ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
What can I use during dog's attack ?
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
What can I use during dog's attack ?
I used to use my number 12 boots.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
What can I use during dog's attack ?
I bet they soon scarpered when they saw them coming!hothothot wrote:I used to use my number 12 boots.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
What can I use during dog's attack ?
Many years a huge Rottweiler once ran out of the front door whilst I was half way up the drive. I didn't hesitate to run and scale the side fence that was there! I've been told that if a big dog attacks then pulling its front legs apart usually disables it; but try doing it when its jaws are already sunk in your arm and I assume its not as easy as it looks.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
What can I use during dog's attack ?
out of orderk979aaa wrote:Deleted post
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
What can I use during dog's attack ?
If so quoting only makes the damage worse, it's better to use the report feature.arnold cheshire wrote:out of orderk979aaa wrote:Deleted post
To k929aaa - I recognise it was a joke, but it was in bad taste, and just imagine how the Daily Express or Daily Mail would use it when they want an "attack the posties" story. We have no control over who sees your posts if everyone kept that in mind it would make my job, and Postman, easier.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
What can I use during dog's attack ?
Thanks tbtTrueBlueTerrier wrote:If so quoting only makes the damage worse, it's better to use the report feature.arnold cheshire wrote:out of orderk979aaa wrote:Deleted post
To k929aaa - I recognise it was a joke, but it was in bad taste, and just imagine how the Daily Express or Daily Mail would use it when they want an "attack the posties" story. We have no control over who sees your posts if everyone kept that in mind it would make my job, and Postman, easier.
-
rodtheplod
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 04 Apr 2017, 14:33
- Gender: Male
What can I use during dog's attack ?
Royal Mail could and should include a leaflet to be delivered with D2D's every quarter reminding dog owners of their responsibilities.
The list should include not to open your door until your dog is safely put into a separate room. It happens several times every day when delivering parcels/packets.
And should also clearly state the outcome of any failure, i.e mail being stopped, dog warden and police being contacted and any consequences following on from that.
Will they, probably not as that would cost money.
On the subject of what to do if attacked, trying to avoid it is the first step, even if you suspect a dog is loose, don't go into the property. I have missed a whole cul-de-sac because of a loose dog.
If you are attacked try and get the hell out of there and if this isn't possible throw the bundle at the dog to distract it and try legging it. If it keeps coming, as mentioned try to use the bag as a shield and if all else fails kick 10 shades of s**t out of it.
The list should include not to open your door until your dog is safely put into a separate room. It happens several times every day when delivering parcels/packets.
And should also clearly state the outcome of any failure, i.e mail being stopped, dog warden and police being contacted and any consequences following on from that.
Will they, probably not as that would cost money.
On the subject of what to do if attacked, trying to avoid it is the first step, even if you suspect a dog is loose, don't go into the property. I have missed a whole cul-de-sac because of a loose dog.
If you are attacked try and get the hell out of there and if this isn't possible throw the bundle at the dog to distract it and try legging it. If it keeps coming, as mentioned try to use the bag as a shield and if all else fails kick 10 shades of s**t out of it.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
What can I use during dog's attack ?
Personally if I'm a little worried about entering a property I will always have a decent amount of mail in my hand. Then I have something to offer in retreat and it has worked several times. RM always mention keeping the mail pouch between you and the dog but invariably the dog will be a small breed going for your lower leg or ankle so that defence is largely ineffective.
The best defence is knowing the walk or the DO having an up to date and easily visible and user friendly log of the dangerous dogs on all the walks. They are likely to be small in number for each walk so it shouldn't be difficult to set up.
We recently were asked by our DOM to provide details of any possibly troublesome dogs and the RMs standard dog letter was sent to all their addresses. Our DOM had knowledge of this letter being sent out at a previous office they worked at where it caused a ****storm of complaints. As predicted it also caused a lot of unhappy customers at our DO as well so our DOM had to explain we were just following orders and if nothing happened in terms of dog attacks then there was nothing to worry about. Customers are easily upset.
PS The standard rule is not to enter a property if are worried about entering regarding dogs. RM will back you up to the hilt on this one as it is a monetary cost to them if you get bitten or injured and go sick.
The best defence is knowing the walk or the DO having an up to date and easily visible and user friendly log of the dangerous dogs on all the walks. They are likely to be small in number for each walk so it shouldn't be difficult to set up.
We recently were asked by our DOM to provide details of any possibly troublesome dogs and the RMs standard dog letter was sent to all their addresses. Our DOM had knowledge of this letter being sent out at a previous office they worked at where it caused a ****storm of complaints. As predicted it also caused a lot of unhappy customers at our DO as well so our DOM had to explain we were just following orders and if nothing happened in terms of dog attacks then there was nothing to worry about. Customers are easily upset.
PS The standard rule is not to enter a property if are worried about entering regarding dogs. RM will back you up to the hilt on this one as it is a monetary cost to them if you get bitten or injured and go sick.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Pancake123
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 06 Nov 2018, 06:58
- Gender: Female
What can I use during dog's attack ?
Thank you guys for your comments,finally I decided to but some „dog attack detterent spray „ just in case
I am a small woman, I dont feel confident especialy now when I talked to many posties in my DO already end every single one has been bitten/attacked by a dog minimum once
I am a small woman, I dont feel confident especialy now when I talked to many posties in my DO already end every single one has been bitten/attacked by a dog minimum once
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3730
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
What can I use during dog's attack ?
On the linked BBC 3 clips page are a short BBC 3 item "How Not To Die: From A Dog Attack" about a dog attack and what
to do - warning - description of event and images may be distressing for some:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/clip/965 ... aba571ff0a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On same web page an item about "Things Not To Say To 'Dangerous' Dog Owners (and dogs)"
to do - warning - description of event and images may be distressing for some:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/clip/965 ... aba571ff0a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On same web page an item about "Things Not To Say To 'Dangerous' Dog Owners (and dogs)"
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
What can I use during dog's attack ?
A dog chew and a tin of pedigree
-
Startingover
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 06 Jun 2018, 21:04
- Gender: Male
What can I use during dog's attack ?
arnold cheshire wrote:A dog chew and a tin of pedigree
.... and a can opener.
-
goldy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
- Gender: Male
What can I use during dog's attack ?
Iam lucky with one tiny nip in 13 years but it does make me wonder when the big one is coming. So many bad bites at the moment , I have had many close calls jumped over fences ,managed to fend off with a bag, got the wheelie bin in-between me and the dog ,shouted at the dog and stared him out ( don't recommend)I know a policeman who carried a truncheon and he said he only had to show the dog the truncheon and it would back off
So if you can get something long like a stick you could use this I don't recommend carrying one though. It is said remain calm and stay still but I would dare any manager too stand up to a rotty in a bad mood that's not been fed properly,most of them are wimps
all talk no walk.
So if you can get something long like a stick you could use this I don't recommend carrying one though. It is said remain calm and stay still but I would dare any manager too stand up to a rotty in a bad mood that's not been fed properly,most of them are wimps
all talk no walk.
-
goldy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
- Gender: Male
What can I use during dog's attack ?
Iam lucky with one tiny nip in 13 years but it does make me wonder when the big one is coming. So many bad bites at the moment , I have had many close calls jumped over fences ,managed to fend off with a bag, got the wheelie bin in-between me and the dog ,shouted at the dog and stared him out ( don't recommend)I know a policeman who carried a truncheon and he said he only had to show the dog the truncheon and it would back off
So if you can get something long like a stick you could use this I don't recommend carrying one though. It is said remain calm and stay still but I would dare any manager too stand up to a rotty in a bad mood that's not been fed properly,most of them are wimps
all talk no walk.
So if you can get something long like a stick you could use this I don't recommend carrying one though. It is said remain calm and stay still but I would dare any manager too stand up to a rotty in a bad mood that's not been fed properly,most of them are wimps
all talk no walk.