ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Jamiechelt »

I would never sign for anything on behalf of anyone.... you shouldn't either .. one thing to say though is people literally scribble in the box and thats it ,, that is not a signature .. anyone could have done that .. i always insist on a proper signature.
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by lightningpostman »

ted_e_bear wrote:
redneck wrote:I used to do this, however I am under a 'stage' at the moment related to this. Things can and do go wrong, and if you get a line manager who follows correct procedures you are in trouble. The incident related to a special which I signed for and posted through the letterbox in the belief that, as they were friends of the family, they would be fine with that.
However the communication lines were not what they should be, a member of the family picked it up and put it under a table without telling others, followed by the proper recipient having a message that it had been delivered and going looking for it, not finding it and phoning the seller with a complaint they had not received it. Even if the item is received in the end you can be in big trouble for not following correct procedures.
Exactly the point I made earlier, it's so easy for this scenario to happen !!!!
a postie i knew and worked alongside for 10+ years, signed for a gents specials for many years until the dreadful day that same gent he was doin a favour for was in financial difficulty , claimed he never signed for that particular special and he lost his job................

damn shame what happened to him, be safe guys do not sign for any specials what so ever
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Postie45 »

Murdoch wrote:How do you guys deal with this?
"No"
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Postie45 »

by the way to the people who do it
thats great the 50th time
the 1000th time
the 1,500th time
but on occasion 1,764 when the recipient complains its your arse.
Enjoy it while it lasts, youre playing with a ticking timebomb
tick...tick....tick......
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Creditshampoo »

Murdoch wrote:
danterossetti wrote:I deal with this by explaining to the customer that I am not allowed to sign for them.
Problem is, customers don't seem to beleive that, due to the post directly below yours.

It doesn’t matter what they think. If they wanna complain to head office they’re more than welcome.
I’d be secure in knowing my job is job by not signing for things. If it went missing you’re the person who gets the blame.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Sir Henry »

Two colleagues have this particular sword of Dumbocles hanging over their heads this Xmas. I can guarantee that when they're looking at their families enjoying Xmas over the next few days they'll be wishing that they'd told the customers to jog the f**k on.
Last edited by Sir Henry on 31 Aug 2019, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Wullie10
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 30 Jul 2017, 12:07
Gender: Male
Location: Retired

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Wullie10 »

i have a rural job , £600 tips, know everyone by their first names and i'd never sign anything. It's the sender who needs the signature and i don't know them.... this is what you have to remember. If you posted a special with £1000 inside and the postman signed for it , you'd be fuming. The signature is for the sender not the recipient.
Last edited by Wullie10 on 24 Dec 2018, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Murdoch »

Creditshampoo wrote: It doesn’t matter what they think. If they wanna complain to head office they’re more than welcome.
I’d be secure in knowing my job is job by not signing for things. If it went missing you’re the person who gets the blame.
Yeah, I was making the point that when I give them the "we can't sign for stuff" lecture, it's completely undermined by the fact that at least two other posties regularly sign for their items.

Makes the interatction with these customers needlessly difficult, because other people aren't doing the job properly.

But yeah, that's going to be my new comeback... to hand them the customer service number, and tell them to call up and complain, if they think i should be signing for stuff...
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Postie45 »

and that exact interaction is another way the posties who are signing for the letters are going to get found out too, hopefully theyre never off on annual leave....
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by leolion855 »

i would never do it, however if the customer signed for something then decided to be arsey for whatever reason, make a complaint saying they hadnt received it, then the dom shows them the signature and they reply its not theres (even though they signed it) how do you prove it?

I have plenty of customers who just squiqqle a mark on the pda and tell me it looks nothing like there signature while there doing it!
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Sir Henry »

They look at the PDA Actuals, see it was signed on the doorstep and while it's no proof, it's a good indicator.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Redvannon
Posts: 59
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 20:09
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Redvannon »

Isn't there a procedure should you be delivering to a disabled (or temporarily disabled) person though? Say someone who'd got severe arthritis or someone who'd broken both arms for instance?
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by postmanzach »

aiden01 wrote:
postmanzach wrote:
Natagora wrote:If it’s an agreement between customer and postman, and the postman is 100% sure that the item is going to the correct address, then fine, just post it through. Being on a round for some time gives you the chance to strike up a bond with customers, and the last thing they want when they get home is a slip telling them to go to the delivery office to collect something that would have easily gone through the letterbox. I’ve been on my currrent round for over two years now, and post specials and recorded stuff literally every day. The customers appreciate me doing this! If it’s someone I don’t know then obviously play it safe and leave a card but that’s very rare.
Yep same, but rarely do it for a special. I got one guy keeps getting recordeds so I got him to put it in writing that I can sign for them. For many in rough areas it’s probably safer than with a neighbour! Still though be careful can lose your job over it
WHY do it if you know you can lose your job ffs :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
Why drive a car when you could die through no fault of your own. It’s a minor risk. I got so
Many more tips this year and with cards saying thanks for going extra mile to make sure we get our parcels. I know these people.
But yeah #1Folllw the rules
I definitely don’t advice it but it’s unusual circumstances where by he’s signed a letter and manager has cleared it. But good point il get Dom to counter sign on to. Luckily my boss is sound and if something did happen I know who’s side he’s on.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by redneck »

Natagora wrote:Look, you can either do this job in the cold, faceless, follow-procedure-to-the-letter manner that so many bores seem to on here, or you can do it with a bit of class, and style, and treat each delivery individually.
I know which way my customers prefer!
I hope you are luckier than me, Merry Xmas!
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by aiden01 »

postmanzach wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
postmanzach wrote:
Natagora wrote:If it’s an agreement between customer and postman, and the postman is 100% sure that the item is going to the correct address, then fine, just post it through. Being on a round for some time gives you the chance to strike up a bond with customers, and the last thing they want when they get home is a slip telling them to go to the delivery office to collect something that would have easily gone through the letterbox. I’ve been on my currrent round for over two years now, and post specials and recorded stuff literally every day. The customers appreciate me doing this! If it’s someone I don’t know then obviously play it safe and leave a card but that’s very rare.
Yep same, but rarely do it for a special. I got one guy keeps getting recordeds so I got him to put it in writing that I can sign for them. For many in rough areas it’s probably safer than with a neighbour! Still though be careful can lose your job over it
WHY do it if you know you can lose your job ffs :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
Why drive a car when you could die through no fault of your own. It’s a minor risk. I got so
Many more tips this year and with cards saying thanks for going extra mile to make sure we get our parcels. I know these people.
But yeah #1Folllw the rules
I definitely don’t advice it but it’s unusual circumstances where by he’s signed a letter and manager has cleared it. But good point il get Dom to counter sign on to. Luckily my boss is sound and if something did happen I know who’s side he’s on.
Do you actually believe he will be on your side :hmmmm