ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by Jpro747 »

number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:Nope, finish at 12 some days and go home. 11:30 on a Saturday
Jeez, what time do you start in your office, 5am? Make the most of it, it ain't gonna last long.
6:30.

Hahah, we will see. People have been saying that for 15 years or more
number one wrote:
houseoflords wrote:I know of some Posties getting back at 12 o clock and nothing is said even at Christmas
It’s just some of us are quicker/better than others. That’s not having a go, it’s a fact

You must work in a nice office if you are able to finish at 11:30 doing the job properly - that’s assuming you are. Where I work in the only ones who finish on time are runners and those who cut off at this time of year. :Boo hoo!
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by number one »

Jpro747 wrote:
number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:Nope, finish at 12 some days and go home. 11:30 on a Saturday
Jeez, what time do you start in your office, 5am? Make the most of it, it ain't gonna last long.
6:30.

Hahah, we will see. People have been saying that for 15 years or more
number one wrote:
houseoflords wrote:I know of some Posties getting back at 12 o clock and nothing is said even at Christmas
It’s just some of us are quicker/better than others. That’s not having a go, it’s a fact

You must work in a nice office if you are able to finish at 11:30 doing the job properly - that’s assuming you are. Where I work in the only ones who finish on time are runners and those who cut off at this time of year. :Boo hoo!

Nope, as I have said before on here I start on time, I don’t run, I take half my break and have the other half at the end. I’m just organised.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by number one »

LaggyBand wrote:
number one wrote:
houseoflords wrote:I know of some Posties getting back at 12 o clock and nothing is said even at Christmas
It’s just some of us are quicker/better than others. That’s not having a go, it’s a fact
It’s definitely true that quicker posties are quicker than slower posties;

However the employer and CWU measure work in terms of time, so it literally doesn’t matter.

If I do half a round, and you do a full round, and it takes me longer, then I’ve done more work than you.

Once the PDA plan is rolled out fully, this will become clearer in practice.
Worked longer and slower but not done “more” work
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by LaggyBand »

number one wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:
number one wrote:
houseoflords wrote:I know of some Posties getting back at 12 o clock and nothing is said even at Christmas
It’s just some of us are quicker/better than others. That’s not having a go, it’s a fact
It’s definitely true that quicker posties are quicker than slower posties;

However the employer and CWU measure work in terms of time, so it literally doesn’t matter.

If I do half a round, and you do a full round, and it takes me longer, then I’ve done more work than you.

Once the PDA plan is rolled out fully, this will become clearer in practice.
Worked longer and slower but not done “more” work
According to RM/CWU I am correct and you are wrong. Reason is in my post. Not how I would necessarily set the business up but that’s how it is. What either of us thinks means nothing for the purposes of this point.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by Seymour Buts »

LaggyBand wrote:
number one wrote:
houseoflords wrote:I know of some Posties getting back at 12 o clock and nothing is said even at Christmas
It’s just some of us are quicker/better than others. That’s not having a go, it’s a fact
It’s definitely true that quicker posties are quicker than slower posties;

However the employer and CWU measure work in terms of time, so it literally doesn’t matter.

If I do half a round, and you do a full round, and it takes me longer, then I’ve done more work than you.

Once the PDA plan is rolled out fully, this will become clearer in practice.
Which is a micky take. It encourages people to go slowly and waste time which is ridiculous. Actuals should be used to even out the workload; they should also be used against people who take far too long on easy duties.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by LaggyBand »

postietom wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:
number one wrote:
houseoflords wrote:I know of some Posties getting back at 12 o clock and nothing is said even at Christmas
It’s just some of us are quicker/better than others. That’s not having a go, it’s a fact
It’s definitely true that quicker posties are quicker than slower posties;

However the employer and CWU measure work in terms of time, so it literally doesn’t matter.

If I do half a round, and you do a full round, and it takes me longer, then I’ve done more work than you.

Once the PDA plan is rolled out fully, this will become clearer in practice.
Which is a micky take. It encourages people to go slowly and waste time which is ridiculous. Actuals should be used to even out the workload; they should also be used against people who take far too long on easy duties.
Can of worms opened a million times on here I know, but problem is, how would you measure workload if you were setting it up?

Putting it into precise text form that a programmer could use when creating the software will help bring to surface the problems surrounding it.

Still I’m interested if you’re willing to have a go.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by number one »

So if somebody goes in, does their full 8 hours and delivers their full walk if I just sit in my van and do absolutely nothing for 8:05hrs then I’ve done more work?
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by LaggyBand »

number one wrote:So if somebody goes in, does their full 8 hours and delivers their full walk if I just sit in my van and do absolutely nothing for 8:05hrs then I’ve done more work?
No, because objectively it can be argued that you were not working, whereas the other guy was.
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by FirstPost »

number one wrote:
houseoflords wrote:I know of some Posties getting back at 12 o clock and nothing is said even at Christmas
It’s just some of us are quicker/better than others. That’s not having a go, it’s a fact
and have very easy walks? :nana
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by rambo1 »

number one wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:
number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:Nope, finish at 12 some days and go home. 11:30 on a Saturday
Jeez, what time do you start in your office, 5am? Make the most of it, it ain't gonna last long.
6:30.

Hahah, we will see. People have been saying that for 15 years or more
number one wrote:
houseoflords wrote:I know of some Posties getting back at 12 o clock and nothing is said even at Christmas
It’s just some of us are quicker/better than others. That’s not having a go, it’s a fact

You must work in a nice office if you are able to finish at 11:30 doing the job properly - that’s assuming you are. Where I work in the only ones who finish on time are runners and those who cut off at this time of year. :Boo hoo!

Nope, as I have said before on here I start on time, I don’t run, I take half my break and have the other half at the end. I’m just organised.
.......and have a pxxs easy walk, otherwise you'd struggle to get done on time let alone 2 plus hrs early. Your that 'organised' that you can prep, bag up and deliver (with trolley), and have 20 mins break, three full trays of sequenced, five trays of manual and five or six packet bags plus biggies, in 5 hrs? ........or don't you get that ammount of mail and packets on your walk. Most walks in our office, you couldn't even deliver and have 20 mins break, in that time even a runner. Just shows how equal our business is.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by CPTNemoUK »

rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:
number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:Nope, finish at 12 some days and go home. 11:30 on a Saturday
Jeez, what time do you start in your office, 5am? Make the most of it, it ain't gonna last long.
6:30.

Hahah, we will see. People have been saying that for 15 years or more
number one wrote:
houseoflords wrote:I know of some Posties getting back at 12 o clock and nothing is said even at Christmas
It’s just some of us are quicker/better than others. That’s not having a go, it’s a fact

You must work in a nice office if you are able to finish at 11:30 doing the job properly - that’s assuming you are. Where I work in the only ones who finish on time are runners and those who cut off at this time of year. :Boo hoo!

Nope, as I have said before on here I start on time, I don’t run, I take half my break and have the other half at the end. I’m just organised.
.......and have a pxxs easy walk, otherwise you'd struggle to get done on time let alone 2 plus hrs early. Your that 'organised' that you can prep, bag up and deliver (with trolley), and have 20 mins break, three full trays of sequenced, five trays of manual and five or six packet bags plus biggies, in 5 hrs? ........or don't you get that ammount of mail and packets on your walk. Most walks in our office, you couldn't even deliver and have 20 mins break, in that time even a runner. Just shows how equal our business is.
Today I know for a fact there is absolutely zero chance I could of finished on time even taking no breaks and running. I had to chuck a full York of packets out and even then I went 5 mins over still. But there are walks in my office you can take everything out have all your breaks and stroll round and still finish early. All walks are equal. :left:
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by number one »

rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:
number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:Nope, finish at 12 some days and go home. 11:30 on a Saturday
Jeez, what time do you start in your office, 5am? Make the most of it, it ain't gonna last long.
6:30.

Hahah, we will see. People have been saying that for 15 years or more
number one wrote:
houseoflords wrote:I know of some Posties getting back at 12 o clock and nothing is said even at Christmas
It’s just some of us are quicker/better than others. That’s not having a go, it’s a fact

You must work in a nice office if you are able to finish at 11:30 doing the job properly - that’s assuming you are. Where I work in the only ones who finish on time are runners and those who cut off at this time of year. :Boo hoo!

Nope, as I have said before on here I start on time, I don’t run, I take half my break and have the other half at the end. I’m just organised.
.......and have a pxxs easy walk, otherwise you'd struggle to get done on time let alone 2 plus hrs early. Your that 'organised' that you can prep, bag up and deliver (with trolley), and have 20 mins break, three full trays of sequenced, five trays of manual and five or six packet bags plus biggies, in 5 hrs? ........or don't you get that ammount of mail and packets on your walk. Most walks in our office, you couldn't even deliver and have 20 mins break, in that time even a runner. Just shows how equal our business is.

Mine is considered the second biggest round in the office.
Others that do it hate it.

Start 06:30
Ips completed 07:10
Completed throwing out 07:50
Packets sorted 08:10
Break till 08:30
Bag up, loads van and leave the office 09:00

3-3.5hrs to deliver depending on how busy it is.

Back to office at 12-12:30

I can leave the office at 8ish on a Saturday so can finish even earlier
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by jd9442 »

3 hours of delivering sounds good
Small round?
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by number one »

jd9442 wrote:3 hours of delivering sounds good
Small round?
As I said 2nd biggest in the office
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Finishing early but then being sent back out..

Post by centenaryman »

think that shows a large inequality between us all

we start 630 somedays......office of about 40 duties...primary only has 4 places....lucky if were of that by 830

lads have to throw 3 walks in were upto 60/40 pt to f/t ratio

office less than 2 miles away is out delivering just after 8... were happy if were on the streets by 930
each walk is timed at 430/445 in length