ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postmen will be wearing shorts in minus temperatures to raise funds

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postmen will be wearing shorts in minus temperatures to raise funds

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/172 ... ise-funds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

HARDENED posties will not be wrapping up this year as they attempt to raise money for good causes.

While the rest of us are piling on the layers to keep warm, Great Horkesley postmen Martin Hobbs, Darren Lock and ex-Col U defender Tony English will be dressing down.

For the past ten years they have worn their shorts throughout the winter to try to raise money for a different charity.

Last year they managed to raise £248 for the Tiddlywinks Nursery in Great Horkesley.

Martin said: “I think minus eight degrees is our record so far.

“We aren’t worried as we are hardened posties. Each year brings new challenges and I’m getting older with each year as well.

“You have to be careful of the slippery paths and sometimes the driving conditions can be difficult.

“When the Beast from the East hit I had to park my van in the middle of an estate and walk most of the route as it was safer.

He said each year he becomes accustomed to the cold but it is always a shock first thing in the morning.

He added: “It’s actually been quite mild so far, last year it didn’t get cold until March.

“We do get a few comments from people, ranging from ‘You’re mad’ to ‘I’ll give you some money if you put your trousers back on’.”

This year they have decided to raise money for British Heart Foundation, in memory Martin’s brother-in-law Paul.

Paul Boast, who had Downs Syndrome, sadly died in April when he was 49.

He was taken into hospital with breathing difficulties but his heart gave out in hospital.

Martin, who has been a postman for 12 years, added: “Paul always thought I was mad. He did actually come out with me one year.

“He was a hardened lad and I’m sure he would have put his shorts on and joined us this time.”

To donate visit http://www.justgiving.com/Postie-shorts-challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
matthew68
Posts: 516
Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
Gender: Male

Postmen will be wearing shorts in minus temperatures to raise funds

Post by matthew68 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/172 ... ise-funds/

Image

HARDENED posties will not be wrapping up this year as they attempt to raise money for good causes.

While the rest of us are piling on the layers to keep warm, Great Horkesley postmen Martin Hobbs, Darren Lock and ex-Col U defender Tony English will be dressing down.

For the past ten years they have worn their shorts throughout the winter to try to raise money for a different charity.

Last year they managed to raise £248 for the Tiddlywinks Nursery in Great Horkesley.

Martin said: “I think minus eight degrees is our record so far.

“We aren’t worried as we are hardened posties. Each year brings new challenges and I’m getting older with each year as well.

“You have to be careful of the slippery paths and sometimes the driving conditions can be difficult.

“When the Beast from the East hit I had to park my van in the middle of an estate and walk most of the route as it was safer.

He said each year he becomes accustomed to the cold but it is always a shock first thing in the morning.

He added: “It’s actually been quite mild so far, last year it didn’t get cold until March.

“We do get a few comments from people, ranging from ‘You’re mad’ to ‘I’ll give you some money if you put your trousers back on’.”

This year they have decided to raise money for British Heart Foundation, in memory Martin’s brother-in-law Paul.

Paul Boast, who had Downs Syndrome, sadly died in April when he was 49.

He was taken into hospital with breathing difficulties but his heart gave out in hospital.

Martin, who has been a postman for 12 years, added: “Paul always thought I was mad. He did actually come out with me one year.

“He was a hardened lad and I’m sure he would have put his shorts on and joined us this time.”

To donate visit http://www.justgiving.com/Postie-shorts-challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
its great that these guys are raising money for a good cause but wearing shorts in very cold weather is bad for your knees especially doing this job,I spoke to a professional who says it can help cause arthritis and make it worse by exposing knees to cold weather . In fact he was very surprised Royal Mail actually approve of this in winter
.