ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Whats this final week going to be like?
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
We were all finished about 10 oclock last Christmas Eve (well the 23rd). It was really light.
-
TheProgster
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 25 Sep 2010, 23:42
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
Ok my choice to go over the finish time on certain days...let me give you an example I estimate that we will go over the finish time by 1 hour but the amount of mail we have here now is 1 and half hours of work over our normal time to complete it all...the finish time is 3pm I must leave office by 4pm because I have a dentist appointment at 4.15 I am willing to go over an hour but no more so I will have to leave the other 30 minutes of work here in the frame...isn’t it better for someone spare in the office (plenty of people in the office this time of the year no annual leave allowed) to do that 30 mins work then we do other 1 hours work I think this is called working together as a team to deliver the Mail the best we can...and if manager is not paying us overtime because we are leaving 30 mins work then we will bring that work back and it’s a failure which doesn’t make him look good...so what I am trying to say is with my manager there’s no negotiation or compromise so that’s the kind of person I’m dealing with.Postie45 wrote:why do you continue to do OT when manager has made his position very clear ? (idiotic though it is)TheProgster wrote:Absolutely Shite with a Capitol S...Here’s the joke in our office muppet of a manager says you can’t claim overtime if your leaving a loop/bag of mail...] leaving a loop no says manager you can’t claim overtime if you are leaving mail...bollocks then we will bring mail back so delivery failure for him there’s no negotiation...trouble is yesterday sat 15th left a loop then went over an hour claimed an hour on sheet managers all gone home doubt if I’ll get paid....Any thoughts? Or similar circumstances where you work?
Last edited by TheProgster on 16 Dec 2018, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12196
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
There must be loads going manual on wave 2 of sequencing. Way more boxes than what can be sequenced in the allotted time for a batch on wave 2ted_e_bear wrote:My own thoughts exactly,expect the worst and anything less is a bonus, judging by the amount of cards that we collected Thurs/Fri collections on delivery compared to last week or so seems that folk are posting them later,I'd agree I reckon there'll be plenty right up to Xmas Eve and beyond.GRS wrote:Best advice is to expect the worst and anything better than that is a bonus. Too many blokes go round saying “ah that’s it - it’ll drop off next week and all be over by midweek” and are then as miserable as sin when that scenario doesn’t play out as psychologically they have switched down and can’t get back up for it. Also don’t listen to any managers saying that the MC is clear - it’s bullshit and you get a nasty surprise the next day. As I say expect it to be busy and you’ll be fine.
We seem to fail most days throughout the year anyway. Probably the only thing keeping us from failing much atm is the number of xmas casualspostietom wrote:I suspect it's gonna be crap in the early part of the week and will steady off as the week goes on; Specials will go through the roof as the week goes on though. No real way of knowing though, our mail centre is failing constantly which doesn't help things.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
Think we have more acting managers doing eff all than we have xmas casuals.SpacePhoenix wrote:There must be loads going manual on wave 2 of sequencing. Way more boxes than what can be sequenced in the allotted time for a batch on wave 2ted_e_bear wrote:My own thoughts exactly,expect the worst and anything less is a bonus, judging by the amount of cards that we collected Thurs/Fri collections on delivery compared to last week or so seems that folk are posting them later,I'd agree I reckon there'll be plenty right up to Xmas Eve and beyond.GRS wrote:Best advice is to expect the worst and anything better than that is a bonus. Too many blokes go round saying “ah that’s it - it’ll drop off next week and all be over by midweek” and are then as miserable as sin when that scenario doesn’t play out as psychologically they have switched down and can’t get back up for it. Also don’t listen to any managers saying that the MC is clear - it’s bullshit and you get a nasty surprise the next day. As I say expect it to be busy and you’ll be fine.
We seem to fail most days throughout the year anyway. Probably the only thing keeping us from failing much atm is the number of xmas casualspostietom wrote:I suspect it's gonna be crap in the early part of the week and will steady off as the week goes on; Specials will go through the roof as the week goes on though. No real way of knowing though, our mail centre is failing constantly which doesn't help things.
-
grandypants
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
Does anyone remember when Christmas eve was really really quiet and the week between Christmas and new year was that dead we would come in a hour and a half later for that week. happy days
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
Snap! No way am I going over on Christmas Eve, despite there being a 'clear office' policy apparently.CPTNemoUK wrote:If that's the case. My office better get themselves organised. I have been bringing back 2-3 loops back a day. If they think I'm going over Christmas eve they are in for a shock.kookoo32 wrote:Can't see it dropping off at all. I've a feeling Christmas Eve will be horrendous. Monday is usually one of our busiest days of the week and I expect it to be even worse - I reckon they will have had all weekend to give the mail centre a good clear out.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2041
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Whats this final week going to be like?
My partner & I have already decided to give away 4 or 5 loops Christmas Eve regardless 
-
TheProgster
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 25 Sep 2010, 23:42
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
Were you? So it seems you have the smallest delivery duty in the whole of the UK...You really should have helped your colleagues if you had all that spare time left...I can’t see how you can finish that early? You must have a P**s easy duty the thing is when summer arrives and you finish around that time again your PDA will show how early you finish and you will have more calls put on your duty to fall in line with everyone else in your delivery office.postietom wrote:We were all finished about 10 oclock last Christmas Eve (well the 23rd). It was really light.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
Well, 't'is the season of giving and all that and four of five loops is very commendable indeed. Well done, old chapmattycash wrote:My partner & I have already decided to give away 4 or 5 loops Christmas Eve regardless
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
I'm a reserve. Last Christmas eve was literally like a light Tuesday; as it was a Saturday and we'd broke up loads of us went to the pub aftewards.TheProgster wrote:Were you? So it seems you have the smallest delivery duty in the whole of the UK...You really should have helped your colleagues if you had all that spare time left...I can’t see how you can finish that early? You must have a P**s easy duty the thing is when summer arrives and you finish around that time again your PDA will show how early you finish and you will have more calls put on your duty to fall in line with everyone else in your delivery office.postietom wrote:We were all finished about 10 oclock last Christmas Eve (well the 23rd). It was really light.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
Well then hit him with the line,TheProgster wrote:Ok my choice to go over the finish time on certain days...let me give you an example I estimate that we will go over the finish time by 1 hour but the amount of mail we have here now is 1 and half hours of work over our normal time to complete it all...the finish time is 3pm I must leave office by 4pm because I have a dentist appointment at 4.15 I am willing to go over an hour but no more so I will have to leave the other 30 minutes of work here in the frame...isn’t it better for someone spare in the office (plenty of people in the office this time of the year no annual leave allowed) to do that 30 mins work then we do other 1 hours work I think this is called working together as a team to deliver the Mail the best we can...and if manager is not paying us overtime because we are leaving 30 mins work then we will bring that work back and it’s a failure which doesn’t make him look good...so what I am trying to say is with my manager there’s no negotiation or compromise so that’s the kind of person I’m dealing with.Postie45 wrote:why do you continue to do OT when manager has made his position very clear ? (idiotic though it is)TheProgster wrote:Absolutely Shite with a Capitol S...Here’s the joke in our office muppet of a manager says you can’t claim overtime if your leaving a loop/bag of mail...] leaving a loop no says manager you can’t claim overtime if you are leaving mail...bollocks then we will bring mail back so delivery failure for him there’s no negotiation...trouble is yesterday sat 15th left a loop then went over an hour claimed an hour on sheet managers all gone home doubt if I’ll get paid....Any thoughts? Or similar circumstances where you work?
If we can't claim overtime if we're leaving an hr worth, then we won't. We'll be back on time and you'll have 2 hr worth to deliver or fail. Simple as. We don't come to work for fun, we come to earn money. Nobody should work for free.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
Me thinks he was telling porkies . Either that or it's one of those offices that time forgot, and they still start at 5am and have the last wave by 6.30 and are out the door just after 7. Even then you'd still have to have the smallest round ever, to get delivered in 3 hrs! So conclusion is they were fibbingTheProgster wrote:Were you? So it seems you have the smallest delivery duty in the whole of the UK...You really should have helped your colleagues if you had all that spare time left...I can’t see how you can finish that early? You must have a P**s easy duty the thing is when summer arrives and you finish around that time again your PDA will show how early you finish and you will have more calls put on your duty to fall in line with everyone else in your delivery office.postietom wrote:We were all finished about 10 oclock last Christmas Eve (well the 23rd). It was really light.
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
No waypostietom wrote:We were all finished about 10 oclock last Christmas Eve (well the 23rd). It was really light.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
To be fair, I was probably exagerating. We were told we could come early and finish early if we so wanted as it was Christmas. I probably got done about 10:30 and certainly wasn't alone. It was as I say, like a very light Tuesday.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Whats this final week going to be like?
Probably 7 D2Ds for Christmas week?