ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

D2d's

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

D2d's

Post by wacko74 »

As they're now ''part of the workload'' why are they not calculated into the daily traffic figures?

I've had 5 lots this week x 630 calls so that's over 3000 items I've had to prep and deliver that officially aren't factored in when it comes to traffic figures and booking extended delivery
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

D2d's

Post by deltaforce »

I thought they were factored in on your prep time , although I think the time given to prep them is very very tight
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

D2d's

Post by wacko74 »

deltaforce wrote:I thought they were factored in on your prep time , although I think the time given to prep them is very very tight
How can they be factored in to prep time (or delivery time for that matter) when their numbers are so variable?
One walk might have 6 lots whilst other walks might only have 1 or 2 or none.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

D2dffive later a

Post by Sir Henry »

It's all bullshit, if I have five d/d to prep I still spend the same amount of time on the IPS sorting as someone with no d/d. The only difference is that I shall leave the office later and return even later than 0 d/d bloke.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

D2dffive later a

Post by Postie45 »

Sir Henry wrote:It's all bullshit, if I have five d/d to prep I still spend the same amount of time on the IPS sorting as someone with no d/d. The only difference is that I shall leave the office later and return even later than 0 d/d bloke.
but your finishing times will be the same
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

D2d's

Post by Celgar »

Shedend wrote:Converting the d2d payment into a delivery supplement was one of the best (but not perfect) deals this union has achieved for its members. The prep of d2d is now part of the indoor workload and as such in the future could replace the decline in letter traffic on the prep and indoor workload.The payment is paid week in week out for 52 weeks of the year. People forget the weeks they only had one d2d to deliver or none.At the time of the deal RM were talking about not providing the d2d service to customers and they still review the service on a regular basis. If d2d's were to disappear then the delivery supplement would still be paid.
I would disagree and say the change to D2D payments was the third worst deal negotiated by the CWU closely following the pension debacle and SWW plan. I realise no one likes to hear it but at the time of the change to D2Ds we were told by the union that everyone, even staff that didn't see, prep, or touch D2Ds, would get a set standard twenty quid per week 52 weeks of the year. This twenty quid forms part of the wage supplement. Another poster mentioned checking your pay slip after a week of annual leave to see any difference. There will be no difference as everyone gets the money rather than just paying the posties that actually deliver them. It's like paying someone to not work which is strange to say the least. Maybe this is where the SWW idea was formulated from.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

D2dffive later a

Post by deltaforce »

Postie45 wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:It's all bullshit, if I have five d/d to prep I still spend the same amount of time on the IPS sorting as someone with no d/d. The only difference is that I shall leave the office later and return even later than 0 d/d bloke.
but your finishing times will be the same
And next week they might have six you might have none.
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

D2d's

Post by P13 »

Celgar wrote:
Shedend wrote:Converting the d2d payment into a delivery supplement was one of the best (but not perfect) deals this union has achieved for its members. The prep of d2d is now part of the indoor workload and as such in the future could replace the decline in letter traffic on the prep and indoor workload.The payment is paid week in week out for 52 weeks of the year. People forget the weeks they only had one d2d to deliver or none.At the time of the deal RM were talking about not providing the d2d service to customers and they still review the service on a regular basis. If d2d's were to disappear then the delivery supplement would still be paid.
I would disagree and say the change to D2D payments was the third worst deal negotiated by the CWU closely following the pension debacle and SWW plan. I realise no one likes to hear it but at the time of the change to D2Ds we were told by the union that everyone, even staff that didn't see, prep, or touch D2Ds, would get a set standard twenty quid per week 52 weeks of the year. This twenty quid forms part of the wage supplement. Another poster mentioned checking your pay slip after a week of annual leave to see any difference. There will be no difference as everyone gets the money rather than just paying the posties that actually deliver them. It's like paying someone to not work which is strange to say the least. Maybe this is where the SWW idea was formulated from.
Do you think a privatised Royal Mail would pay you nearly £12 an hour to walk up a path with a letter then give you another payment to deliver d2d to that same house
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

D2d's

Post by Celgar »

P13 wrote:
Celgar wrote:
Shedend wrote:Converting the d2d payment into a delivery supplement was one of the best (but not perfect) deals this union has achieved for its members. The prep of d2d is now part of the indoor workload and as such in the future could replace the decline in letter traffic on the prep and indoor workload.The payment is paid week in week out for 52 weeks of the year. People forget the weeks they only had one d2d to deliver or none.At the time of the deal RM were talking about not providing the d2d service to customers and they still review the service on a regular basis. If d2d's were to disappear then the delivery supplement would still be paid.
I would disagree and say the change to D2D payments was the third worst deal negotiated by the CWU closely following the pension debacle and SWW plan. I realise no one likes to hear it but at the time of the change to D2Ds we were told by the union that everyone, even staff that didn't see, prep, or touch D2Ds, would get a set standard twenty quid per week 52 weeks of the year. This twenty quid forms part of the wage supplement. Another poster mentioned checking your pay slip after a week of annual leave to see any difference. There will be no difference as everyone gets the money rather than just paying the posties that actually deliver them. It's like paying someone to not work which is strange to say the least. Maybe this is where the SWW idea was formulated from.
Do you think a privatised Royal Mail would pay you nearly £12 an hour to walk up a path with a letter then give you another payment to deliver d2d to that same house
In an ideal, or a moral, world any and all employers would pay for all work hours completed. I am more than happy to work all the hours I am paid for with no quibble whatsoever. I do have an issue, more on the principle of the issue than on the actual money, that I be paid for all the work hours I complete. I know for a fact a fair percentage of the work I and many other posties do over the year ends up being completed unpaid.
Back to your query an average or large frame with six D2Ds is going to use up that twenty quid in work time to collate and throw then into the frame. There may be some extra time used in fiddling with them during delivery as well. It is work and it is part of the job so it should be paid for by any public owned or private company.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

D2d's

Post by P13 »

Celgar wrote:
P13 wrote:
Celgar wrote:
Shedend wrote:Converting the d2d payment into a delivery supplement was one of the best (but not perfect) deals this union has achieved for its members. The prep of d2d is now part of the indoor workload and as such in the future could replace the decline in letter traffic on the prep and indoor workload.The payment is paid week in week out for 52 weeks of the year. People forget the weeks they only had one d2d to deliver or none.At the time of the deal RM were talking about not providing the d2d service to customers and they still review the service on a regular basis. If d2d's were to disappear then the delivery supplement would still be paid.
I would disagree and say the change to D2D payments was the third worst deal negotiated by the CWU closely following the pension debacle and SWW plan. I realise no one likes to hear it but at the time of the change to D2Ds we were told by the union that everyone, even staff that didn't see, prep, or touch D2Ds, would get a set standard twenty quid per week 52 weeks of the year. This twenty quid forms part of the wage supplement. Another poster mentioned checking your pay slip after a week of annual leave to see any difference. There will be no difference as everyone gets the money rather than just paying the posties that actually deliver them. It's like paying someone to not work which is strange to say the least. Maybe this is where the SWW idea was formulated from.
Do you think a privatised Royal Mail would pay you nearly £12 an hour to walk up a path with a letter then give you another payment to deliver d2d to that same house
In an ideal, or a moral, world any and all employers would pay for all work hours completed. I am more than happy to work all the hours I am paid for with no quibble whatsoever. I do have an issue, more on the principle of the issue than on the actual money, that I be paid for all the work hours I complete. I know for a fact a fair percentage of the work I and many other posties do over the year ends up being completed unpaid.
Back to your query an average or large frame with six D2Ds is going to use up that twenty quid in work time to collate and throw then into the frame. There may be some extra time used in fiddling with them during delivery as well. It is work and it is part of the job so it should be paid for by any public owned or private company.
I never do unpaid work and it does not matter whether you have one d2d or 7 d2d or the size of your frame you can go home at your finishing time. If you are working for free it is your own fault.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

D2d's

Post by Celgar »

@ P13 - I was just pointing out that if everything is timed, as RM supposedly thinks it is accurately, that if they give you another task to complete they have to pay wages for that to be done. Contact the TUC if you like and they will give you an estimate of how many billions of pounds of work have been completed this year in just the UK alone!
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3357
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

D2d's

Post by Mr Rush »

The Delivery Supplement is consistently misunderstood. It is, as named, a supplement - designed to cover a shortfall in your wage from the loss of the original D2D payments (averaged out, etc) after 2010. It's a transition from being paid for D2D to not being paid for it. At some point the supplement will cease.
The machine stops.