ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Does anyone actually like the job??

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by GT85 »

Some days it's the best job ever and other days it's the worst, normally down to management what type of day it is.
Outside is deffo a lot better than inside though.
We're all here because we're not all there
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by Seymour Buts »

If you're from a different background like yourself or myself then your view is different; the view in unionised industries to to always complain as you should always want better. It's quite understandable to be honest and many of the benefits we enjoy are because of this view. There are certain drawbacks to it in my opinion, there's people in my office that are so lazy or uncompetent they should've been got rid of years ago but that's the trade off for job security. I do really enjoy the job, days like today are crap with the freezing rain in 0 degrees but there's good and bad in all jobs. I'll never leave now of my own accord.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by rubberbond »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Sink Estate, shootings and police raids on a regular basis, but the people are brilliant and even the gang bangers know me.

I love this job, better than being a call centre operator as I was before.

Only the people who like a job will moan about it, those that don't care won't even think about it after the clock stops.
Has the Walpole Estate moved upmarket then?
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by FirstPost »

I see it like this, I'm outside in the fresh air, getting exercise, paid holiday, get paid weekly, and work reasonable hours with OT needed if you want it
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by Sir Henry »

""He has the power to render us happy or unhappy; to make our service light or burdensome; a pleasure or a toil. Say that his power lies in words and looks; in things so slight and insignificant that it is impossible to add and count ’em up: what then? The happiness he gives, is quite as great as if it cost a fortune"
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by GRS »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Sink Estate, shootings and police raids on a regular basis, but the people are brilliant and even the gang bangers know me.

I love this job, better than being a call centre operator as I was before.

Only the people who like a job will moan about it, those that don't care won't even think about it after the clock stops.
That is strange because I love the job even after 28 years (indoors & outdoors) yet I never think about it the minute I walk out of the place until I go in the next day yet those who I work with that moan constantly really do hate it.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by LaggyBand »

THE JOB - Very much like

WHY I MOAN - Annual Leave system is a mess; Overrunning procedure is a mess; double standards everywhere - office reported clear when it isn’t, people using private cars to deliver, follow all these rules that you can get sacked for not following, but don’t you dare take the time to follow them.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by Sir Henry »

I moan cos it's fun with like minded individuals.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Edward Hunter
Posts: 680
Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by Edward Hunter »

postietom wrote:If you're from a different background like yourself or myself then your view is different; the view in unionised industries to to always complain as you should always want better. It's quite understandable to be honest and many of the benefits we enjoy are because of this view. There are certain drawbacks to it in my opinion, there's people in my office that are so lazy or uncompetent they should've been got rid of years ago but that's the trade off for job security. I do really enjoy the job, days like today are crap with the freezing rain in 0 degrees but there's good and bad in all jobs. I'll never leave now of my own accord.
I dont think you can be lazy to work on deliveries. I mean its full on these days. Not a lot of leeway to mess about. Bitd the actual work got in the way of larking around, lol. Now its just a bitch fest (constant whining about hes got, shes got, its not fair.) Run round like an idiot after moaning to the DOM that you cant complete, but still get back first, on time, then repeat the following day. Its amusing, but draining at the same time. Its Royal Mail lala land, and yes i still kind of love it
:crazy:
blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8906
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by blue1873 »

rambo1 wrote:Rico Back ?
Yeah he probably thinks it's like taking money from a baby :dance
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by Celgar »

I still enjoy the job otherwise I wouldn't stick with it. I think there are posties, often who have decades of service and remember how it was in the 'good old days', that are counting the days if not years until they can retire.
P&L duties work to a degree if you get along with your partner and work well together but even then it appears to be struggle to get all the mail in the vans. I'm on a rural delivery thankfully so I don't have that to struggle with.
There are too many problem areas to list regarding how RM is run some of which are endemic across the UK and others which are more particular to RM. I'm not sure if I have confidence in RM to come out the other side. I have my money where my mouth is in that I still have the shares from the SAYE bought at 3.60 meanwhile they are predicted to be heading down to 2.50.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by DrSatan »

I like the job overall but I do find it gets a bit boring sometimes. Office politics has to be the worst thing about this job. There are worse jobs, but there are also better jobs.

Dont think i can handle doing this job until almost 70! So I'm always on the look out. With the semi decent hourly wage, I'm not going to leave and take a pay cut unless the other job is that much better.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by greengiant »

Well it beats walking the streets :wink:
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by Brandy »

To be honest it all depends on management,if you have a decent,fair manager and lino then you are lucky,I was unlucky mine were both nasty pieces of work.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by Navalron »

koolishy67 wrote:I am happy with my job done worse than this job. Great pay, nice hours, paid sick leave, paid annual leave, free shares, good pension.
Yes and a lot of posties, me included went on strike, some for several weeks at a time for all these GREAT CONDITIONS that come with the job. Never forget that RM WILL come for them and sooner rather than later. I saw it start in the mid 90s and especially with the way BACKWARD agreement in 2000. Splitting us up into different groups, some still getting paid m/r, different hours for delivery/MCs like 41.5 he's on walk and 39 in MCs, and even splitting up the workforce in the MCs into, distribution,processing, ect. Like I said enjoy the terms and conditions but when they come for them at least have the decency and balls to fight for them and not well them for £350. Remember that 20 minute break. :arrrghhh