ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivering parcels in the dark

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Bboingg
Posts: 69
Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 20:35
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by Bboingg »

I use my own torch - Ansmann Future T150 - strong enough to light up the house numbers from down the driveway.

A strong torch makes it much easier.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by Brandy »

It must be awful for you posties nowadays,years ago when I first started we had to be out of the office by 0645,ok I know it was dark in the winter months but at least we knew it would get light,whereas now you will be racing against time,trying to get the job done before it gets dark, getting more tired,chance of more mistakes,possibly more accidents,do those who run RM ever think about what its like to be a postie? :speak to the hand
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by miles_peters »

of course its a health and safety issue if RM to do not equip you with the correct equipment to do you job safely.
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by lightningpostman »

what happens if you have a accident on duty is there any manager working at the times during your shift?

what happens if you get run over, slip and break a leg?


i know our office managers go home around 1pm latest most days as soon as every one leaves the office to start there walks
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by Woody Guthrie »

what happens if you have a accident on duty is there any manager working at the times during your shift?

what happens if you get run over, slip and break a leg?
Call an ambulance.
Only dead fish follow the current
paulsmd
Posts: 88
Joined: 12 Oct 2008, 09:04
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by paulsmd »

polar bear wrote:My manager wants me to work from 1pm and not finishing till around 8pm.
After a week of doing it I’ve realised how difficult it is and I don’t like finishing at this time.
When it gets dark, it’s impossible to see door numbers and I m constantly getting out the van and going up to a door to see a number it’s horrendous. Also it’s difficult to read the addresses on the parcels. It takes ages.
Is this against health and safety
Could be against local by laws. Where I live its against the by law to knock on anyone's door after 7pm.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by number one »

paulsmd wrote:
polar bear wrote:My manager wants me to work from 1pm and not finishing till around 8pm.
After a week of doing it I’ve realised how difficult it is and I don’t like finishing at this time.
When it gets dark, it’s impossible to see door numbers and I m constantly getting out the van and going up to a door to see a number it’s horrendous. Also it’s difficult to read the addresses on the parcels. It takes ages.
Is this against health and safety
Could be against local by laws. Where I live its against the by law to knock on anyone's door after 7pm.
Can’t see anybody being arrested for that
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by lightningpostman »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
what happens if you have a accident on duty is there any manager working at the times during your shift?

what happens if you get run over, slip and break a leg?
Call an ambulance.
Then who will enter it in a acident report book and log the accident according to procedure, then go through what happeded and exame the area the incident happened?
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by number one »

lightningpostman wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:
what happens if you have a accident on duty is there any manager working at the times during your shift?

what happens if you get run over, slip and break a leg?
Call an ambulance.
Then who will enter it in a acident report book and log the accident according to procedure, then go through what happeded and exame the area the incident happened?
The manager the following day
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by Navalron »

I've still got 2 brand new, never been used RM torches with the clip at the back so as they hang off your jacket at letter reading eye level and another bit lights up where your walking. They were the ones that came out about 92/93 ish and were that good that RM did what they always do with kit that works, they discontinued them. Fannies. :hmmmm :wave
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by Brandy »

number one wrote:
lightningpostman wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:
what happens if you have a accident on duty is there any manager working at the times during your shift?

what happens if you get run over, slip and break a leg?
Call an ambulance.
Then who will enter it in a acident report book and log the accident according to procedure, then go through what happeded and exame the area the incident happened?
The manager the following day
Then they brush it under the carpet,so it wont effect their bonus :shock: :shhhhh
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by postslippete »

The only thing you can do is deliver fewer parcels than what management expect you to because its obviously going to take you longer to deliver parcels in the dark, even if people tend to be in at that time. I'm not sure its against health & safety even though I would assume it to be more likely that you may slip/trip if you can't really see where you are going. Not all streets are well lit for example and a torch can only do so much. I would be more wary of being mugged if I were to walk/drive round where I deliver at that time.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Pershkeop
Posts: 3
Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 21:23
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by Pershkeop »

I have also been on late delivery ,from about 3 pm the school traffic starts bumper to bumper then it gets dark then rush hour everything takes teice as long.The van today had no inside lights in back,lucky I had a touch,you really notice how many houses do not have any numbers.Also nobody likes answering the door when it’s dark.
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels in the dark

Post by p5aul789 »

Pershkeop wrote:I have also been on late delivery ,from about 3 pm the school traffic starts bumper to bumper then it gets dark then rush hour everything takes teice as long.The van today had no inside lights in back,lucky I had a touch,you really notice how many houses do not have any numbers.Also nobody likes answering the door when it’s dark.
I hate working in the dark. Apart from not being able to read the mail or see house numbers, Psychologically it slows you down.

The other week I was delivering around 5pm in the dark. I went to one house and the idiot has fastened his garden gate with a chain. I asked why? And he muttered something about work in the front garden. He said " I did'nt expect you to deliver at this time of day".

No one expects the Spanish inquisition either!

I was in a mood, and said to him rather curtly, (as is my way) "Do you want your mail or not"?

Regarding people not wanting to answer the door when it's dark. I had a parcel for one house. The women brushed aside the front room curtain to see who was there. I thought "oh good, shes coming to the door", but she did'nt...so 739 card. You'll have to collect your parcel now. Serves you right....idiot!

I don't suffer fools gladly!