ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Knee injuries

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Knee injuries

Post by tommyrep »

officernopants wrote:Do not listen to "look for another job" it's extremely irresponsible advice and things like that make me question the value of this forum, if you previously had no knee problems before you started and if a professional signs to confirm a problem then RM cannot just dismiss you. They will look for other suitable work and if that's not possible it's the evr ihr kind of routes.
Sorry, but it’s not extremely irresponsible to advise anyone that has an ongoing knee problem that being a postie “ long term “ is not an option to improve his/her general health prospects. However hard it seems, What do you suggest ?
The prospect of being a cripple for the rest of your life for the honour of posting letters for RM, who in truth do not care a jot about anyone’s long term health. Would that be your advice?
It was realistic advice. To continue would be futile, another job could fulfill his/her needs and provide some quality of life in later years. Being a postie does not provide a working life with any guarantees, I was only being truthful although it may have come across as being harsh. IF and I repeat IF the problem is going to persist now would be the time to consider if pounding the streets on foot for 6 hours in all weathers is going to be a price worth paying.
Light duties will not be the answer long term. You may reconsider YOUR advice about RM being unable to dismiss !!
Any alternative employment option ? do not think for one minute RM will strive to find it ? .?
You need to take a reality check on this subject !
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Knee injuries

Post by Navalron »

Postie45 wrote:surely he`d qualify for IHR at the very least ?
But now there's no more DEFINED BENEFIT pension, then the IHR route is not as financially lucrative as it once was. Basically it's six months wages. And if you get the 3 years ESA (employment support allowance) and you have a partner that works = you get pennies. Also if your lump sum is more than £16,000 or you have more than that in the bank you start to lose any money (ESA) that your due, a pound for every £250 above the £16,000 or £4 per week for every £1,000 above the £16,000 allowed. So much for the government being on your side for saving and you wouldn't get pension credit either if at that age. How on earth the union AGREED to bullshit like this when they had a massive mandate is beyond me. Posties who are now starting to leave after the pension changes are just starting to realize, just how much money they have been conned out of. :evil/mad
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Knee injuries

Post by Postie45 »

thats all true but its a better option than just handing in notice today, may as well stick around for the £16-20k ?
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Knee injuries

Post by tommyrep »

Postie45 wrote:thats all true but its a better option than just handing in notice today, may as well stick around for the £16-20k ?
I should say and tell the poster, obviously even with only 3 years service, he should exhaust all avenues of leaving with something and NOT just walking away with nowt. Just in case my view is not being clear enough.
Full wages for 6 months then half wage for a further 6 months- with a doctors certificate to cover his unfit for postal work condition.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Knee injuries

Post by DB1100 »

Take up cycling,daft as it sounds it's brilliant for bad knees,it strengthens the muscles around the knee and eases the pain,don't take any over the counter pills such as ibruprofen or aspirin they only create other problems,I've seen a couple of NHS physio's 1 was very good and gave me the above advice and 1 was useless he told me there was nothing I could do about it and I would have to wait till I could have a knee op,my knee isn't perfect now but I get no pain from it at work I regularly do 100 miles a week on a bike,I don't do heavy squats at the gym and I can't run very fast but general day to day is fine with no medication,I agree 100% with the lose weight comment,start taking a tumeric supplement and cut out sugar as much as possible and don't give up hope,but my best advice is start riding a bike,not racing but just general casual riding.
For we were soldiers once,and young
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Knee injuries

Post by cpsteve »

You should go back to the doctor they can send you for a scan then you can either have an op or like me see a physio who will give you exercises that you can do to stop the pain it worked for me bad pain to nothing by stretching the muscles of course it may not be your answer but worth a try good luck.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Knee injuries

Post by greengiant »

DB1100 wrote:Take up cycling,daft as it sounds it's brilliant for bad knees,it strengthens the muscles around the knee and eases the pain,don't take any over the counter pills such as ibruprofen or aspirin they only create other problems,I've seen a couple of NHS physio's 1 was very good and gave me the above advice and 1 was useless he told me there was nothing I could do about it and I would have to wait till I could have a knee op,my knee isn't perfect now but I get no pain from it at work I regularly do 100 miles a week on a bike,I don't do heavy squats at the gym and I can't run very fast but general day to day is fine with no medication,I agree 100% with the lose weight comment,start taking a tumeric supplement and cut out sugar as much as possible and don't give up hope,but my best advice is start riding a bike,not racing but just general casual riding.

Very much this. I had knee surgery a couple of years ago on my right knee (I was a keen cyclist before starting with Royal Mail). following the surgery, and recovery, I'm now finding this knee is pretty good now, no issues with it even if I cycle 100 miles a day :-)

A few issues with my left knee occurring, but my private physio has diagnosed that as due to having poor muscle tone causing the knee to not be very well supported. But I'm confident with the continued physio exercises it should improve. :thumbup