ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivering parcels and packets

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by greengiant »

So customers are idiots for asking you not to throw their parcels over their fence? :no no

If you hate everything about the job, then perhaps it may benefit you to look for something different in the new year? I can sympathise about having mental health issues / depression. I have issues with that as well. But for me, this is the best job I've had. Out and about every day, rather than being stuck in an office or a supermarket all day stacking shelves etc. I do hope that whatever job you move onto, you don't end up hating everything about that as well...
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by p5aul789 »

greengiant wrote:So customers are idiots for asking you not to throw their parcels over their fence? :no no

If you hate everything about the job, then perhaps it may benefit you to look for something different in the new year? I can sympathise about having mental health issues / depression. I have issues with that as well. But for me, this is the best job I've had. Out and about every day, rather than being stuck in an office or a supermarket all day stacking shelves etc. I do hope that whatever job you move onto, you don't end up hating everything about that as well...



That's not what I said Greengiant about parcels over fences. 99% of people are happy with this arrangement. But there's always one who has to complain, and it's always for a reason that is unjustified!
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by greengiant »

p5aul789 wrote:
greengiant wrote:So customers are idiots for asking you not to throw their parcels over their fence? :no no

If you hate everything about the job, then perhaps it may benefit you to look for something different in the new year? I can sympathise about having mental health issues / depression. I have issues with that as well. But for me, this is the best job I've had. Out and about every day, rather than being stuck in an office or a supermarket all day stacking shelves etc. I do hope that whatever job you move onto, you don't end up hating everything about that as well...



That's not what I said Greengiant about parcels over fences. 99% of people are happy with this arrangement. But there's always one who has to complain, and it's always for a reason that is unjustified!
I certainly wouldn't be happy if my postie / or courier left parcels over my back fence, or propped up between my wheelie bins,or behind a plant pot.... Seems a justifiable reason to complain IMHO if you are leaving packets out exposed to the elements. The only safe place is with the recipient, or a neighbour, on the "official" safe place as nominated by the recipient and what it says on the packet. Even then that is at the discretion of the OPG. I've had safe places on packets which says "Behind Wheelie Bin". Needless to say that gets p739d if the recipient or neighbour isn't in. Don't forget that the "customer" is actually the person / company who is sending the item, not the recipient.
mentaltheshots
Posts: 36
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 10:25
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by mentaltheshots »

When I first started (29 odd years ago) I put a packet through an open window, it landed on the sofa. did not think anything of it, few days later complaint came through, sofa was covered in oil. apparently the packet was covered in oil (rolling about in van). After that never put anything through windows.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by CPTNemoUK »

mentaltheshots wrote:When I first started (29 odd years ago) I put a packet through an open window, it landed on the sofa. did not think anything of it, few days later complaint came through, sofa was covered in oil. apparently the packet was covered in oil (rolling about in van). After that never put anything through windows.
A guy did that in our office. The person complained to say he scratched the tv. The dom went round and noticed the tv was on the opposite side of the room. He basically told them to do one :left:
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by joewyan »

p5aul789 wrote:
postmanzach wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:It doesn’t bother me if I’ve just written out the card and then they answer. Other times people will see you walking up the drive and answer the door straight away, so that counteracts it. :thumbup
Everything bothers me about this job.....I hate the job and hate everything about it!! I certainly don't do this rubbish out of choice!
Maybe it’s you not the job that’s the problem. The problem is in your mind, your outlook. Try some
Mindfulness meditation or perhaps a desk job in an office is more for you.
I never wanted to do this job. I suffer from depression and the exercise does me good and is the only good thing about the job as far as I can see!

I put packets over a fence or behind a gate because I am trying to do people a favour. 99% of the time there is not a problem except for the odd idiot! It's also easier and quicker than having to fill out a 739 card.

I get sick of the same questions; "Do I need to sign for it"? "Anything for number 35"? When you're yards away from the house! "I don't want it, if it's a bill" etc etc. These questions always come from the f**king plebs!

How anyone can actually enjoy this job is beyond me!
I’m sure you might think that you are doing them a favour but I don’t consider it a favour. The other week my postie had dropped a parcel over my fence (or placed as you prefer to say) and it caused 2 DVD cases to be damaged and as they were Christmas presents they had to be replaced by amazon. I had to take the time to return them at the post office because of this “favour” and of course RM will be out of pocket because of it as they will complain to RM.
For me, deliver to the occupier, to a neighbour or 739 every time
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by Tomolo208 »

This thread highlights the misinformation which occurs in different offices.

You say it's way quicker. Why are you in such a rush?

Change your outlook on the job, I used to have your mentality.

Remember, we are a quality service. We are not about speed. If you have to knock a neighbour and it say takes 2 minutes, then that's what the company expects of you.

You get paid more to do the job properly.

Either claim the overtime or don't take the whole round out with you.

You say 99% of people dont have a problem, but that 1% could cost the company more than the seconds you've saved by not writing out a card.

Think of all the people employed in complaints and lost packages, then the time of your workplace coach and then your manager to write up the investigation report. It's expensive mate, every complaint costs big money directly and the knock on effect could be that the customer might change to a cheaper courier if we are just going to do what yodel does anyway.

We have to be the best, simples.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by postmanzach »

Very well said sir!
Quality over cost cutting is what royal should be about and we as employees can make that happen.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by postmanzach »

Try CBD brothers green edition oil. Definitely has helped me stay calm and think more clearly.