ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas Tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by wacko74 »

ted_e_bear wrote:Been on the same duty 3 yrs, "looked after" loads of the regular parcel receivers using their garden sheds etc,also already delivered lots of incorrectly addressed Xmas cards to the right houses, anyway I'm safe enough from the taxman, so far.......fuk all !!

Same for me, regardless of whether I've been a duty holder, floater or reserve I always consider I've been polite, efficient and helpful to all the customers I've ever dealt with in 17 years... taking pkts to neighbours or relatives, delivering mis-addressed items, rectifying other posties mistakes, generally always willing to ''go the extra mile'' yet I've never received more than about £30 total tips in any given year.

Yet posties who are miserable, awkward, unhelpful tossers get £300, £500 £700 or even more

I just don't get it.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Christmas Tips

Post by clashcityrocker »

I once took over a post round in late October. It was rumoured to be excellent for xmas tips.
One particular household got loads of mail and packets. i was always very polite and attentive to the woman who answered the door.
Come Christmas Eve and I took a large parcel to the door. A completely different woman came to the door.
I had spent 2 months being polite and attentive to their cleaner.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Celgar »

If you are going to follow the HMRCs rules then tips need to be written on a tax return along with bank/building society interest accrued above one thousand pounds. Of course given that the majority of taxes go towards paying benefits to some who would rather not work you may feel resistant to doing so.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Sir Henry »

Welfare got 14% of our tax contributions in 2018. Out of that how much actually goes to 'benefit' scroungers' and not people who have worked and contributed but find themselves now in need?

As near to f**k all as makes no odds in the grand scheme of things.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Sir Henry »

And the grand total of tips I have received thus far is about average. SFA.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by wacko74 »

The best (worst) Christmas tip story I have, it was Christmas eve a few years back, house with a long steep driveway that I'd just trudged down and back up again, just as I'd got back to the pavement the owner came to the door and shouted "hang on postie I've got something for you"

I headed back down the drive and stood at the door waiting for him to reappear.... he eventually came back, wished me a merry Christmas and handed me a huge bundle of junk mail for the previous occupants that he must have been saving up all year.

t**t
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I would of told him sorry can't take them. You need to take them to a post office. :left:
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Celgar »

Sir Henry wrote:Welfare got 14% of our tax contributions in 2018. Out of that how much actually goes to 'benefit' scroungers' and not people who have worked and contributed but find themselves now in need?

As near to f**k all as makes no odds in the grand scheme of things.
The HMRC occasionally sends letters out to some tax payers giving full breakdowns on where their tax & NIC has been spent. I have received these letters at least twice and they are quite interesting reading.
In the 2016-2017 tax year I paid 5212 pounds in total tax and NIC of which 1267 pounds were spent on 'Welfare'. This was the highest figure on the list and formed 24% of the total amount.
The next highest four you can probably guess but they were:
Health: 1058
State Pensions: 672
Education: 641
National Debt Interest: 287.
Gives you an insight into the composition of the national debt.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
zombiepostman
Posts: 41
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 18:13
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by zombiepostman »

If you get tips the way to look at it is, a personal gift(not taxable)but if its a tip for your service it is taxable,
So all my tips are gifts as for bribery that is a joke as no customer should get treated differently(and they dont on my round apart from the good looking ones !!!!
dlee1
Posts: 1
Joined: 17 Dec 2018, 09:11
Gender: Female

Christmas Tips

Post by dlee1 »

Hello!

My name's Dulcie Lee, I'm a journalist for the BBC News website.

If this post isn't appropriate then I apologise and please do delete it.

I'm writing a story about whether Christmas tipping is still going strong among posties, binmen, milkmen and the like.

I'd love to speak to someone about their experience of getting (or not getting) Christmas tips.

If anyone is up for speaking to me about this (you can stay anonymous if you like), please message me on here on on dulcie.lee@bbc.co.uk - I'd ideally want to speak to someone asap, if not sometime today. Can do over the phone too.

Thanks!

Dulcie

PS - FYI Royal Mail confirmed to me that "Royal Mail regards the giving of Christmas tips as a matter between customers and individual postmen and postwomen."
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Christmas Tips

Post by NWpostie »

I got £1m and 4 "offers" from housewives :whistle
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

Who gives the Postman £30 anyway, I,m lucky to get 30 pence out of the tight gits I deliver to
:Boo hoo!
wallop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 251
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by wallop »

Someone gave me £60 the day they moved out In November.
WDPostman
Posts: 4
Joined: 19 Dec 2018, 17:03
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by WDPostman »

Only a fiver so far
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by panch1989 »

Not a penny. Fair few in the office are the same aswell. It seems it's dying out with the generations