It’s just blackmail, it won’t happendaveyeff wrote:it is NOT being used for individual performance, but our reps are telling us that if people are continually finishing before their time, then they WILL use 'captured data' from the PDA to justify adding loops to duties.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
I really don't understand what the problem with adding more to a duty thats always done well before time is. When will managers realise people continually finishing early cost RM more than people who continually go over to complete. The former are getting paid for no productivity, the later are working every minute they are paid.daveyeff wrote:it is NOT being used for individual performance, but our reps are telling us that if people are continually finishing before their time, then they WILL use 'captured data' from the PDA to justify adding loops to duties.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
well I totally agree with what you are saying, and I don't finish before my time except on a Tuesday. what i'm saying though, is that as number one posted, the agreement says they WON'T use PDA data against individuals, but reps are telling us the exact opposite. in fact we've got a union meeting on Tuesday to inform the staff that this is exactly what is going to happen.rambo1 wrote:I really don't understand what the problem with adding more to a duty thats always done well before time is. When will managers realise people continually finishing early cost RM more than people who continually go over to complete. The former are getting paid for no productivity, the later are working every minute they are paid.daveyeff wrote:it is NOT being used for individual performance, but our reps are telling us that if people are continually finishing before their time, then they WILL use 'captured data' from the PDA to justify adding loops to duties.
-
GRS
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
- Gender: Female
- Location: South West
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
There’s been numerous threads and posts regarding PDA Actuals over recent months and one thing has become abundantly clear - no-one whether they be from RM, Doms, CWU or staff have a clue on what they are or aren’t being used for. All I’ve read is they are used for a,b,c etc only for the next person to refute that as nonsense and that they are being used for d,e,f etc and so it goes on.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
The organisation always changes its position to suit itself in much the same way that staff work how they want to suit themselves. I'm not really an advocate of racing round to get finish early due the fact that the DOM could then decide to send us back out again with more work. This was happening in my office until all the staff decided to start on time, take breaks, leave loops and basically drag it out using the trolleys. What happened is that mail/packets were getting left and managers often had to do it; as you can imagine loops got left behind and our quality of service badly suffered. Sickness levels shot up because staff were always having the continual battle of leaving loops with managers pushing them hard to take the work otherwise it would mean that they would have to take it!
Also, I suspect it actually costs the business more to recruit any extra staff to cover duties than it would to try and utilise the existing staff and pay them overtime - even if it means some of them would regularly complete the work within their hours. Thats why I think that the PDA actuals should be used sparingly. There are many guys in our office who would dearly love to have an indoors role rather than facing a daily battle with managers about how much work they can have taken off for the day before pounding the streets in all-weathers. Think yourself very lucky
Also, I suspect it actually costs the business more to recruit any extra staff to cover duties than it would to try and utilise the existing staff and pay them overtime - even if it means some of them would regularly complete the work within their hours. Thats why I think that the PDA actuals should be used sparingly. There are many guys in our office who would dearly love to have an indoors role rather than facing a daily battle with managers about how much work they can have taken off for the day before pounding the streets in all-weathers. Think yourself very lucky
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
I was hoping they would be used to inform the customer that “their item will be delivered in 30 minutes” etc. I’m sure it has the capabilities to and it would put us inline with the competitors like DPD, AMAZON and the likes.GRS wrote:There’s been numerous threads and posts regarding PDA Actuals over recent months and one thing has become abundantly clear - no-one whether they be from RM, Doms, CWU or staff have a clue on what they are or aren’t being used for. All I’ve read is they are used for a,b,c etc only for the next person to refute that as nonsense and that they are being used for d,e,f etc and so it goes on.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12196
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
I know that DPD for sure and sometimes Amazon you can see on a map where the driver is, so it's quite possible for the PDAs to allow you to be tracked in real timenumber one wrote:I was hoping they would be used to inform the customer that “their item will be delivered in 30 minutes” etc. I’m sure it has the capabilities to and it would put us inline with the competitors like DPD, AMAZON and the likes.GRS wrote:There’s been numerous threads and posts regarding PDA Actuals over recent months and one thing has become abundantly clear - no-one whether they be from RM, Doms, CWU or staff have a clue on what they are or aren’t being used for. All I’ve read is they are used for a,b,c etc only for the next person to refute that as nonsense and that they are being used for d,e,f etc and so it goes on.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
It is technically possible to view where posties are in real time using live data from the PDA but strictly speaking it is breaking the agreement to do so.mickeymacca wrote:number one wrote:Pda actuals don’t offer “live tracking” the information is only available the following daycpsteve wrote:You say no recruits then you say including recruiting to clear the office. Managers have always been able to send us back out nothing has changed bar the fact they can tell exactly where we are all the time so any stops or going of your route will be flagged up.
Are you sure No.1? A colleague of mine said he was in the office and was shown the PDA info, monitoring the red dot of a postie out on delivery which expands if the postie is stationery (indicates when break is being taken). Was he yanking my chain?
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
The time window for delivery of tracked items was mooted a while back but we haven't heard anything more on it since. I would suspect given there are so many variables within RM that it isn't possible to do. Drivers for the other courier companies really are treated like **** working for well below the minimum wage even on Sundays. I suspect you will not be queueing up to take a job with the likes of Hermes etc.number one wrote:I was hoping they would be used to inform the customer that “their item will be delivered in 30 minutes” etc. I’m sure it has the capabilities to and it would put us inline with the competitors like DPD, AMAZON and the likes.GRS wrote:There’s been numerous threads and posts regarding PDA Actuals over recent months and one thing has become abundantly clear - no-one whether they be from RM, Doms, CWU or staff have a clue on what they are or aren’t being used for. All I’ve read is they are used for a,b,c etc only for the next person to refute that as nonsense and that they are being used for d,e,f etc and so it goes on.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12196
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
RM have had the software for it live for a good few months now, it's just not usedCelgar wrote:The time window for delivery of tracked items was mooted a while back but we haven't heard anything more on it since. I would suspect given there are so many variables within RM that it isn't possible to do. Drivers for the other courier companies really are treated like **** working for well below the minimum wage even on Sundays. I suspect you will not be queueing up to take a job with the likes of Hermes etc.number one wrote:I was hoping they would be used to inform the customer that “their item will be delivered in 30 minutes” etc. I’m sure it has the capabilities to and it would put us inline with the competitors like DPD, AMAZON and the likes.GRS wrote:There’s been numerous threads and posts regarding PDA Actuals over recent months and one thing has become abundantly clear - no-one whether they be from RM, Doms, CWU or staff have a clue on what they are or aren’t being used for. All I’ve read is they are used for a,b,c etc only for the next person to refute that as nonsense and that they are being used for d,e,f etc and so it goes on.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16711
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
I delivered a Tracked item a couple of weeks ago.
The woman had a text at 9.15, when I left the office, saying her package would be delivered in the next 4 hours.
The woman had a text at 9.15, when I left the office, saying her package would be delivered in the next 4 hours.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
A colleague of mine had a phone call last year from his line manager asking why he'd been stood inside business premises for 27mins (he was having a chat and a cup of tea).
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
Ren Hoëk
- Posts: 737
- Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
- Gender: Male
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
clashcityrocker wrote:I delivered a Tracked item a couple of weeks ago.
The woman had a text at 9.15, when I left the office, saying her package would be delivered in the next 4 hours.
Our office was briefed about this a while back and that people must stick to the proper walk order on the frame as to not upset the tracked items. Also had customers confirm that they have received a txt.
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4116
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
I've had someone tell me that recently, my delivery takes 4.5-5 hrs so if they live nearer the end it'll be a bit later than the time they're informed.clashcityrocker wrote:I delivered a Tracked item a couple of weeks ago.
The woman had a text at 9.15, when I left the office, saying her package would be delivered in the next 4 hours.
-
oypostie
- Posts: 918
- Joined: 25 Dec 2007, 13:39
DOM Brings Back Job & Knock
and you think that bothers themIt is technically possible to view where posties are in real time using live data from the PDA but strictly speaking it is breaking the agreement to do so.