ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How many neighbours do you knock?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
azza30
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
Gender: Male
Location: Eternal Misery

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by azza30 »

HTPostman wrote:I only leave parcels with neighbours who I know for sure get on. The grand total of neighbours I know is 2 on 1 round. I've been on 12 rounds since I returned to Royal Mail 7 weeks ago, I don't know who gets on with who on those other rounds, already been told off by management for leaving a parcel with a neighbour they didn't get on with (I didn't actually leave it, so it must've been someone else). I've been called a jobs worth because a neighbour came out and didn't believe me when I said the Special Delivery couldn't be left with them.

The fact is there's a big security issue here, even if your PDA shows you delivered it to a neighbour (who then says they never had it), do managers really have time to go through the PDA actuals just to 'get you off the hook'...I doubt it.

End of the day I'm still in my probation period, it's quicker for me to write a P739 than try neighbours and it ensures the parcel is returned safely, my back is covered and they can get their parcel from the DO or arrange re delivery.

Obviously if ever I get my own round I'll soon learn which neighbours get on. Till then I'm covering my back.
Are you that scared of your manager? If so why - if you've done what the top brass of RM say they want you to do, then you've done nothing wrong, as long as your actuals back you up.

Security issues are not your problem pal - this is RM policy! I am aware neighbours don't get on but it is RM's problem, along with amazon, dpd and the like. If they really don't want it to go to neighbours they can say that on Tracked notes, or put up a wee sticker - Do not deliver to neighbours, return to DO. I would!

I'm not the RM neighbour dispute resolution service. I've done my job as told - Its RM problem!

If they complain just shrug and tell them you aren't responsible for neighbour disputes and to make a complaint officially. SIMPLES
sorefeet17
Posts: 299
Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by sorefeet17 »

I used go to neighbours when i was on a route which was mostly bungalows with all retired pensioners, now i'm on a town route which is all staircases and theres no way i am going up stairs then down then back up with a card especially when the neighbours likely not to be in either! i take back twice as much as any other posties in my office, but most of my colleagues just doorstep their parcels.
azza30
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
Gender: Male
Location: Eternal Misery

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by azza30 »

sorefeet17 wrote:I used go to neighbours when i was on a route which was mostly bungalows with all retired pensioners, now i'm on a town route which is all staircases and theres no way i am going up stairs then down then back up with a card especially when the neighbours likely not to be in either! i take back twice as much as any other posties in my office, but most of my colleagues just doorstep their parcels.

There's the truth! Most posties bank on doorstepping to allow them enough time to whizz around! But Posties are there own worst enemy - they could force RM to make walks shorter, make walks more realistic, allow for more overtime for those that want it or get more feet on the ground, by following the correct way's that RM promote.

It will be interesting to see if RM, after last nights Watchdog on BBC1 which is going to hammer doorstepping over the next few weeks, hammers in knocking on neighbours.

Why do posties shoot themselves in the foot everytime? :arrrghhh
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Celgar »

azza30 wrote:
sorefeet17 wrote:I used go to neighbours when i was on a route which was mostly bungalows with all retired pensioners, now i'm on a town route which is all staircases and theres no way i am going up stairs then down then back up with a card especially when the neighbours likely not to be in either! i take back twice as much as any other posties in my office, but most of my colleagues just doorstep their parcels.

There's the truth! Most posties bank on doorstepping to allow them enough time to whizz around! But Posties are there own worst enemy - they could force RM to make walks shorter, make walks more realistic, allow for more overtime for those that want it or get more feet on the ground, by following the correct way's that RM promote.

It will be interesting to see if RM, after last nights Watchdog on BBC1 which is going to hammer doorstepping over the next few weeks, hammers in knocking on neighbours.

Why do posties shoot themselves in the foot everytime? :arrrghhh
What did they say about doorstepping on Watchdog? I hoped they mentioned Amazon, HDNL delivering/doorstepping to the wrong addresses? They do that a lot this time of year on my walk.

PS Hmmm. Was on Hermes. £5.64 an hour so doesn't sound very good working for them.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Postie45 »

Celgar wrote:
PS Hmmm. Was on Hermes. £5.64 an hour so doesn't sound very good working for them.
how do they get away with paying well below min wage ?
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by DrSatan »

Postie45 wrote:
Celgar wrote:
PS Hmmm. Was on Hermes. £5.64 an hour so doesn't sound very good working for them.
how do they get away with paying well below min wage ?
Because they are self employed and their hourly wage is based on how quick they can 'deliver' the items.

This is the problem with these type of couriers, they only get paid when an item is delivered. Which leads to the actions such as seen on watchdog.

They should all be regulated the same as us to create a level playing field and to force them to increase their level of customer service. A win all round for the customer.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by CPTNemoUK »

azza30 wrote:
sorefeet17 wrote:I used go to neighbours when i was on a route which was mostly bungalows with all retired pensioners, now i'm on a town route which is all staircases and theres no way i am going up stairs then down then back up with a card especially when the neighbours likely not to be in either! i take back twice as much as any other posties in my office, but most of my colleagues just doorstep their parcels.

There's the truth! Most posties bank on doorstepping to allow them enough time to whizz around! But Posties are there own worst enemy - they could force RM to make walks shorter, make walks more realistic, allow for more overtime for those that want it or get more feet on the ground, by following the correct way's that RM promote.

It will be interesting to see if RM, after last nights Watchdog on BBC1 which is going to hammer doorstepping over the next few weeks, hammers in knocking on neighbours.

Why do posties shoot themselves in the foot everytime? :arrrghhh
Just watched that last night. What came to my mined is when people was complaining. What do they expect the couriers to do when they order stuff and never in. Keep trying all week till they are in. They don't get paid unless they get rid. If I was in thier shoes I'll be doing the same.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Postie45 »

CPTNemoUK wrote: Just watched that last night. What came to my mined is when people was complaining. What do they expect the couriers to do when they order stuff and never in. Keep trying all week till they are in. They don't get paid unless they get rid. If I was in thier shoes I'll be doing the same.
yeah in the end you get what you pay for, go for the cheaper option and turn a blind eye to peoples working conditions and you get the service you deserve.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by HTPostman »

azza30 wrote:
HTPostman wrote:I only leave parcels with neighbours who I know for sure get on. The grand total of neighbours I know is 2 on 1 round. I've been on 12 rounds since I returned to Royal Mail 7 weeks ago, I don't know who gets on with who on those other rounds, already been told off by management for leaving a parcel with a neighbour they didn't get on with (I didn't actually leave it, so it must've been someone else). I've been called a jobs worth because a neighbour came out and didn't believe me when I said the Special Delivery couldn't be left with them.

The fact is there's a big security issue here, even if your PDA shows you delivered it to a neighbour (who then says they never had it), do managers really have time to go through the PDA actuals just to 'get you off the hook'...I doubt it.

End of the day I'm still in my probation period, it's quicker for me to write a P739 than try neighbours and it ensures the parcel is returned safely, my back is covered and they can get their parcel from the DO or arrange re delivery.

Obviously if ever I get my own round I'll soon learn which neighbours get on. Till then I'm covering my back.
Are you that scared of your manager? If so why - if you've done what the top brass of RM say they want you to do, then you've done nothing wrong, as long as your actuals back you up.

Security issues are not your problem pal - this is RM policy! I am aware neighbours don't get on but it is RM's problem, along with amazon, dpd and the like. If they really don't want it to go to neighbours they can say that on Tracked notes, or put up a wee sticker - Do not deliver to neighbours, return to DO. I would!

I'm not the RM neighbour dispute resolution service. I've done my job as told - Its RM problem!

If they complain just shrug and tell them you aren't responsible for neighbour disputes and to make a complaint officially. SIMPLES
Thanks for this, I've now started doing as RM say and trying neighbours, don't know what the official rule is but I'll try a neighbour either side then P739 it, I'm not trying every house on a street before someone is in.

Overall I think it's making the round longer, takes me 60 secs to write out a P739 but longer to start knocking on neighbours but that's not my problem. My golden rule and answer to most things since returning to Royal Mail is I'll do it (OT, knocking on neighbours, prepping 2 rounds even though I'm PT) so long as I get paid for every minute of it. So far so good.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
azza30
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
Gender: Male
Location: Eternal Misery

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by azza30 »

In my experience, I feel far less tired since I started trying neighbours.... but that's because I cut off. Plus the standing waiting a neighbours doors then writing the card out all saves waking time! I WIN!
stourpostie
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 13:38
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by stourpostie »

none let them go & fetch their parcels .put them out like they have put you out !
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by postiewhite »

Ill knock on a neighbours door if I know they are in. Also if I get along with the customer well then ill try and do them a favour but I have plenty of hidey holes for them anyway. I will not go to a neighbour if im not 100% sure they are in as I havent time.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by postiewhite »

stourpostie wrote:none let them go & fetch their parcels .put them out like they have put you out !
I dont think like that at all. If everyone "did me a favour" and used another parcel company I wouldnt have the hours I have or even a job for that matter
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by norris9 »

Unless I knew who was happy to take in parcels, I would rarely knock a neighbours door.

So RM prefer you to knock other people's doors?...

Personally, I don't think it's fair to try to lump parcels on neighbours. RM think this is good customer service because the addressee doesn't have to drive to the depot?....ok.....but it's not good to interrupt neighbours who may be ill, nightshift workers, a parent trying to look after their baby.....just to do a favour for Royal Mail and a neighbour they may not know.

The few people I have asked to take in parcels have reluctantly said yes. One saying "this online nonsense of people ordering stuff, but not being home". I have had one refuse as they clearly didn't like their neighbours.

I'd personally rather go to the depot to collect my parcel than it be delivered to the neighbour, I always feel bad knocking on their door and interrupting their evening to get my parcel.


Don't Royal Mail offer any options to leave parcels at some kind of collection point closer to people's homes? I know some parcel companies will drop your parcel to places like local shops, Homebase etc...
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Trail »

norris9 wrote:Unless I knew who was happy to take in parcels, I would rarely knock a neighbours door.

So RM prefer you to knock other people's doors?...

Personally, I don't think it's fair to try to lump parcels on neighbours. RM think this is good customer service because the addressee doesn't have to drive to the depot?....ok.....but it's not good to interrupt neighbours who may be ill, nightshift workers, a parent trying to look after their baby.....just to do a favour for Royal Mail and a neighbour they may not know.

The few people I have asked to take in parcels have reluctantly said yes. One saying "this online nonsense of people ordering stuff, but not being home". I have had one refuse as they clearly didn't like their neighbours.

I'd personally rather go to the depot to collect my parcel than it be delivered to the neighbour, I always feel bad knocking on their door and interrupting their evening to get my parcel.


Don't Royal Mail offer any options to leave parcels at some kind of collection point closer to people's homes? I know some parcel companies will drop your parcel to places like local shops, Homebase etc...
None.

F*ck running around the neighbourhood trying to shift parcels. They go back in the van and they get a card. You'd spend so much of your shift going from one door to another. I've got to be 98% sure a neighbour is in and willing to take a parcel before I go running around like an idiot.

Parcels often go in a blue bin if I've been told prior to this that they'll let me do that, other than this they go back to the post office.