ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.
Remember all those years ago when you were a newbie !
-
deristrong
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
- Gender: Male
paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.
I do. I'm still scarred by it! I get given a newbie every few months and most of them get there eventually. My wife says I should be flattered as I'm a tolerant friendly old bugger.hothothot wrote:Remember all those years ago when you were a newbie !
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.
If they don’t get it after 6 months they never willSmith1212 wrote:Sounds harsh I mean usually it’s the full timer moaning because there waiting around.But have been in the office over hour or so more lol,also if anyone questions me at worn just check my pda actuals,some people take longer than others to adapt to the job in my viewChalky13 wrote:Unfortunately if they’ve been fully trained, been there 6+ months and still cannot tie up, do a walk or have issues doing the job, then I’m aftaid with any job, it’s unlikely they’d be kept on. Harsh as it sounds, it’s how probation periods work and although I don’t agree with it, it’s how life is nowadaysofficernopants wrote:Moved on? Are you suggesting these guys should lose there jobs!
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.
Some posties are really fast and some are really slow. That is never going to change and is one of many variables in RM. I think maybe RM should look to not pairing a really fast postie with a really slow postie especially not on a permanent basis. With the seniority system though this isn't easy to fix. I have seen it and it does cause stress. The faster postie will end up doing a lot more work which doesn't go down well.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
westy23
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 66
- Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 10:35
- Gender: Male
paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.
I can remember my 1st week on delivery in 1977, I got 3 days training and then was left to it.
1st day on on my own I was just leaving the office as the regulars where arriving back from their 1st delivery.
Still had a 2nd delivery waiting for me when I got back.
Very demoralising but stuck to it and eventually it clicks into place.
Not sure I could manage a delivery nowadays though.
Driving a 600 is hard enough thanks.
1st day on on my own I was just leaving the office as the regulars where arriving back from their 1st delivery.
Still had a 2nd delivery waiting for me when I got back.
Very demoralising but stuck to it and eventually it clicks into place.
Not sure I could manage a delivery nowadays though.
Driving a 600 is hard enough thanks.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3226
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.
I find they tend to deliberately put faster/efficient posties with the slower/struggling posties more than not, in the hope that the fast posties picks up the slack.Celgar wrote:Some posties are really fast and some are really slow. That is never going to change and is one of many variables in RM. I think maybe RM should look to not pairing a really fast postie with a really slow postie especially not on a permanent basis. With the seniority system though this isn't easy to fix. I have seen it and it does cause stress. The faster postie will end up doing a lot more work which doesn't go down well.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.
In theory that's a good idea to speed up work output but what happens most of the time, they sit/stand and wait for their partner to return to the van rather than going to help.Acca Dacca wrote:I find they tend to deliberately put faster/efficient posties with the slower/struggling posties more than not, in the hope that the fast posties picks up the slack.Celgar wrote:Some posties are really fast and some are really slow. That is never going to change and is one of many variables in RM. I think maybe RM should look to not pairing a really fast postie with a really slow postie especially not on a permanent basis. With the seniority system though this isn't easy to fix. I have seen it and it does cause stress. The faster postie will end up doing a lot more work which doesn't go down well.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.
That's happened I'm my office alot. At first they will help out but after so long they think why should they do more work than someone else for the same money? Can't say I blame them eitherDrSatan wrote:In theory that's a good idea to speed up work output but what happens most of the time, they sit/stand and wait for their partner to return to the van rather than going to help.Acca Dacca wrote:I find they tend to deliberately put faster/efficient posties with the slower/struggling posties more than not, in the hope that the fast posties picks up the slack.Celgar wrote:Some posties are really fast and some are really slow. That is never going to change and is one of many variables in RM. I think maybe RM should look to not pairing a really fast postie with a really slow postie especially not on a permanent basis. With the seniority system though this isn't easy to fix. I have seen it and it does cause stress. The faster postie will end up doing a lot more work which doesn't go down well.
-
panch1989
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
- Gender: Male
paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.
citypostie wrote:That's happened I'm my office alot. At first they will help out but after so long they think why should they do more work than someone else for the same money? Can't say I blame them eitherDrSatan wrote:In theory that's a good idea to speed up work output but what happens most of the time, they sit/stand and wait for their partner to return to the van rather than going to help.Acca Dacca wrote:I find they tend to deliberately put faster/efficient posties with the slower/struggling posties more than not, in the hope that the fast posties picks up the slack.Celgar wrote:Some posties are really fast and some are really slow. That is never going to change and is one of many variables in RM. I think maybe RM should look to not pairing a really fast postie with a really slow postie especially not on a permanent basis. With the seniority system though this isn't easy to fix. I have seen it and it does cause stress. The faster postie will end up doing a lot more work which doesn't go down well.
I used to do this, till I found the newbie coming out of a house on the loop finishing a cup of tea. I thought why should I bust my balls so they can bumble around.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.
The new starters need to be with the coach for much longer learning all about the job after all they get paid to do it.
-
delboy1969
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 17:40
- Gender: Male
paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.
The same thing happened to a colleague of mine recently. The newbie was on the round for five months and still wasn't getting it and it was an ok round. Then he was moved to another round and they were booking overtime every day and there were numerous complaints as well. Sadly, the chap was let go at the end of his probation period. Nice bloke but just never got it, must be bad if RM are letting someone go in November! The same colleague has been paired with another newbie who is taking to the job really well. We have a number in our office at the moment, not sure how the others are getting on! Not an ideal time of year for newbies of course!
I think RM need to overhaul the whole training process as before van shares you used to get 3 days training then were left to your own devices. But van shares are a different beast altogether. And it doesn't help constantly chopping and changing newbies on lots of different rounds as well.
I think RM need to overhaul the whole training process as before van shares you used to get 3 days training then were left to your own devices. But van shares are a different beast altogether. And it doesn't help constantly chopping and changing newbies on lots of different rounds as well.