ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sick leave and days off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Sick leave and days off

Post by rehabron »

rehabron wrote:Absence notification and maintaining contact
Guide for employees
absence.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ballsup
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 55
Joined: 08 Jan 2015, 15:48
Gender: Male

Sick leave and days off

Post by ballsup »

rehabron wrote:
rehabron wrote:Absence notification and maintaining contact
Guide for employees
absence.jpg
Interesting!

We phone back in on the saturday after the start of duty we only get 5 days absence, Don't think ill be telling managers about that one
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Sick leave and days off

Post by Woody Guthrie »

It shows how easy it is to misunderstand the attendance procedure if you haven't had any training.
The section quoted above relates only to the type of medical certification required as you'll see if you read it properly.
Only dead fish follow the current
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Sick leave and days off

Post by Postie45 »

Woody Guthrie wrote:It shows how easy it is to misunderstand the attendance procedure if you haven't had any training.
The section quoted above relates only to the type of medical certification required as you'll see if you read it properly.
hm as far as i can tell its saying its a general rule that the absence is counted from first thru last days of absence including weekends and non working day.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Sick leave and days off

Post by aiden01 »

Postie45 wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:It shows how easy it is to misunderstand the attendance procedure if you haven't had any training.
The section quoted above relates only to the type of medical certification required as you'll see if you read it properly.
hm as far as i can tell its saying its a general rule that the absence is counted from first thru last days of absence including weekends and non working day.
Same here maybe were missing something. :hmmmm
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Sick leave and days off

Post by number one »

aiden01 wrote:
Postie45 wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:It shows how easy it is to misunderstand the attendance procedure if you haven't had any training.
The section quoted above relates only to the type of medical certification required as you'll see if you read it properly.
hm as far as i can tell its saying its a general rule that the absence is counted from first thru last days of absence including weekends and non working day.
Same here maybe were missing something. :hmmmm

Yes same here UNLESS like I said earlier on you make contact and inform them you are now fit to work and you will be back in on your scheduled day in
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Sick leave and days off

Post by Woody Guthrie »

I'll try to explain things a little.

The section Ron has cut and pasted is incomplete (naughty Ron), it concerns the type of medical certification needed and the conditions required. Check the document, it's there in black and white. This is the danger of taking small sections from an agreement without fully understanding the agreement itself.

Why are the conditions different for a medical certificate? That's pretty obvious, a certificate has to be based on calender days otherwise a 7 day self-certificate could mean 1 week for a 7 day attendance, 2 weeks for a 3 day attendance and 7 weeks if you were only a Saturday attendance. That would be ridiculous, similarly a 28 day line from your doctor could mean all different things depending on your attendance pattern. That's why a certificate lasts from the fist day of absence to the day you return irrespective of days off.

The actual guidance for the calculation of sick absence with regard to review stages is contained within Royal Mail's own policy document. It states that rest days at the beginning or end of a period of sick absence are not counted. There is no requirement to phone in on a rest day to state that you'll be back on your next work day in order to stop a clock. If anyone can actually find those words I'd love to see them.

If you really think about it it's a ridiculous proposition, if I went sick on a Friday before my long weekend when would I phone in? Saturday? If I'm still throwing up should I tell them I'll be fine or does Saturday count, what if I'm still dodgy on Sunday, no point in phoning in on Sunday there's nobody there, what about Monday? If I phone in Monday does Saturday and Sunday count? How can Sunday count, it's not my fault the place is shut...If you think about a Wallington week the situation gets even more preposterous.

This is how it works, if you're sick before and after your day off it counts.
If you're sick after your day off it doesn't count.
If you're sick before your day off but return to work on the first scheduled work day after your day off it doesn't count.
If some of you guys are getting mugged by management over this speak to your rep, maybe your area rep because this is basic stuff your rep should already know.trust me I've been one for 15 years.
Only dead fish follow the current
Green
Posts: 3
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 14:13
Gender: Male

Sick leave and days off

Post by Green »

Woody Guthrie wrote:I'll try to explain things a little.

The section Ron has cut and pasted is incomplete (naughty Ron), it concerns the type of medical certification needed and the conditions required. Check the document, it's there in black and white. This is the danger of taking small sections from an agreement without fully understanding the agreement itself.

Why are the conditions different for a medical certificate? That's pretty obvious, a certificate has to be based on calender days otherwise a 7 day self-certificate could mean 1 week for a 7 day attendance, 2 weeks for a 3 day attendance and 7 weeks if you were only a Saturday attendance. That would be ridiculous, similarly a 28 day line from your doctor could mean all different things depending on your attendance pattern. That's why a certificate lasts from the fist day of absence to the day you return irrespective of days off.

The actual guidance for the calculation of sick absence with regard to review stages is contained within Royal Mail's own policy document. It states that rest days at the beginning or end of a period of sick absence are not counted. There is no requirement to phone in on a rest day to state that you'll be back on your next work day in order to stop a clock. If anyone can actually find those words I'd love to see them.

If you really think about it it's a ridiculous proposition, if I went sick on a Friday before my long weekend when would I phone in? Saturday? If I'm still throwing up should I tell them I'll be fine or does Saturday count, what if I'm still dodgy on Sunday, no point in phoning in on Sunday there's nobody there, what about Monday? If I phone in Monday does Saturday and Sunday count? How can Sunday count, it's not my fault the place is shut...If you think about a Wallington week the situation gets even more preposterous.

This is how it works, if you're sick before and after your day off it counts.
If you're sick after your day off it doesn't count.
If you're sick before your day off but return to work on the first scheduled work day after your day off it doesn't count.
If some of you guys are getting mugged by management over this speak to your rep, maybe your area rep because this is basic stuff your rep should already know.trust me I've been one for 15 years.
So I'm experiencing this at the minute. I took Thursday and Friday off, Saturday And Monday were my days off, then it was Christmas day and Boxing day bank holidays.
As I was only actually due in work for the first two days I assumed it would only count as a two day absence... I rang in to say I was sick on Thursday and still sick on Friday, then I left it and showed up to work on time on Thursday the day after Boxing day.

Both my manager and union rep tell me that the absence is counted as six days... So they're counting my days off and the bank holidays as absences on my record.

I suppose if they're both telling me the same thing it must be true, but it's the first I've heard of sick time being calculated like that. I'd love to see some proper (and clear!) documentation on the issue if anybody could provide it!
paul1231
Posts: 112
Joined: 10 Mar 2014, 22:20
Gender: Male

Sick leave and days off

Post by paul1231 »

Green wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:I'll try to explain things a little.

The section Ron has cut and pasted is incomplete (naughty Ron), it concerns the type of medical certification needed and the conditions required. Check the document, it's there in black and white. This is the danger of taking small sections from an agreement without fully understanding the agreement itself.

Why are the conditions different for a medical certificate? That's pretty obvious, a certificate has to be based on calender days otherwise a 7 day self-certificate could mean 1 week for a 7 day attendance, 2 weeks for a 3 day attendance and 7 weeks if you were only a Saturday attendance. That would be ridiculous, similarly a 28 day line from your doctor could mean all different things depending on your attendance pattern. That's why a certificate lasts from the fist day of absence to the day you return irrespective of days off.

The actual guidance for the calculation of sick absence with regard to review stages is contained within Royal Mail's own policy document. It states that rest days at the beginning or end of a period of sick absence are not counted. There is no requirement to phone in on a rest day to state that you'll be back on your next work day in order to stop a clock. If anyone can actually find those words I'd love to see them.

If you really think about it it's a ridiculous proposition, if I went sick on a Friday before my long weekend when would I phone in? Saturday? If I'm still throwing up should I tell them I'll be fine or does Saturday count, what if I'm still dodgy on Sunday, no point in phoning in on Sunday there's nobody there, what about Monday? If I phone in Monday does Saturday and Sunday count? How can Sunday count, it's not my fault the place is shut...If you think about a Wallington week the situation gets even more preposterous.

This is how it works, if you're sick before and after your day off it counts.
If you're sick after your day off it doesn't count.
If you're sick before your day off but return to work on the first scheduled work day after your day off it doesn't count.
If some of you guys are getting mugged by management over this speak to your rep, maybe your area rep because this is basic stuff your rep should already know.trust me I've been one for 15 years.
So I'm experiencing this at the minute. I took Thursday and Friday off, Saturday And Monday were my days off, then it was Christmas day and Boxing day bank holidays.
As I was only actually due in work for the first two days I assumed it would only count as a two day absence... I rang in to say I was sick on Thursday and still sick on Friday, then I left it and showed up to work on time on Thursday the day after Boxing day.

Both my manager and union rep tell me that the absence is counted as six days... So they're counting my days off and the bank holidays as absences on my record.

I suppose if they're both telling me the same thing it must be true, but it's the first I've heard of sick time being calculated like that. I'd love to see some proper (and clear!) documentation on the issue if anybody could provide it!
Tell them if they want to do that then you'll need 2 Lieu days adding for been off sick Christmas day and boxing day and see how they suddenly feel about it :left:
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Sick leave and days off

Post by aiden01 »

paul1231 wrote:
Green wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:I'll try to explain things a little.

The section Ron has cut and pasted is incomplete (naughty Ron), it concerns the type of medical certification needed and the conditions required. Check the document, it's there in black and white. This is the danger of taking small sections from an agreement without fully understanding the agreement itself.

Why are the conditions different for a medical certificate? That's pretty obvious, a certificate has to be based on calender days otherwise a 7 day self-certificate could mean 1 week for a 7 day attendance, 2 weeks for a 3 day attendance and 7 weeks if you were only a Saturday attendance. That would be ridiculous, similarly a 28 day line from your doctor could mean all different things depending on your attendance pattern. That's why a certificate lasts from the fist day of absence to the day you return irrespective of days off.

The actual guidance for the calculation of sick absence with regard to review stages is contained within Royal Mail's own policy document. It states that rest days at the beginning or end of a period of sick absence are not counted. There is no requirement to phone in on a rest day to state that you'll be back on your next work day in order to stop a clock. If anyone can actually find those words I'd love to see them.

If you really think about it it's a ridiculous proposition, if I went sick on a Friday before my long weekend when would I phone in? Saturday? If I'm still throwing up should I tell them I'll be fine or does Saturday count, what if I'm still dodgy on Sunday, no point in phoning in on Sunday there's nobody there, what about Monday? If I phone in Monday does Saturday and Sunday count? How can Sunday count, it's not my fault the place is shut...If you think about a Wallington week the situation gets even more preposterous.

This is how it works, if you're sick before and after your day off it counts.
If you're sick after your day off it doesn't count.
If you're sick before your day off but return to work on the first scheduled work day after your day off it doesn't count.
If some of you guys are getting mugged by management over this speak to your rep, maybe your area rep because this is basic stuff your rep should already know.trust me I've been one for 15 years.
So I'm experiencing this at the minute. I took Thursday and Friday off, Saturday And Monday were my days off, then it was Christmas day and Boxing day bank holidays.
As I was only actually due in work for the first two days I assumed it would only count as a two day absence... I rang in to say I was sick on Thursday and still sick on Friday, then I left it and showed up to work on time on Thursday the day after Boxing day.

Both my manager and union rep tell me that the absence is counted as six days... So they're counting my days off and the bank holidays as absences on my record.

I suppose if they're both telling me the same thing it must be true, but it's the first I've heard of sick time being calculated like that. I'd love to see some proper (and clear!) documentation on the issue if anybody could provide it!
Tell them if they want to do that then you'll need 2 Lieu days adding for been off sick Christmas day and boxing day and see how they suddenly feel about it :left:
You don't get lieu days for bank holidays when off sick.
wandle
Posts: 944
Joined: 25 Feb 2011, 17:17
Gender: Male

Sick leave and days off

Post by wandle »

Green wrote:
So I'm experiencing this at the minute. I took Thursday and Friday off, Saturday And Monday were my days off, then it was Christmas day and Boxing day bank holidays.
As I was only actually due in work for the first two days I assumed it would only count as a two day absence... I rang in to say I was sick on Thursday and still sick on Friday, then I left it and showed up to work on time on Thursday the day after Boxing day.

Both my manager and union rep tell me that the absence is counted as six days... So they're counting my days off and the bank holidays as absences on my record.

I suppose if they're both telling me the same thing it must be true, but it's the first I've heard of sick time being calculated like that. I'd love to see some proper (and clear!) documentation on the issue if anybody could provide it!
They are counting them, not out of spite, but because you did not call on Saturday to say you were no longer ill and would therefore be resuming on your next scheduled duty day. I'm puzzled as to how they count it as 6 days, however. Should it not be 7 ? If someone on a Mon-Fri duty called in sick on a Thursday, and did not return until the following Thursday, they would definitely count it as 7 days, regardless of the fact 2 of those days were rest days