, it can be very boring.
redheadedwoman
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 132
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 14:58
Gender: Female

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by redheadedwoman »

Worked in a DO for years and used to enjoy it, nothing wrong with the job just a few idiots who spoilt it with there ways. Yes it is a lot tougher now then what it used to be but I guess its what floats your boat.
Now work in a MC which is the total opposite.
Yes stuck inside all day but nowhere near as tough as doing a walk.
We are on our feet all day sorting or portering and can walk as much as a delivery postie but you dont have the same sort of stress and grief as doing a walk.None of us is getting any younger which makes working in a MC a lot better but as said depending what duty you have can be as boring as hell.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by postslippete »

Imagine cleaning those machines with a toothbrush and those pesky letters getting jammed in the belts. For any extra shift allowance dosh I guess I would still prefer to be delivering outdoors away from work-shy managers who have nothing better to do than walk the floor with a clipboard and give silly huddles.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by SpacePhoenix »

postslippete wrote:Imagine cleaning those machines with a toothbrush and those pesky letters getting jammed in the belts. For any extra shift allowance dosh I guess I would still prefer to be delivering outdoors away from work-shy managers who have nothing better to do than walk the floor with a clipboard and give silly huddles.
They get vacuumed out, once you've been on them for a while you get to know which mail is very prone to jamming, you then send them items straight to manual
toofpick
Posts: 26
Joined: 20 Oct 2010, 14:13
Gender: Male

Whats better DO or MC ? your opinion Guys

Post by toofpick »

SpacePhoenix wrote:In the long term all of you in deliveries have got more job security, RM are bound to look at trying to automate as much of the work in MCs as possible at some point. In MCs you always have deadlines as the mail has to be ready by whatever time the lorry it goes on is due to head out. Seems like management are always focused on hours used/budget.

On the flipside for deliveries long term I think it's probably going to be a choice between 6-8 hour deliveries or most DO staff going part time. Sunday delivery of SDs and Tracked is going to happen at some point, just look at the number of rival firms who already have Sunday deliveries
I’ve been doing Sunday parcel deliveries since 2014 when they started within the M25 area. Just had notification that these are now ceasing after this Mother’s Day for the entire area. So the business seems to be turning away from Sunday parcels.